Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I buy/bring a car to Rutgers Newark?  (Read 677 times)

lakers24

• View Profile
Should I buy/bring a car to Rutgers Newark?
« on: May 22, 2008, 08:47:06 PM »
Currently I do not own a car(I carpool with my brother). But I was wondering if it is necessary to have one during law school. I didn't have one during undergrad, but my roommate let me use his car alot.. Will I need a car in Newark?

I dont wanna spend a couple thousand on a car then add in insurance, parking and gas. It just seems like a lot to add on while not working. So should I just bum rides all year, use public transportation and save around 5,000-8,000 or should I suck it up and use a good portion of my saving towards a crappy car.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Should I buy/bring a car to Rutgers Newark?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 11:32:43 PM »
I don't know about Rutgers, but I'm not planning to have a car while I'm in law school. My last one broke down in August and I've been bumming it since then. I figure if you live on or near campus, you should be able to walk most places that you need to go, you can invest in a good bicycle for longer hauls, and you can take a taxi if there's anything distant that you need to do (which probably won't come up much anyway).
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

SaTaNBuGG

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 01:17:49 AM »
If you will be living on campus, I think it will be unnecessary to have a car.  There is public transportation nearby if you need to travel to nyc or elsewhere.  Though depending on public transportation on the weekends and at night can be frustrating.  I have a car only because I travel frequently to nyc so its more convenient for me.   I'm sure you will make friends and can bum a ride. We all do it.  Even if you live off campus but nearby, say jersey city, hoboken, montclair, etc a car may be unnecessary as they are easily accessible via the path or light rail.

argo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 03:03:11 AM »
Q: Should I buy/bring a car to Rutgers NEWARK?

A: Only if you want it jacked :)

Kidding aside, I can't imaging getting in and out of Newark on public transportation.  And, this is coming from someone who's vehemently defending Philadelphia as not that dangerous a place.
--
"And that is what is so great about the Internet. It enables pompous blowhards to connect with other pompous blowhards in a vast circle-jerk of pomposity."

-Bill Maher

imagurl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 09:43:44 AM »
I am attending Rutgers and will be bringing my car.  Depends on your preferences. I like knowing I can drive to visit friends, family around the tri-state area.  I've been living off of public transportation for 7 years now and I am ready to have my own set of wheels.  Start off without it to see how it goes, and if you feel like you really need one, you can look into it then.

lakers24

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 11:44:59 AM »
this thread is just reinforcing my thoughts on the issue. I am living very close to campus but I still think I'm going to want to have a car. Looks like I will pick up a cheap car in July.

Anyone have any experience buying used cars...I'm only trying to spend like 3,000-4,000 to get around for 3 years.

edit: I think I'm gonna go up there without it and see how it goes(might try biking it)...After the first semester I will re-evaluate the situation. I really don't want a monthly insurance payment and the 1200 parking that is offered where I'm staying.

thewanderer01

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 12:16:55 AM »
I didn't live on campus, but those that did complained endlessly about how difficult things like grocery shopping was without a car. Transit is great into Manhattan, but for errands it isn't very convenient.
Rutgers - Newark Class of 2010