Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L gpa..  (Read 3483 times)

sk76

• View Profile
1L gpa..
« on: May 22, 2008, 02:52:09 PM »
soo it looks like my IL gpa is going to be around a 3.0 (if even that), which sucks majorly. i go to a school ranked in the 50's/60's, and my gpa puts me somewhere around the middle (maybe lower) of my class. i'm super worried about oci in the summer, and doubt i'll be able to get a 2L summer gig. so i guess my question is, where does a person in my position look for a 2L summer job? ideally, i would like to work at a mid-size or smaller firm. and, if i do better my 2L year, is it possible for me to get "back on track"?

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 1L gpa..
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 03:00:23 PM »
I don't know how to help you, and this may come off as insensitive, but I've been worrying about how well I'd do at law school, despite putting in effort. I just have a few questions (since i'll be going to a similarly ranked school). Do you think you put in a lot of effort? What do you think you're going to try to do differently to get on the "right track"?

Again, I apologize if this comes off as insensitive, but I am concerned.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 05:08:53 PM »
I'd say that odds of getting a BIGLAW job through OCI may be slim-to-none, and even if you get your grades up, OCI may never pan out for you, even as a 3L (big firms that actually hire 3Ls seem to look for people who worked for big firms their 2L summer and maybe weren't happy at the firm or whatever, or simply decided on a different market, etc.).

But that doesn't mean you can't get a firm job at all, and it won't leave you jobless.  If you haven't already, join your city bar association if there is one, and the state bar student division as well.  Go to networking events in practice areas you're interested in.  Start getting to know people at smaller and midsized firms.  That's where your best prospect lie.

And definitely apply for OCI. You never know what you'll get.  But networking and hitting non-BIGLAW firms and gov't agencies will probably be more likely.

Finally, beating Matthies to it, I recommend Guerrilla Tactics For Getting the Legal Job of Your Dreams.  THere's tons of networking tips and advice for researching jobs, applying, interviewing, etc.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 05:16:38 PM »
I'd say that odds of getting a BIGLAW job through OCI may be slim-to-none, and even if you get your grades up, OCI may never pan out for you, even as a 3L (big firms that actually hire 3Ls seem to look for people who worked for big firms their 2L summer and maybe weren't happy at the firm or whatever, or simply decided on a different market, etc.).

But that doesn't mean you can't get a firm job at all, and it won't leave you jobless.  If you haven't already, join your city bar association if there is one, and the state bar student division as well.  Go to networking events in practice areas you're interested in.  Start getting to know people at smaller and midsized firms.  That's where your best prospect lie.

And definitely apply for OCI. You never know what you'll get.  But networking and hitting non-BIGLAW firms and gov't agencies will probably be more likely.

Finally, beating Matthies to it, I recommend Guerrilla Tactics For Getting the Legal Job of Your Dreams.  THere's tons of networking tips and advice for researching jobs, applying, interviewing, etc.

Liaten to Jacy, at this point OCI should be a back up, start making thibgs happen for yourself ASAP.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 06:51:05 PM »
soo it looks like my IL gpa is going to be around a 3.0 (if even that), which sucks majorly. i go to a school ranked in the 50's/60's, and my gpa puts me somewhere around the middle (maybe lower) of my class. i'm super worried about oci in the summer, and doubt i'll be able to get a 2L summer gig. so i guess my question is, where does a person in my position look for a 2L summer job? ideally, i would like to work at a mid-size or smaller firm. and, if i do better my 2L year, is it possible for me to get "back on track"?

OP, please PM me for more specific help.  I've got some ideas/resources.

J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

confusedatquinnipiac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 11:29:49 AM »
soo it looks like my IL gpa is going to be around a 3.0 (if even that), which sucks majorly. i go to a school ranked in the 50's/60's, and my gpa puts me somewhere around the middle (maybe lower) of my class.

how did you even determine that a 3.0 is the middle of the class? they have not given us any ranking info at all at my school.... all i know is that they set our cuve somewhere between 2.3 and 2.6.... im guessing maybe 2.45?

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 01:07:56 PM »
My school has ranking info on its website, and here, a 3.0 is about the middle.

P.U.S.H

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 08:52:07 PM »
*tag*
Everday I'm HUSL'in

florida357

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 06:37:45 PM »
I went to a similarly ranked school and was in a similar position.  At my school, the OCI employers specified class ranks which could apply.  I was excluded from about 98% of interviews because I wasn't in the top third.

I didn't find good employment my first summer, so I worked for free and got some good experience.  My second summer I tried extremely hard to get an internship, and it looked like it was going to be unsuccessful, I actually got into the summer before something kind of fell into my lap.  I got my first real job by my own efforts, i.e. not by what I would consider luck, in the fall of my third year. The day before my last law school exam I secured another job, and I am happily employed and making a good salary. 

Moral of the story being that nothing is guaranteed, but if you always make the best of the situation chances are you will come out on top in the end. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 08:05:46 PM »
I went to a similarly ranked school and was in a similar position.  At my school, the OCI employers specified class ranks which could apply.  I was excluded from about 98% of interviews because I wasn't in the top third.

Hopefully you applied anyway...If you meet other requirements, but miss only on the gpa/rank, you should never exclude yourself - you never know when a potential employer will see something that interests them about you as an applicant.