Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: U Oregon vs Willamette  (Read 1215 times)

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
U Oregon vs Willamette
« on: May 27, 2008, 01:48:41 AM »
Im in at Willamette, but U Oregon sent me a email asking if I would still like to attend. The difference in tuition is fairly sizable: Willamette with my scholarship would be ~$12,000/year, UO would be ~$25,000 without a scholarship.

Midrange Salary Info from USNWR:
Willamette - $43,200 to $60,000
UO - $48,000 to $89,000

Of course if I lost my scholarship, Willamette would be more expensive than UO; the scholarship is contingent on me maintaining a 2.9gpa which I have recieved varying answers as to what class rank would equate: from top 50% to top 33%.

I knew when I applied that I would not be offered a scholarship at UO, but I was not expecting 16k at Willamette.

S2X

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: U Oregon vs Willamette
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 04:42:14 AM »
Perhaps it's just my bias towards Willamette, but I'd take the money and go to Willamette.  Worst case scenario, you spend about 12 grand and then shell out about 28K the next two years for a total of ~68K.  You said you got no money from U of O, so that would be roughly $75K over three years.

As far as the GPA question goes, based off of first semester ranges in my first-year class, the 50th percentile was 2.86, and the top third was 3.06.  I'll probably know the grade ranges for after first year in about 1-2 weeks.  Yes, the range can be very close, but it's very possible to keep your scholarship.

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 01:18:01 PM »
It's a tuff decision.

UO is where I have I wanted to go for the past 2 years. If WU hadn't have moved from a tier 4 to tier 3, my decision would have been easier. I am just really afraid of losing the scholarship and kicking my self for going to a lesser school for roughly the same price.

I have until sunday to decide if I still would like to attend UO.

L+C

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 05:36:15 PM »
It's a tuff decision.

UO is where I have I wanted to go for the past 2 years. If WU hadn't have moved from a tier 4 to tier 3, my decision would have been easier. I am just really afraid of losing the scholarship and kicking my self for going to a lesser school for roughly the same price.

I have until sunday to decide if I still would like to attend UO.

U of O... or spend the next three years stressing over losing the scholarship instead of focusing on your studies.  The $39,000 difference in tuition (if you keep the scholarship) over three years is the price of a decent car.  Go where you really want to go. 

I took a full scholarship at a lower ranked school and lost it by .05 of a grade point along with dozens of my classmates.  I was lucky that the schools that I really wanted to attend in the first place gave me a second chance as a transfer. 

I can't emphasize enough how stressful it is to worry about losing your scholarship all through 1L on top of figuring everything else out.  Don't be kidded into thinking that only slackers lose scholarships, the harsh curve at my former program turned my 92% in legal writing into a "B" during the spring semester.  In the fall 92% was an "A."  That little hiccup would have cost me 60K, to essentially attend my third choice school for 2L/3L. 

Good luck.

siski

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 01:04:08 PM »
I would say UO, unless you are definitely drawn toward government work in Salem. UO tends to outplace Willamette in the Oregon job market.

And Eugene is a WAY cooler place to live, for what it's worth.

willamette

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 01:38:14 PM »
Not sure about the comment here about better job placement.  U of O is bigger, so more students get jobs because there are more students.  Not even sure if "school attended" is so much of a factor between the two schools that it would make or break a job opportunity.  You run into alums from all three schools at most firms.  You can read my other posts about the opportunities available at Willamette -- you are only one block away from four large Oregon legal entities (Supreme Court, Department of Justice, Marion County Court, Legislature).  Salem is closer to Portland, so you could get a job in portland and commute.  Many Willamette students live in Portland.  I doubt many U of O students live in Portland (too far).  As a first year student you will probably not get a job in a big firm from U of O or Willamette (unless you are diverse)  You have a great chance of getting a job with the Department of Justice as a first year student - this will be in Salem - so you will either commute to work during the summer, or walk to work.  Do not underestimate the cost of gas in you calculations.  Eugene is far from everything except Eugene - if you do not get a job in the town where you attend school, you will do a lot of driving.  Legal intern jobs generally range from 0 dollars an hour to 15 dollars an hour.  You can easily continue to work while attending school in Salem at one of the nearby govt entities. Not sure if this is the case in Eugene.  Also, for the amount you save at Willamette you could take one of the 0 dollar jobs for a summer and get great experience (judicial externship as an example).

That said.  Willamette kicks people out (ugly).  Willamette curves smaller upper level non-bar courses with more than 20 or so studnets (stupid).  And the smaller school provides what I might describe as a skeletal course selection (skimpy).  I think U of O is a little less ugly stupid and skimpy in these areas.

It is your bank account, your loans, and you will probably end up with the same types of opportunities. 

*added later* - clayton - something else to ask about or consider is whether or not professors make previous tests and model answers available for review or study.  While this seems like a small factor it can make or break your GPA.  Some profs at Willamette have NO prior tests available despite the fact they have been teaching for years.  This creates two issues: 1) previous students can give buddies an edge by describing the general format and what to focus on or expect and 2) lazy profs will re-use exams they created earlier and that may not map to what was discussed in your version of thier class.  Whichever school you attend - keep in mind that your academic performance hinges on your ability to learn AND your ability to network and figure out each prof's prefs. Law school is about reading, wrtining, and (unfortunately) schmoozing.

I would say UO, unless you are definitely drawn toward government work in Salem. UO tends to outplace Willamette in the Oregon job market.

And Eugene is a WAY cooler place to live, for what it's worth.

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 12:29:22 AM »
If I had gone to Willamette, I would have wondered "what if?" forever.

I liked Willamette enough to withdraw from the other schools I applied too except for UO... but now I will be a part of the University of Oregon School of Law Class of 2011. 

Thanks for your replies.

L+C

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 02:47:53 AM »
If I had gone to Willamette, I would have wondered "what if?" forever.

I liked Willamette enough to withdraw from the other schools I applied too except for UO... but now I will be a part of the University of Oregon School of Law Class of 2011. 

Thanks for your replies.

Absolutely the right choice.

grover

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 03:07:27 AM »
not sure how it works at Oregon, but see if you can get resident status for your 2nd and 3rd years to get in-state tuition.  i don't think the difference in debt will really be that big a deal...u of o's reputation in the northwest is very strong.  your opportunities will probably be better.  i think you made the right choice for sure.

84ETEagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 06:41:47 AM »
I'm going to Univ of Oregon as well, do you know of any good places to live in the area?