Law School Discussion

God doesn't like Lawyers

Astro

• Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
Re: God doesn't like Lawyers
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2008, 10:15:28 PM »
Dude, like it or not, religion isn't logical.

I'm not saying it's completely irrational, nor am I saying it's unreasonable (although the latter is an interesting debate).  But it is illogical.  The premises lack proof.  That's the entire point: it's a leap of faith.

Poking fun at the logic of religion isn't bigotry.  It's humorous.  Furthermore, being annoyed at vehement fundamentalists is just as much a right as it is to be a fundamentalist. 

Nobody was hating on you or others for your/their religion.  At most, people were poking fun at the extremes.  Even then, nobody was dehumanized in the process.

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2008, 10:16:56 PM »
my dearest Alton, this thread was hijacked by some overly-serious champion of religions, and I think we are all feeling a little on the defensive as we try to right what was supposed to be a light-hearted discussion about an article.

TITCR

1)  Making discriminatory statements about people based on their religious views is innappropriate and shouldn't be celebrated as a light hearted joke
and
2)  Religion appears to now be okay to ridicule, while other, old targets are now beyond the pale.
Believe me, if this post was about how black people, gay people, women, or any other group was more prone to fail out of law school due to an inability to reason, I would have posted just the same.
You are preparing to be lawyers.  As such, I feel that you should represent yourself better than making fun of people because they believe in god.

I really have trouble finding where people did this (things mentioned above).  I don't think it's out of line for a poster to muse on whether or not people who profess strong religious beliefs might have, in fact, spent a significant amount of time praying for good grades.  Strongly religious people usually do a lot of praying and do, often, pray for certain outcomes or guidance, etc.  If you perceive the early posts to fall into those categories above, then I think you arrived at this site looking to pick a fight.  If that's not the case, then it seems that you automatically assume we are all anti-religion, and you know what happens when you ASS-U-ME.

Then let me help you understand.
The OP made fun of people who failed out, and joked that they did so because they are irrational and prayed too much instead of studying.  This is a bigoted statement, born out of an attempt at humor yet still telling.
Yes, religious people pray.  Did it ever occur to you that those prayers are not a substitute for hard work and studying?
Nah.  You're right.  Nothing is offensive unless it offends you.
And to those who make the cheap argument about CHOICE of religion vs. choice of gender, you miss the point.
Yes, people choose to be religious.  But that doesn't make it fair game to make fun of them.
Period.
My point wasn't about 'choice' it was about manners.
You can continue to excuse bad behavior all you like.
As I said before, you intend to become attorney's.  Attorney's, in my opinion, have degraded their perceived value in society.  You can continue this trend by laughing at others with whom you share very little, or you can try to think a little and realize that your actions, including your 'jokes', reflect on all of us.
Me personally?  I think it is a sad day when law students get together to make fun of people's religion, especially in a nation where religion is constitutionally protected.
You don't get it?  Then you never will.
I hope you enjoy being censured as an attorney when you make a crack that you think is funny but offends others.

Bad taste? Sure. Bigoted? I don't think so. The best jokes are those that offend some and amuse others. Of course it's not good manners to make fun of religion - if I'm in polite company, I make sure to avoid the subjects of money, politics and religion, like any other well-adjusted person. In my original post, I was merely offering a suggestion as to why those religious students had lower academic performance.

Oh, and just clarification - I wasn't the OP, I was just the first person to comment on the article he/she posted (although I still think he/she meant the article to be in jest - I have a hard time believing that someone would title a thread "God doesn't like Lawyers" without tongue being firmly planted in cheek).

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2008, 10:18:37 PM »
Even then, nobody was dehumanized in the process.

It's my right to be dehumanized if I want to be.  Plus, most people here actually believe I'm a pig.

Remedialone

• Patriotism is the refuge of a scoundrel.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2008, 04:08:51 AM »
Even then, nobody was dehumanized in the process.

It's my right to be dehumanized if I want to be.  Plus, most people here actually believe I'm a pig.

You type well for a pig, that can't be easy on cloven hoofs.  I bet you are delicious though.  If I were you I would hang out with Jeff though because Christians are forbidden from eating pork, even though most ignore it.   :)

Alecto

• Class of 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2008, 12:21:54 PM »
my dearest Alton, this thread was hijacked by some overly-serious champion of religions, and I think we are all feeling a little on the defensive as we try to right what was supposed to be a light-hearted discussion about an article.

TITCR

1)  Making discriminatory statements about people based on their religious views is innappropriate and shouldn't be celebrated as a light hearted joke
and
2)  Religion appears to now be okay to ridicule, while other, old targets are now beyond the pale.
Believe me, if this post was about how black people, gay people, women, or any other group was more prone to fail out of law school due to an inability to reason, I would have posted just the same.
You are preparing to be lawyers.  As such, I feel that you should represent yourself better than making fun of people because they believe in god.

I really have trouble finding where people did this (things mentioned above).  I don't think it's out of line for a poster to muse on whether or not people who profess strong religious beliefs might have, in fact, spent a significant amount of time praying for good grades.  Strongly religious people usually do a lot of praying and do, often, pray for certain outcomes or guidance, etc.  If you perceive the early posts to fall into those categories above, then I think you arrived at this site looking to pick a fight.  If that's not the case, then it seems that you automatically assume we are all anti-religion, and you know what happens when you ASS-U-ME.

Then let me help you understand.
The OP made fun of people who failed out, and joked that they did so because they are irrational and prayed too much instead of studying.  This is a bigoted statement, born out of an attempt at humor yet still telling.
Yes, religious people pray.  Did it ever occur to you that those prayers are not a substitute for hard work and studying?
Nah.  You're right.  Nothing is offensive unless it offends you.
And to those who make the cheap argument about CHOICE of religion vs. choice of gender, you miss the point.
Yes, people choose to be religious.  But that doesn't make it fair game to make fun of them.
Period.
My point wasn't about 'choice' it was about manners.
You can continue to excuse bad behavior all you like.
As I said before, you intend to become attorney's.  Attorney's, in my opinion, have degraded their perceived value in society.  You can continue this trend by laughing at others with whom you share very little, or you can try to think a little and realize that your actions, including your 'jokes', reflect on all of us.
Me personally?  I think it is a sad day when law students get together to make fun of people's religion, especially in a nation where religion is constitutionally protected.
You don't get it?  Then you never will.
I hope you enjoy being censured as an attorney when you make a crack that you think is funny but offends others.

If you really want to be an attorney, then I suggest you develop a thicker skin.  I imagine the disciplinary committee is similar to a judge, in that it does not appreciate frivolous complaints.  Save your breath for an attorney that is being unethical, not one that just has poor taste in jokes.  I am beginning to wonder, however, if you do want to be an attorney, or if you're just some a@@hole troll, b/c you keep commenting about how "you" want to be attorneys, not how "we" want to be attorneys.  Maybe you're just too good to lump yourselves in with the rest of us?  And by the way, it's "attorneys" not "attorney's."  Inappropriate use of the possessive apostrophe really irks me.

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2008, 01:19:30 PM »

We allow muslims special concessions in public schools all over this country so they can pray and observe their religious beliefs.  I have no issue with this.  However, if a Christian kid wants to pray in school, it's against the law. 

Link?

I tried to address this point in a previous post: We allow muslims to pray because they must pray five times a day, and preventing them would constitute discrimination. Christian kids are allowed to pray all the want in school, the teachers just aren't allowed to mandate it, or appear to approve of Christian prayer more than, say, Islamic praying, or even the lack of prayer.

Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2008, 03:15:21 PM »
Is jeffislouie the dawn of a whole new type of troll?

Only time will tell.

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2008, 03:57:58 PM »

We allow muslims special concessions in public schools all over this country so they can pray and observe their religious beliefs.  I have no issue with this.  However, if a Christian kid wants to pray in school, it's against the law. 

Link?

I tried to address this point in a previous post: We allow muslims to pray because they must pray five times a day, and preventing them would constitute discrimination. Christian kids are allowed to pray all the want in school, the teachers just aren't allowed to mandate it, or appear to approve of Christian prayer more than, say, Islamic praying, or even the lack of prayer.

Yeah, I saw your post.  I guess I just wanted him to acknowledge the ridiculousness of this statement.

Pretty sure that's not happening any time soon.

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2008, 05:30:55 PM »

If you really want to be an attorney, then I suggest you develop a thicker skin.  I imagine the disciplinary committee is similar to a judge, in that it does not appreciate frivolous complaints.  Save your breath for an attorney that is being unethical, not one that just has poor taste in jokes.  I am beginning to wonder, however, if you do want to be an attorney, or if you're just some a@@hole troll, b/c you keep commenting about how "you" want to be attorneys, not how "we" want to be attorneys.  Maybe you're just too good to lump yourselves in with the rest of us?  And by the way, it's "attorneys" not "attorney's."  Inappropriate use of the possessive apostrophe really irks me.

Thanks for the advice.
You can imagine all you want.  You are beginning to wonder if I want to be an attorney?  Good for you.  I'm beginning to wonder if I should care even a little bit about what you are beginning to wonder about.
I am no 'troll'.  I am an active member of this board, a law student, and a person who doesn't like to let it lie when people insult others based on their religious beliefs. 
Thanks for the lesson in proper grammar - the true mark of a person who is frustrated, unable to argue, and either embarrassed to be wrong in anyway or unable to accept that they are wrong.
The reason I used the word "you" and not the word "we" is that I wasn't condemning my own bad behavior, I was condemning yours (which is perpetual).
Say what you want, I don't really mind - but making fun of people who failed out of law school because they are religious and incapable of reason (or pray too much or whatever you reasoning is) isn't okay.  And, frankly speaking, I don't want to be associated with people who think that sort of joke is at all humorous.
So yes, I AM too good to associate with the likes of you.
Instead of letting it go (which would be mature - by both of us), admitting it was in poor taste, or simply making sure to be clear to all who come here that this was a light hearted joke, you choose to vilify me and attack me for standing up for what I believe is right (which is that people shouldn't be made fun of for being religious OR for failing out of law school).
Guess what?  Your opinion is of no consequence precisely BECAUSE of your behavior.
Yes, this was a joke.  Yes, I responded, a heinous crime, by pointing out that the statement made was unacceptable, offensive, and bigoted.  Do I deserve to be attacked, called a troll, and given grammar lessons?  Maybe in your world.
But then again, I don't live in your world.  I am an adult.  I am careful not to say things that come off as bigoted or offensive.  I find no joy in reading that people fail out of law school, nor do I find it funny when people make fun of religious people for their faith.  I'm sorry that doesn't conform to your standards.

And let me make this perfectly clear - if you are representative of the type of person who becomes an attorney (and thankfully, you are more of an excpetion), then I don't WANT to be 'lumped in' with you in any way, shape or form.

You can choose to live your life however you wish.  I'll be the one taking the high road, not making fun of people for their religious beliefs or academic acheivements or failures.

And it doesn't make me a troll to not respond to insipid comments either.  It makes me intelligent.
I do so appreciate the grammar lesson.
Here is a couple of annoying improper apostrohes for you:

The'yll
Iv'e
Wer'e
apostroph'es
ass'hole

Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2008, 05:36:48 PM »
The statement was not bigoted.  Offensive, maybe, but if it's not bigoted, then the mere fact that you're offended isn't necessarily a huge deal.

And you can be an active member of the board and still sometimes be a troll.  Case in point: me.