Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bar Exam Rumor - Do well on the MBE and you will pass  (Read 27019 times)

florida357

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bar Exam Rumor - Do well on the MBE and you will pass
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 07:11:04 PM »
You need to practice questions and take practice tests and realize a 90% raw is nearly impossible but for a handful of test takers.

Here is info from California that shows the raw score to scaled score conversion for one administration:
http://www.calbar.ca.gov/calbar/pdfs/admissions/Unsuccessful_info.pdf

A 165 SCALED score usually required only about 80% correct raw, and that already puts you at the 95th percentile of all test takers. Those few people who got a 180 scaled probably only got about 85% correct. 

So to answer your question, 75 to 80% correct for a top test taker is a more realistic goal, with 90% being possible but not really a target you need to do very, very well.

By the way, even with the MBE being only 40%, its still worth putting in a TONS of effort and I wouldn't suggest its much of a difference whether the MBE is 40 or 50 percent of the scaled score.  Assume once again a 135 passing average needed and you get a 162 on the MBE.  Then you'd need a 117 on the essays.  Thats still a really low threshold to get.  I made an error before.  A 108 for Connecticut isnt the bottom 17 percent, its the bottom 17 TESTTAKERS.And only another 10 got a score between 108 and 117.

The main point remains the same: MBE, MBE, MBE.  It will be a lot harder to make up ground on the essays, but the MBE scale rises faster than the raw score total.  So each question makes a difference, and a bigger difference at the higher end.

So if about 70% of takers pass the exam, and it requires about 70% right to pass, and 80% right puts you in the top 5%, then 65% of takers score between 70% and 80% of the questions correct. 

It just seems like a small margin for everyone to be grouped in.  But I guess its about the same with the LSAT.

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 09:30:40 PM »
The rumor is not true, there is not much more to say on the subject.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

gambi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 09:48:17 AM »
So if about 70% of takers pass the exam, and it requires about 70% right to pass, and 80% right puts you in the top 5%, then 65% of takers score between 70% and 80% of the questions correct. 

It just seems like a small margin for everyone to be grouped in.  But I guess its about the same with the LSAT.

Actually, a passing score for most states is an MBE equivalent of 135.  Which is usually no more than 120 rap.  So it requires about 60% correct to pass. 

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 02:43:43 PM »

Actually, a passing score for most states is an MBE equivalent of 135.  Which is usually no more than 120 rap.  So it requires about 60% correct to pass. 

Only 60%? PMBR told us we need around a 65% to pass, but I hope it's 60%, for that is pretty much what I'm scoring now on my practice questions (at least, in Con Law so far...).

gambi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 03:18:38 PM »
Most bar exam courses  set a target at the point where , if you hit it, you will comfortably pass.

And since, like the LSAT, the raw score translates to different scaled scores, the best way of handling it is to overestimate what you need as a raw score to guarantee a certain mimimum scaled score.

What state are you taking?  The key is to know what your state's cut score is to get the best sense of whether you are on target. 

http://www.abanet.org/legaled/publications/compguide2006/chart7.pdf

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2008, 03:52:40 PM »
Most bar exam courses  set a target at the point where , if you hit it, you will comfortably pass.

And since, like the LSAT, the raw score translates to different scaled scores, the best way of handling it is to overestimate what you need as a raw score to guarantee a certain mimimum scaled score.

What state are you taking?  The key is to know what your state's cut score is to get the best sense of whether you are on target. 

http://www.abanet.org/legaled/publications/compguide2006/chart7.pdf

Taking Nevada's.  Unfortunately, in Nevada, the MBE accounts for only 1/3rd of your overall passing grade, meaning the key in passing is mostly on the essays/MPT.  Speaking of the essays, am I the only one who thinks the detailed BarBri sample answers set a ridiculous standard?  There is no way in hell my answer could ever hope to reach that amount of detail in just one hour!  Feeling the pressure now...