Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: -  (Read 3164 times)

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: ITT You Help Wally Network?
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 12:28:30 AM »
"I'd love to buy you a cup of coffee some time this week if you're available..."

I like that! It's to the point, but informal.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 12:29:22 AM »
I said this to Wally in a PM, but I have a great contact whom I always talk college basketball with. I am not afraid of him like I am of other attorneys I've met (I certainly still feel like a kid).

That's how I felt with this associate.  He's a very intellectual and voluble guy.

WTF does voluble mean?

That said, I was intimidated because I didn't know what we had in common and he was much older. Intellectuality will never scare me off, personally.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

Amistad

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 12:31:21 AM »
Here's my .02

Something lighthearted I think conveys the best message. Example (which won't exactly apply, coming up with it on the fly)

"Mr. X,
  This is Wally Stevens, we met a few months ago at Event Y chatting about law school and all its shenanegians.  I'd love to pick your brain some more on law school to hear from someone who's been through it already - could I buy you a cup of coffee sometime this week and ask you a few questions?

Hope to hear from you,
Wally Stevens"

I took the line from the guy from the previous post. 

This thread is ironic because last night in the bar I went around introducing myself to everyone just for fun.  Course it could have had something to do with the eight Yuenglings, but hey! networking! (Not the best impression was made I'm sure)
3.64/166

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 12:33:38 AM »
You're probably right...keep on talking about "matriculating" and "as you may recall"-ing...
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 12:36:17 AM »
"I'd love to buy you a cup of coffee some time this week if you're available..."

I like that! It's to the point, but informal.

This sounds silly.  He earns more in two hours than I do in an entire day.

Furthermore, I don't know whether he likes or drinks coffee.  Maybe it comes off as too presumptuous.

It's not a matter of him not being able to afford it. It's a matter of it being rude to invite somebody out as a favor to you, and then expecting them to pay for it themselves. Sure, it's only $5, but it's the principle behind it.

Also, "buy you a coffee" is code for "go to some place quick and informal". If he doesn't like coffee, he'll tell you by not ordering it (or so I'd intuit). I would have no qualms about being presumptuous here.

Am I crazy though?
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2008, 12:40:18 AM »
I think its a numbers game more or less and soft factors really aren't really going to influence his decision much either way...

In other words, if he is interested he will probably take you up on the offer regardless of stylistic verbiage..

Amistad

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2008, 12:41:34 AM »
I think its important that while, yes this guy is an attorney and important and all that, he's still a person and being stuffy and matriculating-y isn't the best way (imo) of going about making a network connection. He's got to like you for you (that's what my mommy told me).  I think you should be personal and friendly without being "hey buddy." Something a little friendlier seems appropriate
3.64/166

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2008, 12:54:40 AM »
To me this situation is analogous to the one when you're wearing your favorite band's t-shirt and some stranger compliments you on it and wants to bro-down with you about it...and you just want to enjoy your beer...

Only this time, you've got your male private part in your hand instead of a frosty bottle of Miller Lite...

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2008, 01:04:05 AM »
Do you imagine you'll still feel this way 2-3 years into your 60-70 hour work weeks?  Or God forbid after your first semester of law school? 

That is the question I keep asking myself...

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2008, 01:24:45 AM »
I have a lot of the same feelings.  I just wish it was time to stop thinking about all of this and we could fast-forward to August...

I also think there will be a number of people that are just going to school because they think it will get them a good job/are dreading having to go to class/do homework for the next 3 years...