Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HELP! Just got in off NYU's waitlist...  (Read 2502 times)

CLS_1L

• View Profile
Re: HELP! Just got in off NYU's waitlist...
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 06:32:36 PM »
I took CLS with $0 over Michigan with ~$20 per year. Looking back, while I may have a little confirmation bias, I believe that I absolutely made the right decision. However, I'm likely going into Biglaw for at least a few years. I'm not sure I would have made the same choice if I was sure I wanted to do public interest. Factoring in NYU's very expensive housing and the cost of living in NYC, I don't think NYU is worth ~80K more than Michigan for someone public interest minded. Michigan is a fantastic school and their US News reputation scores are still very high, actually higher than NYU's this year.

Betsy 1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 08:46:08 PM »
Thanks everyone, you've helped me to get some perspective.  I have an appointment to go visit Michigan this Friday, and I'm hoping to fall in love with it, as so many people seem to do.  I do feel really, REALLY lucky to have been accepted there and given financial aid; my numbers didn't really deserve it.  I've asked NYU for an extension on the decision until next Monday, so hopefully they'll grant it, and give me a chance to make a more informed decision.  Please feel free to continue offering your opinions; it helps to get me out of my own repetitive mental circle of deliberation...

SteelersandGators

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008, 09:55:03 PM »
Go to NYU. There's a reason the tiers in the T14 include MVP being lower than CCN.

That's funny, because the people assigning reputation scores to Michigan and Virginia clearly didn't make the distinction.
UVA Law Class of 2011

SteelersandGators

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2008, 10:15:25 PM »
^^^^^^^^

Agreed. HYS and then maybe Columbia and Chicago.

Unless you want to work in NYC, I just don't see how NYU is much different from a school like Michigan.
UVA Law Class of 2011

mathlete

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 10:20:49 PM »
Go to NYU. There's a reason the tiers in the T14 include MVP being lower than CCN.

That's funny, because the people assigning reputation scores to Michigan and Virginia clearly didn't make the distinction.

Maybe you can bring the article with you and try argue your case to the interviewer when the CCN grad gets hired over you for the job you want.

SteelersandGators

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2008, 10:27:28 PM »

Maybe you can bring the article with you and try argue your case to the interviewer when the CCN grad gets hired over you for the job you want.

I think I'll be fine coming from UVA  :). I'm not too worried about it. And if I have to settle for Vault 100 instead of Vault 10, I think I'll survive.

I thought I accomplished something by being accepted to a T14 (and top 10 at that). Now I'm supposed to worry that I didn't make it into the best subtiers within the T14? Nah, I don't care enough to worry...
UVA Law Class of 2011

sinkfloridasink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 10:29:52 PM »

I think I'll be fine coming from UVA  :). I'm not too worried about it. And if I have to settle for Vault 100 instead of Vault 10, I think I'll survive.

I thought I accomplished something by being accepted to a T14 (and top 10 at that). Now I'm supposed to worry that I didn't make it into the best subtiers within the T14? Nah, I don't care enough to worry...
Yes, you're obviously doomed to a life of mediocrity.
Tulane c/o 2011

mathlete

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2008, 11:09:09 PM »

BigLaw Hiring Partner: "Sorry, kid.  You made Michigan's Law Review, you clerked for Thomas, and you're obviously brilliant, but we just hired someone from NYU."

OP: "If only my school was considered slightly more prestigious by a commercial ranking!  That's what they've been telling me all around town."

*sees NYU grad in the hallway, NYU grad sees Michigan grad, former runs away*

OP: "You better run!  You better run!"

::)

So why didn't you go to a school like Cornell, GULC, or Northwestern? After all, they're just in a "slightly" less prestigious tier than MVP.

mathlete

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2008, 11:31:16 PM »
I didn't go to an MVP school, either.  I don't follow.

Why didn't you go to an MVP school then? Or, better yet, would you have gone to HYS instead?

There's a reason people don't turn down Yale for Georgetown just because the former is "slightly" more prestigious.

biggame

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2008, 11:35:40 PM »
nyu = greater debt = bondage   

I don't care what people say...get over the prestige/higher ranking deal and make a logical decision. Go to Michigan.