Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Another Waitlist Question  (Read 963 times)

discontent

• View Profile
Another Waitlist Question
« on: May 26, 2008, 01:40:45 PM »
I'm interested in hearing from people who have successfully gotten in off of waitlists, or what people who are still waiting have been doing to show continued interest and/or bolster their applications.

What types of things seem to work, and what don't? If you call the school, what do you say? Should you ask to speak with someone specific or just the receptionist that answers the phone? Does any of this matter?

Thanks.

rmdvu05

• View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Another Waitlist Question
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 12:02:52 PM »
I'm still hanging onto 1 waitlist, and to date I've sent 2 LOCI's, made 1 visit (followed by a hand-written thank-you). Since then I've called maybe 3 times, each time asking to speak with the person I met with on my visit, but once speaking to someone else. At this point I plan on calling every couple weeks to check in, and I just literally say I'm calling to check-in and find out if there has been any movement on the WL or if they expect there to be in the near future. 

Have you visited yet?

iku07

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 02:59:51 PM »
I have gotten into two schools off of the wait list, and as far as I can tell, it is sort of a crapshoot...For one school, I did absolutely nothing but check off "yes, i will remain on the wait list". For the other, I sent in a Letter of Continuing Interest, wrote an additional essay on why I want to go the school and what I could contribute, and had an alum who is a family friend send in an additional recommendation. The alum did not attend the law school, but another graduate school there. I also expressed that they were my first choice and I would absolutely attend if admitted.

I think that visiting schools and scheduling an appointment with an admissions counselor could also help.

Good luck!

SuperDude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 02:40:55 AM »
iku07, same here.  I got off two waitlists by doing almost nothing at one and sending a LOCI to the other.  I've visited two other law schools and sent them LOCIs in person but have not gotten off their list yet.  It is all a matter of standing out at this point.  Law schools are loathe to hand out acceptances to people they arent sure will attend.  Additionally, most schools use the WL to round out their class numbers, so splitters benefit greatly.

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
  • Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 12:09:45 AM »
My personal opinion is that aside from letting them know you'll attend if accepted and keeping them updated of new accomplishments, everything makes little difference.

For what it's worth, I was only accepted off the waitlist of the one school I sent nothing to, but this was the lowest rank school at which I was waitlisted.
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)
Deferred: Northwestern
Waitlisted: Penn ($$)
Rejected: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Chicago