Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Job from Tier 4  (Read 3909 times)

J0nKimble

• View Profile
    • Email
Job from Tier 4
« on: May 24, 2008, 01:44:04 AM »
I just want to encourage anyone with a true passion for law to acknowledge that desire and go for the goal regardless of a school ranking.  I just graduated from a tier 4, and have obtained employment with an excellent firm, with incredible pay over the next 3 years.  $100,000 is not strictly reserved for the top tiers.  Let this be a lesson.  The bottom line, the firm hires a person, not a resume.  I beat out several tier 1 grads for this position, and 2 practicing attorneys.  Do not feel dejected by all the comments plastered over this message board degrading a tier 4 education.  Overcoming adversity and persevering can be an incredibly attractive utility to employers.   

El_Che

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • 0L Musings
Re: Job from Tier 4
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 02:15:29 AM »
It's like wii's antithesis.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 03:21:38 AM »
What was your class rank?
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

lawmama09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 11:23:36 AM »
It's also important to pay attention to the connections your school has in the local area. I go to a T3 school but it's well known in the local market and the larger regional firms here do hire from my school (generally from the top 1/3 of the class). It's not the same salary as you'd make in a major market, but it's still over 6 figures with a lower cost of living.

J0nKimble

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 01:46:42 PM »
My class rank was in the top third, I won't know my official rank until June.  The job is not only for 3 years, but there is a review at that point.  Connections factor into many jobs and this one presented itself throug networking, however, my point is that the education is should not be deemed inferior. 

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 02:49:07 PM »
My class rank was in the top third, I won't know my official rank until June.  The job is not only for 3 years, but there is a review at that point.  Connections factor into many jobs and this one presented itself throug networking, however, my point is that the education is should not be deemed inferior. 

I thought your point was a firm hires a person, not a resume?  The credible argument against T4s is not that the education is inferior.  I always thought that argument was a little ridiculous.  Many brilliant professors work at lower ranked schools and the education you can receive there is comparable to many other much higher ranked schools.  The argument against T4s is that many do not have good reputations so most graduates are unlikely to score the high-paying jobs right out of law school that many aspiring law students dream about.  Sure, there are some T4s with decent regional reputations that allow highly ranked graduates who networked to get great jobs right off the bat, but I seriously doubt most of your fellow classmates were as fortunate as you were.  I'm sure there were some hard-working students that graduated near the bottom of your class that just couldn't get their grades up.  Their problem was not that they were slackers or didn't have the desire to succeed, they just couldn't perform well on law school exams.  Maybe some of them will turn out to be great attorneys nonetheless, but they have themselves an uphill battle. 

The fact that you think coming out of a low-ranked law school with a decent job qualifies as "overcoming adversity" is a little funny.  To me adversity, means a lot more serious stuff like sexual abuse or death of a loved one.  But whatever, if that's the road you want to go down, you should argue that even T4 grads in the bottom of their class still have the potential to become successful, well-paid attorneys if they start out as solos or at some no-name tiny firm in the middle of nowhere and work their asses off.  I don't know why people don't make this argument more often.  It's a helluva lot better than anecdotal accounts of graduates from low-ranked schools who were fortunate enough to find a well-paying job (also, "well-paying" doesn't mean the job is actually enjoyable either, but that's an argument for another day).

J0nKimble

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 11:15:07 AM »
 Dr. you raise some valid points and I appreciate your argument.  My anecdote clearly is not the "norm" for my graduating class, and for that I agree with you that I am fortunate.  My message was not intended to combat the significant number of posts cautioning a tier 4 education (for any reason).  Rather, I DID intend to encourage anyone who truly wants to follow their dream.  It cannot be overstated that YOU decide your future, not your school.  That is my point.  This post originated primarily out of my own uncertainty as to my decision as I entered law school, and I just wanted to convey my story.  This is perseverence from MY life, and no one elses.  Please realize that overcoming adversity does not have an objective standard.  I do not intend to belittle anyone who has overcome much greater obstacles in life, such as those you have mentioned.  So, to the extent that I sound shallow and sheltered, I apologize, but I think you may have misinterpreted my address. 

slightlybehind

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 03:39:34 PM »
What school did you attend?

jimbob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 04:25:16 PM »

can you provide detail on your'connections'? 

J0nKimble

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 05:23:46 PM »
I attended Appalachian, my connections were from a judicial clerkship in a neighboring county.