Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: To take or not to take a Testmasters course?  (Read 1372 times)

rvill7

• View Profile
    • Email
To take or not to take a Testmasters course?
« on: May 23, 2008, 05:08:19 PM »
For those of you who did not take a class, how many months before the exam did you begin your study regimen?
Any tips on how to keep diligently focused?

For those of you that did take the class...how effective do you think it was for you? Some things you got out of the class you wouldn't have otherwise? Would you skip out on it and save some money if you could do it again? 

Thanks!

tcwhat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: To take or not to take a Testmasters course?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 07:51:25 PM »
I took both Powerscore and Testmasters.  To be honest with you, I didn't really find that these courses provided you with much more but self discipline in terms of studying.  The biggest problem that I have with the LSAT is timing.  I will be working on my timing all summer for the October exam.  That coupled with the fact that I have the CPA Exam scheduled in July and August should definitely put me in Test Mode by October.

I hope this helps!  Happy LSAT!

You are studying for both the CPA and the LSAT and both will be taken in October?

Masochist.

argo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 10:55:57 PM »
I took both Powerscore and Testmasters.  To be honest with you, I didn't really find that these courses provided you with much more but self discipline in terms of studying.  The biggest problem that I have with the LSAT is timing.  I will be working on my timing all summer for the October exam.  That coupled with the fact that I have the CPA Exam scheduled in July and August should definitely put me in Test Mode by October.

I hope this helps!  Happy LSAT!

You are studying for both the CPA and the LSAT and both will be taken in October?

Masochist.

He said his CPA exam is in July/August.  But to address your main point, I actually think it would be highly beneficial to mix the masturbatory abtraction of LSAT with the exactness of a subject-based test like the CPA exam.
--
"And that is what is so great about the Internet. It enables pompous blowhards to connect with other pompous blowhards in a vast circle-jerk of pomposity."

-Bill Maher

cmu1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 03:30:34 PM »
I am in the final weeks of a TestMasters class right now, and I definitely do not regret my decision to take the class.  My teacher is great and the homework books are extremely helpful -- it is very easy to pinpoint you weaknesses, as the homework questions are broken down by question type.  So far, I have gone from a 160 on diagnostic 1, a 166 on diagnostic 2, and a 167 on diagnostic 3 (one week later), and feel that I still have a great amount of room for improvement.  I am not taking the exam until October and I will review the questions that I got wrong in the TM homework for the rest of the summer and take self-administered diagnostics.  In any case, I feel I am far more prepared to self-study for this exam now that I am scoring where I am . . . I know my weak spots, and I know to improve them, thanks to TestMasters.  I just need to practice. 

Warning, though:  A friend who started off in my Pittsburgh class just transferred to a class in CT (had to move because of an internship) and has told me his new instructor is considerably worse than the one who teaches the Pittsburgh class.  Even so, I recommend TM, as the materials are top notch.

cr008k

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 06:51:47 PM »
testmasters is ok, def better than kaplan.  kaplan is scripted and horrible.  i think private tutoring is best if you can get it but it can be more expensive.  two companies i had good experiences w/- get prepped and expert lsat but i think they are regional (upstate ny, niagara falls area for expert lsat and get prepped has tutors in other places too i think).  expert lsat wasn't expensive and the tutors had taught for other test prep companies; get prepped was a little more expensive but it was helfpul too.  (i've taken the test twice and over prepared both times, the first time w/ testmasters & get prepped tutoring, the 2nd time w/ expert lsat & i def thought the tutoring & 2nd time was most helpful)

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 09:13:13 PM »
From a self-study success story, take a class or better yet, hire a tutor.  Do shop around for the best instructor though.