Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where should I go? BC/ BU/ WUSTL/ ND  (Read 2235 times)

law2011

• View Profile
    • Email
Where should I go? BC/ BU/ WUSTL/ ND
« on: May 23, 2008, 07:59:43 AM »
I just got off some waitlists and so I have the good fortune to have some choices. Any idea as to which one I should take up? I have an interest in international law, but none of them really specialize in that. I probably won't be working in any of the areas directly around the law school (I plan on working in NYC/ DC/ or LA). Any ideas?

Choices: Boston College, Boston University, Washington University in St. Louis, University of Notre Dame

Upset T14 Student

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Where should I go? BC/ BU/ WUSTL/ ND
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 08:30:43 AM »
Its up to you...lots of similarities...best alumni network by far is ND...I'd scratch BC pretty easily...BU is in a much better part of Boston and has better opportunities...WUSTL is up an coming but might care a little to much about US news rankings...What do you want?

happypeople

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 08:55:56 AM »
Boston University, if you want to stay on the East Cosat

tommy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 11:09:07 AM »
go for ND

its your best choice....for wherever you want to end up after school..

it leaves you with the most option after school

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 11:45:46 AM »
I just got off some waitlists and so I have the good fortune to have some choices. Any idea as to which one I should take up? I have an interest in international law, but none of them really specialize in that. I probably won't be working in any of the areas directly around the law school (I plan on working in NYC/ DC/ or LA). Any ideas?

Choices: Boston College, Boston University, Washington University in St. Louis, University of Notre Dame

Very similar schools. Did any of the bunch offer you money?
In: Case Western ($$), IU-B ($$), USD ($$), Pitt ($$), Iowa, Wisconsin , George Mason ($), Loyola-LA ($$), UC-Davis, UIUC ($), American, Tulane ($$),GW
Out: Notre Dame,BC,WUSTL,Cornell,W&L

wustl3l

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 11:50:10 AM »
They are all pretty similar. You could make arguments for any of them. I'd go to whevever you feel most comfortable and/or is cheapest.

With regards to international law, not sure if you saw this new program WUSTL has:

http://law.wustl.edu/international/index.asp?id=6377

law2011

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 04:58:46 PM »
WUSTL and ND offered me money, but if the career prospects are radically different, I have some savings and loans to fall back on. BU also might offer money, but since I was just admitted from their waitlist, I haven't received notification of scholarship or financial aid money yet.

As for WUSTL's international law program, I applied to that but didn't get in.

So I'm understanding that the general consensus here is ND or BU? Those are the biggest national names?

remiz22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 05:16:37 PM »
WUSTL and ND offered me money, but if the career prospects are radically different, I have some savings and loans to fall back on. BU also might offer money, but since I was just admitted from their waitlist, I haven't received notification of scholarship or financial aid money yet.

As for WUSTL's international law program, I applied to that but didn't get in.

So I'm understanding that the general consensus here is ND or BU? Those are the biggest national names?

I would say take the money at WUSTL or ND. Have you visited either or both?

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 09:29:58 PM »
Man, it is amusing how wrong the top 4 posters are ...
First off, when you say "international law" to what are you referring?  If you mean something business related, I would look simply at the best large firm placement, which from thlist is going to be eithe BC or BU.
If you mean something more diplomacy/ NGO/ non-profit related, I would scratch BU first then take a look at the specific programs offered by each school.  If I remember correctly ND has a very extensive program in London.  BC also has a London program through Kings college; we also have a program with the International Criminal Court and the International Criminal Tribunals for Yugoslavia (deals with war crimes from the soviet and post-soviet era in the balkans).

Now, I'm not going to get into any arguments about placement or BU being "in a better part of Boston" but I am just going to point out that this thread contains some of the most empty and useless advice I have seen on this board in a logn time.

These 4 schools are all comparable.  They are somewhere between regional and national, they have good, not great, names and reputations.  You need to visit, talk to actual students, talk to the administration and get REAL information, not this "ND is NATIONAL!!! Everyone has heard of that school!!!" word of mouth junk.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 07:57:49 PM »
Man, it is amusing how wrong the top 4 posters are ...
First off, when you say "international law" to what are you referring?  If you mean something business related, I would look simply at the best large firm placement, which from thlist is going to be eithe BC or BU.
If you mean something more diplomacy/ NGO/ non-profit related, I would scratch BU first then take a look at the specific programs offered by each school.  If I remember correctly ND has a very extensive program in London.  BC also has a London program through Kings college; we also have a program with the International Criminal Court and the International Criminal Tribunals for Yugoslavia (deals with war crimes from the soviet and post-soviet era in the balkans).

Now, I'm not going to get into any arguments about placement or BU being "in a better part of Boston" but I am just going to point out that this thread contains some of the most empty and useless advice I have seen on this board in a logn time.

These 4 schools are all comparable.  They are somewhere between regional and national, they have good, not great, names and reputations.  You need to visit, talk to actual students, talk to the administration and get REAL information, not this "ND is NATIONAL!!! Everyone has heard of that school!!!" word of mouth junk.

Whew.  Someone stepped up with a rational response to all the BC bashing in this thread.
I Choo-Choo-Choose you:  Boston College Law School, Class of 2011