Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: serious advice only  (Read 1236 times)

smiley86

• View Profile
serious advice only
« on: May 25, 2008, 03:42:49 PM »
I took a full scholarship at a T2 school, and now after my first year, I have a gpa just above a 2.5. Mandatory grade curve for first-years is 2.5. I am debating whether or not to stay and go in debt for the next two years (3.3 gpa needed to keep scholarship, so free ride is history). I was employed in the medical field for 18 years, and can currently pull down an annual salary of about 55-60k. My current debt is low since the first year's tuition was covered under the scholarship, and I am wondering if I should cut my losses and drop out now?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: serious advice only
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 04:00:44 PM »
More proof that conditional scholarships are evil. Keeping a 3.0 or a 3.3 doesn't sound too bad if nobody tells you the curve is a 2.7 or a 2.5.

I suppose the choice from here on out is up to you. It sounds like you will likely have less disposable income in the conceivable future if you continue with the law school route. Do you like law enough to take a pay cut in order to practice?

Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

smiley86

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 04:03:42 PM »
More proof that conditional scholarships are evil. Keeping a 3.0 or a 3.3 doesn't sound too bad if nobody tells you the curve is a 2.7 or a 2.5.

I suppose the choice from here on out is up to you. It sounds like you will likely have less disposable income in the conceivable future if you continue with the law school route. Do you like law enough to take a pay cut in order to practice?

I guess my biggest concern is the fact that I will be in my mid-forties when I graduate and taking on significant more debt when my job prospects are not that great. And, they did not tell me that the forced curve was set at 2.5, I should have asked, but too late now.

bossofyou

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 04:23:46 PM »
Write it off as an another of life's lessons.  This is a serious response.  You are obviously a bright person to get a full scholarship.  For whatever reason you did not score well on your LS exams.  It is time to move on. 

If you throw more money at LS and graduate, you will likely make less than $60k.  If you were younger maybe it would still be worth it.  The fact that the atty earning ceiling is high may benefit someone in the long run.  But, by graduating in your mid 40's, that someone is probably not you.  In addition to the LS debt, you will be passing up on opportunity costs of $60k X 2.

A sincere good luck to you!

jimbob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 04:28:21 PM »

my advice (as a non-trad) is to cut your losses and pursue a MBA.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 06:41:39 PM »
Yeah, this doesn't look good.  Write up the pros and cons of being a lawyer.  If the pros don't outweigh the cons substantially, get out while you still can. 
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 02:48:34 AM »
I think the question is whether you really want to be a lawyer?  I mean, you had to know going in that you wouldnt get a biglaw job at a tier two (at least not without being at the top).  Im assuming you were realistic about your job opportunities.  If you have 18 years work experience, you will still be desirable to some employers and will still get a job.  Explore job prospects in the fields you want to practice in before making any decisions. 

you are in your forties or will be, but all that means is that you should make sure you use the rest of your life to do something you enjoy.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 03:21:57 AM »
This is tough, best of luck to you. The advice in this thread seems really good so far.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

wcombs65

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 06:33:31 AM »
With a science background, you may look into finishing the J.D. and getting into Intellectual Property.  With your experience and some better grades you can make some good money in that field.

confusedatquinnipiac

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 08:04:38 AM »
If you haven't already, might want to look into getting a health care compliance certificate which usualy requires JD and MBA classes. Seems like a good option given your past in medicine and should bump your salary up some. Also, since some lawyers do it, you would be doing some of the same work as a lawyer but without the degree.... just a thought anyways