Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Northwestern vs Georgetown vs UCLA  (Read 3501 times)

Wonderer

• View Profile
Northwestern vs Georgetown vs UCLA
« on: May 25, 2008, 09:36:07 PM »
Pros and Cons anyone? That and if no money, where would you go personally and why?

Northwestern:
Pros: Moderately NLJ250 placement than GULC or UCLA, Chicago, Supposedly collegial atmosphere, portable to DC, NYC.
Cons: Expensive housing, outdated transit system, narrower range of journals/concentrations

GULC:
Pros: Government/PI connections, DC, Superb transit system, large number of journals/concentrations, porable to NYC
Cons: Large class size, recent cutthroatness reputation, Expensive housing

UCLA:
Pros:Los Angeles, Great PI opportunities/journals
Cons: Expensive housing, bad transit system, narrower range of journals/concentrations

mathlete

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Northwestern vs Georgetown vs UCLA
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 10:23:49 PM »
Transit and # of law journals (all but LR are pointless) aren't really factors that should be considered. Employment statistics for the market you want is absolutely #1 priority, which for some strange reason you've left out.

procrastinator

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 03:38:43 AM »
Pros and Cons anyone? That and if no money, where would you go personally and why?

Northwestern:
Pros: Moderately NLJ250 placement than GULC or UCLA, Chicago, Supposedly collegial atmosphere, portable to DC, NYC.
Cons: Expensive housing, outdated transit system, narrower range of journals/concentrations

GULC:
Pros: Government/PI connections, DC, Superb transit system, large number of journals/concentrations, porable to NYC

UCLA:
Cons: Expensive housing, bad transit system, narrower range of journals/concentrations

While agree with Matties that journals should not be central in your decision-making process.  UCLAW has 12 student-run journals.  Do they really cover a narrow range?  What journals do the other two schools have that UCLA doesn't?  But, more importnantly, where do you want to work after graduation?  What kind of legal career do you envision?  And somewhat relatedly, what is your financial situation?  Will you get in state tuition at UCLA?

Wonderer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 04:06:50 AM »

Northwestern:

GULC:

UCLA:

While agree with Matties that journals should not be central in your decision-making process.  UCLAW has 12 student-run journals.  Do they really cover a narrow range?  What journals do the other two schools have that UCLA doesn't?  But, more importnantly, where do you want to work after graduation?  What kind of legal career do you envision?  And somewhat relatedly, what is your financial situation?  Will you get in state tuition at UCLA?

Sorry, I was trying to keep it as a general discussion of the pros and cons of each place and hence not placing my own goals of market placement.  I wanted to see what the general perceptions are. I included transit system quality due to its potential to alleviate the expensive housing if you decide to live further away. Also, while UCLA does have a large number of journals, the majority (8/13) of them are racial/gender/social policy-based journals. But you are probably correct that the other five (Law Review, Entertainment, Technology, Environmental, International) cover a wider range than say Northwestern (Law Review, Criminal Law, International Law/Business, Technology and IP, International Human Rights, and Social Policy). Georgetown though does seem to have a broader selection (Criminal Law, Immigration, Environmental, Gender and Law, International Law, Public Policy, Legal Ethics, Poverty, Law Review, and Tax). 

UCLA Law Review
The Asian Pacific American Law Journal
The Chicano/Latino Law Review
The Dukeminier Awards: Best Sexual Orientation Law Review Articles
Entertainment Law Review
Indigenous Peoples’ Journal of Law Culture & Resistance
The National Black Law Journal
UCLA Journal of Environmental Law and Policy
UCLA Journal of International Law & Foreign Affairs
UCLA Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law
UCLA Journal of Law & Technology
UCLA Pacific Basin Law Journal
UCLA Women’s Law Journal

But since it will probably come up sooner or later, I am looking for to do BigLaw for a while to pay off debts, then hopefully dabble in some government agency work before moving back to BigLaw at the end. Interests are health law, corporate counsel, criminal justice. Also interested in mobility to DC, NY, Chicago, Atlanta, and CA. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks again everyone!

Wonderer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 04:09:07 AM »
Oh, also in regards to financial situation, it appears I will most likely be looking at 180k debt unless the schools find it in their mercy to throw some need-based my way, which unfortunately I have not yet heard about.

William Wonka

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 02:07:02 PM »
UCLA alum here deciding between Northwestern and Georgetown.

Ready, set, go.

Well, Washington, D.C.'s transit system will seem like a gift from God after spending four years at UCLA.

I think GULC and NU are pretty even where it matters. It may come down to what kind of environment you're more comfortable in. If you're a bit older or a few years out of undergrad, NU will probably provide the more appropriate setting. If you're cool with large classes and a younger class, GULC might be a better bet. I would imagine that they have similar national placement, housing costs are similar, etc...

kcf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 08:59:40 PM »
That I am on UCLA's wait list has nothing to do with me strongly encouraging you to go to Northwestern. Or Georgetown.
163/3.77
IN: Minnesota

WL: UCLA

PENDING: Indiana

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 11:43:41 PM »

Northwestern:

GULC:

UCLA:

You seems to have the least oppressive Cons listed for Northwestern  :-\
In: Case Western ($$), IU-B ($$), USD ($$), Pitt ($$), Iowa, Wisconsin , George Mason ($), Loyola-LA ($$), UC-Davis, UIUC ($), American, Tulane ($$),GW
Out: Notre Dame,BC,WUSTL,Cornell,W&L

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 03:37:48 PM »
In your position, I would easily choose NW for the simple fact that employers will recruit deeper into the class than the other two schools.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 12:19:25 AM »
I would go with either Georgetown or Northwestern. If you had a scholarship at UCLA then maybe, but if you're paying full price you may as well go to a truly national school. I'd visit both Chicago/NW and DC/GULC and go with whichever one you like best. Both will provide an excellent education and great job opportunities.