Astro

• Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
Re: God doesn't like Lawyers
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2008, 09:27:05 AM »
::flexes religiously::

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2008, 11:39:30 AM »
my dearest Alton, this thread was hijacked by some overly-serious champion of religions, and I think we are all feeling a little on the defensive as we try to right what was supposed to be a light-hearted discussion about an article.

TITCR

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2008, 12:36:41 PM »
my dearest Alton, this thread was hijacked by some overly-serious champion of religions, and I think we are all feeling a little on the defensive as we try to right what was supposed to be a light-hearted discussion about an article.

TITCR

I am no champion of religion.
I simply find it reprehensible that the rules have changed.  It is now okay to make 'jokes' about how religious people lack the ability to properly reason, but if instead the word 'gay' or 'black' or 'female' were used instead, people get all angry.
I was merely trying to illustrate two things:
1)  Making discriminatory statements about people based on their religious views is innappropriate and shouldn't be celebrated as a light hearted joke
and
2)  Religion appears to now be okay to ridicule, while other, old targets are now beyond the pale.
Believe me, if this post was about how black people, gay people, women, or any other group was more prone to fail out of law school due to an inability to reason, I would have posted just the same.
You are preparing to be lawyers.  As such, I feel that you should represent yourself better than making fun of people because they believe in god.

EarlCat

• i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2008, 01:18:04 PM »
Believe me, if this post was about how black people, gay people, women, or any other group was more prone to fail out of law school due to an inability to reason, I would have posted just the same.

Wow, what a horrible comparison.  Being religious by definition means you are, at least in some aspects of your life, relying on faith rather than reason.  Being black, white, gay, or female doesn't.

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2008, 01:25:26 PM »
I simply find it reprehensible that the rules have changed.  It is now okay to make 'jokes' about how religious people lack the ability to properly reason...

I think you might come to a different conclusion if you get out of the ivory tower and take a look around this country.   :)

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2008, 01:32:12 PM »

Wow, what a horrible comparison.  Being religious by definition means you are, at least in some aspects of your life, relying on faith rather than reason.  Being black, white, gay, or female doesn't.

This was my entire point. I don't seriously think that religious people are more prone to do poorly in law school - although the study cited in the original post can make a case for that - I was merely cracking wise on what I thought was a humorous situation.

If blacks, whites, gays, or females start making irrational arguments about their views being taught in public schools and displayed in government facilities, I will be the first to ridicule them.

EarlCat

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2008, 02:24:03 PM »
Even then, being at least partially irrational is not a prerequisite for being black/white/gay/female.  They wouldn't be irrational because of being XYZ.

Alecto

• Class of 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2008, 03:20:42 PM »

TITCR

1)  Making discriminatory statements about people based on their religious views is innappropriate and shouldn't be celebrated as a light hearted joke
and
2)  Religion appears to now be okay to ridicule, while other, old targets are now beyond the pale.
You are preparing to be lawyers.  As such, I feel that you should represent yourself better than making fun of people because they believe in god.

I really have trouble finding where people did this (things mentioned above).  I don't think it's out of line for a poster to muse on whether or not people who profess strong religious beliefs might have, in fact, spent a significant amount of time praying for good grades.  Strongly religious people usually do a lot of praying and do, often, pray for certain outcomes or guidance, etc.  If you perceive the early posts to fall into those categories above, then I think you arrived at this site looking to pick a fight.  If that's not the case, then it seems that you automatically assume we are all anti-religion, and you know what happens when you ASS-U-ME.

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2008, 05:12:17 PM »

TITCR

and

I really have trouble finding where people did this (things mentioned above).  I don't think it's out of line for a poster to muse on whether or not people who profess strong religious beliefs might have, in fact, spent a significant amount of time praying for good grades.  Strongly religious people usually do a lot of praying and do, often, pray for certain outcomes or guidance, etc.  If you perceive the early posts to fall into those categories above, then I think you arrived at this site looking to pick a fight.  If that's not the case, then it seems that you automatically assume we are all anti-religion, and you know what happens when you ASS-U-ME.

Then let me help you understand.
The OP made fun of people who failed out, and joked that they did so because they are irrational and prayed too much instead of studying.  This is a bigoted statement, born out of an attempt at humor yet still telling.
Yes, religious people pray.  Did it ever occur to you that those prayers are not a substitute for hard work and studying?
Nah.  You're right.  Nothing is offensive unless it offends you.
And to those who make the cheap argument about CHOICE of religion vs. choice of gender, you miss the point.
Yes, people choose to be religious.  But that doesn't make it fair game to make fun of them.
Period.
My point wasn't about 'choice' it was about manners.
You can continue to excuse bad behavior all you like.
As I said before, you intend to become attorney's.  Attorney's, in my opinion, have degraded their perceived value in society.  You can continue this trend by laughing at others with whom you share very little, or you can try to think a little and realize that your actions, including your 'jokes', reflect on all of us.
Me personally?  I think it is a sad day when law students get together to make fun of people's religion, especially in a nation where religion is constitutionally protected.
You don't get it?  Then you never will.
I hope you enjoy being censured as an attorney when you make a crack that you think is funny but offends others.

EarlCat

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2008, 08:52:30 PM »
God forbid someone start telling lawyer jokes.  :o