Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Miami 2L Taking Questions  (Read 981 times)

VTMercutio

• "All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
    • View Profile
Miami 2L Taking Questions
« on: May 23, 2008, 10:45:10 PM »
This board was always helpful for me, so I figured for anyone who has decided to attend UM I could give advice/steer you in the right direction.

Anything I can help with, just ask, where to live, reading over the summer, etc.

BTW Congrats on getting in to UM  ;D
University of Miami Class of 2010

Prize Fight Promoter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don King with a Law Degree
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jshap4321
    • View Profile
Re: Miami 2L Taking Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 12:42:10 PM »
Hey.. thanks for taking questions. 

1) What do you wish you did the summer before 1L that you didn't do?

2) I have a 45 pound dog and I am looking for housing.  I want to live very close to campus.  Do you know which building would be a possibility for me?  Ideally I would want to live in a house but people I am contacting to live with are not satisfied with the quality of the houses.  Any advice?

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 12:48:52 PM »
1) Summer job?
2) Debt-load?

VTMercutio

• "All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 08:02:13 PM »
1) I did most everything I wanted to do before law school in the year I took off after undergrad. The best thing to do is seriously just relax and hang out with family and friends as much as possible before law school. Once you get to law school, it envelopes you and sometimes it gets hard to find time for them when you are at your busiest. If you are really dying for something to get you ready for law school at UM, read the Buffalo Creek Disaster and A Civil Action. You may get Professor Alfieri for Civil Procedure (I had him) and you will need to read both of these before the first class. You'll be ahead of the pack if you read these and have him; I didn't know I had to read these books before the first class and didn't find out until 8am on a Friday, Monday was the first class. Professor Alfieri is a pretty intense professor who makes you stand up when you are called on, but he is a great professor at the same time. Other books that may be a bit more general but good to read are Law School Confidential and Getting to Maybe.

2) As far as places are concerned, try and be as close to school as possible. A house might be hard to come by this year unless you are a local. The houses generally speaking don't advertise and are pretty difficult to find. I found my duplex, which also has a backyard, on craigslist. Don't freak out too much about finding a place ASAP, I didn't sign my lease until the middle of July and that isn't at all odd. I was used to signing a lease in my college town and you had to sign for a place as early as January for the next year. The opposite is true in Miami; most of the places are incredibly reluctant to have the place sit on the market at all. Then again the market has gotten much worse, and a great deal of condos are coming on the market in Miami, so that will give you some wiggle room to haggle prices. I have a few friends with pets, and most places I have seen allow you to have pets, but some may have a weight limitation below 40 pounds. If that was the case...I would just say that your pet is 40 pounds...

http://www.law.miami.edu/ps/ps_07.php?op=7

That is a good place to start if you are looking at the apartments around UM. A good deal of first years live in the University housing or the Valencia. Like I said I got a 1000sq/ft 2 room duplex for 1100 a month, so there are places you can find if you look hard enough. If you are looking for more specific information, just ask, I feel like I've already babbled on too much on housing

3) As far as a summer job is concerned, I decided to study abroad this summer. The summer abroad program is amazing and I couldn't resist. Other people seem to have gotten jobs if they were flexible, a few got paying, most non-paid jobs. Miami has a pretty amazing career services center and if you are flexible you'll get a good job.

4) My debt is going to be pretty hefty, but thats a fact of life if your family isn't wealthy, or you had an amazing GPA and LSAT. The good news is last I heard the average starting salary out of Miami was around 105k a year...which also includes those public sector jobs that make much less than the private sector.

Anything else? I'm happy to lower the stress a bit for anyone if I can.

University of Miami Class of 2010

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 02:01:58 AM »
3) As far as a summer job is concerned, I decided to study abroad this summer. The summer abroad program is amazing and I couldn't resist. Other people seem to have gotten jobs if they were flexible, a few got paying, most non-paid jobs. Miami has a pretty amazing career services center and if you are flexible you'll get a good job.

4) My debt is going to be pretty hefty, but thats a fact of life if your family isn't wealthy, or you had an amazing GPA and LSAT. The good news is last I heard the average starting salary out of Miami was around 105k a year...which also includes those public sector jobs that make much less than the private sector.

lol... :-\

no634

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 05:15:35 AM »

2) As far as places are concerned, try and be as close to school as possible. A house might be hard to come by this year unless you are a local. The houses generally speaking don't advertise and are pretty difficult to find. I found my duplex, which also has a backyard, on craigslist. Don't freak out too much about finding a place ASAP, I didn't sign my lease until the middle of July and that isn't at all odd. I was used to signing a lease in my college town and you had to sign for a place as early as January for the next year. The opposite is true in Miami; most of the places are incredibly reluctant to have the place sit on the market at all. Then again the market has gotten much worse, and a great deal of condos are coming on the market in Miami, so that will give you some wiggle room to haggle prices. I have a few friends with pets, and most places I have seen allow you to have pets, but some may have a weight limitation below 40 pounds. If that was the case...I would just say that your pet is 40 pounds...

There are a lot of places for rent since people aren't buying condos anymore. Some buildings are more lax than their websites indicate. Call some buildings downtown and you might be surprised.