Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: expressing interest in multiple offices in a cover letter  (Read 1190 times)

Megara

• View Profile
expressing interest in multiple offices in a cover letter
« on: May 25, 2008, 09:00:34 PM »
When applying online(symplicity), what is the best method of showing interest in multiple offices without coming across as if i have no ties(i.e. no intention of staying)?   I have legit ties to several big cities(boston, ny, jacksonville, philadelphia, norfolk).  I've lived in several, went to school in some, and have family in all.  Do i avoid the issue of interest in a specific office in my cover letter and just wait for the question during an interview?  I have to mark on symplicity what offices i have interest in anyways.  Do law firms look less favorably on people who apply to a broad range of offices(boston to florida)?

Thanks in advance.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: expressing interest in multiple offices in a cover letter
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 10:30:07 PM »
I would just note that you have interest in city X, Y and Z and that you have various ties to each city and family in all.  I would not say you're interested in 6 cities, but limit it to 2 or 3 for the cover letter/application.  The firm can then look at your resume to see where you've gone to school and note that you have family, school, etc. ties to each city.  You don't have to do all the talking in your cover letter, just highlight why the firm should be interested in you.  The full picture comes from the cover letter and resume together, so let them each do their share of the work!