Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: .  (Read 5009 times)

pig floyd

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: ITT: What's the big friggin' deal with diamonds?
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2008, 09:20:23 PM »
so decoration is not a purpose then?

Form and function are usually separated.
I hate science because I refuse to assume that a discipline based in large part on the continual scrapping and renewal of ideas is unconditionally correct in a given area.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2008, 10:38:47 PM »
so decoration is not a purpose then?

Form and function are usually separated.

I'll function your form!

Alecto

• Sr. Citizen
  • Class of 2011
    • AOL Instant Messenger - oceangirlUGA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2008, 09:49:10 AM »
my philosophy is, the higher-quality the guy (and the more his woman appreciates him), the less expensive diamond (or other) engagement ring he needs to purchase.
the more supportive and understanding the woman, the less expensive ring she will demand. 
It's just important that everyone's on the same page.  A guy proposing to a girl with a rock as big as her hand is in a great relationship if she expects something that costs about the same as a downpayment on a house.
I know someone recently and all I could think about her ring was: a) REALLY gaudy, and b) what's he overcompensating for?
My husband designed a really unique engraved band, b/c we were too poor for a traditional engagement ring.  The Christmas after we got married, we bought a really nice aquamarine to mount on it.  After a while we would both like to get a nice diamond to replace the aquamarine, but I've been in school and he's been working freelance, so that's not really a priority.  I would have rather married him when I did than wait for him to be able to afford a diamond. 

Alecto

• Sr. Citizen
  • Class of 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2008, 09:50:39 AM »
not that I don't like diamonds, as long as they are sourced from responsible mines (try Canada). 

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2008, 10:20:28 AM »
While I understand that conflict diamonds are faux pas, I think a lot of our resources are gained by less then honorable means.  Copper from African villages digging holes near rivers, food products from latin farmers making pennies on the dollar, clothing and fabric from indian and far eastern sweatshop labor, and most of walmarts inventory is clearly based on questionable labor practices in china.  Why should I care more about where my diamonds are coming from then any other luxury good i use on a day to day basis.

Im going to use my 600 to buy an american made flatscreen.  Arent I forward thinking? (Flagellates himself to pay for vanity and elitism)

Alecto

• Sr. Citizen
  • Class of 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2008, 11:47:02 AM »
not that I don't like diamonds, as long as they are sourced from responsible mines (try Canada). 

Isn't Quebec waging a seccessionist campaign against Canada in order to take control over their blood diamonds?  Or did i just make that up?

actually, I think Canada's diamonds come from the far north.  Quebec's secessionist campaign embraces a far wider range of issues, as I understand it.

While I understand that conflict diamonds are faux pas, I think a lot of our resources are gained by less then honorable means.  Copper from African villages digging holes near rivers, food products from latin farmers making pennies on the dollar, clothing and fabric from indian and far eastern sweatshop labor, and most of walmarts inventory is clearly based on questionable labor practices in china.  Why should I care more about where my diamonds are coming from then any other luxury good i use on a day to day basis.

Im going to use my 600 to buy an american made flatscreen.  Arent I forward thinking? (Flagellates himself to pay for vanity and elitism)

I think the African diamond market takes things to a whole new level of inhumanity . . . .  but if I could afford to buy everything local and organic, I would.  a lot of this just goes to policy decisions, unfortunately, and so the American consumer has limited options.

Talk Is Cheap

• Sr. Citizen
  • F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2008, 08:02:42 PM »
1, diamonds aren't a big deal, and they're not that rare...as you all probably know in the post "Blood Diamond" era, diamond cartels just stock up huge back supplies in order to regulate the market flow and thus keep the price high

2, you are a sucker for paying a lot of money for a shiny rock, plain and simple. If you happen to find yourself with a woman who demands one, then you're an even bigger sucker.

3, if you must, moissanite.

J.A.A.N.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2008, 08:19:28 PM »
I say buy what you can afford but don't be a miser. Your fiance will likely be aware enough of your financial status to have some sort of expectation. Hopefully, that expectation is reasonable. If you can afford to, and feel the need to, UPGRADE her at 5 years or so.

That's my 2 cents.

PS. I think my rings are fine but my husband feels the need to tell me he will be upgrading me next year for our 5th anniversary. His choice, not mine.
(Just Adding Another Notch)

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2008, 08:24:54 PM »

You should care about all of it.

pig floyd

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2008, 08:27:42 PM »

You should care about all of it.

Bad Cady!  Get back in the box!
I hate science because I refuse to assume that a discipline based in large part on the continual scrapping and renewal of ideas is unconditionally correct in a given area.