Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Michigan vs. Northwestern  (Read 4536 times)

hollowman988

• Sr. Citizen
  • I took her home after midnight...
    • View Profile
Re: Michigan vs. Northwestern
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 11:02:51 AM »
Do you think that the rankings for Northwestern will stay high? I've been researching a lot and it seems like this is one of the few years they've broken top 10. I know people say that the US News rankings shouldn't matter as much but I can't help but let it factor into my decision. If they stay equal ranks, I would like to go to Northwestern. Thanks for all your advice so far :)

This means you should go to Northwestern. The difference in prestige, if it exists, is small enough so that if you want to be in Chicago and like the school, then go. It's simple.
The Victors:
Music to make love to your old lady by?

Upset T14 Student

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 11:08:42 AM »

If you want the best chance of getting the best jobs anywhere in the country/world then go to Michigan hands down!!! If you want to live in Chicago while you go to law school then go to Northwestern. For the same cost, this is actually a real easy decision.

2elandbored

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 12:46:40 PM »
I would (and did) go to Northwestern, BUT I would definitely go to both schools and visit.  There is absolutely no difference in job prospects.  Any prestige advantage at Michigan is countered by Northwestern's small class size.  There is essentially no one who didn't have a job in his/her choice market upon graduation.  This is especially true for the students who wanted firm jobs.  Everyone got a firm offer.  Going to California is extremely easy.  All you have to do is show up during OCI, smile, and have a firm handshake.  Further, I'm quite certain Northwestern placed at least as well as Michigan in clerkships - a recent change.  I think there were like 16 appellate court clerks, from a class of 240 or so (I don't really know, but the number sticks out in my head).  I say all this only to rebut the notion that somehow your job prospects will be better from Michigan. 

Anyway, I think you need to go visit.  Forget about prestige or anything else.  See which campus you like better.  Talk to students about the experiences they had during law school.  I chose Northwestern, because the opportunities at the school were better for me.  The Legal Clinic at Northwestern is unbelievable, providing students the opportunity to work with and go up against Chicago lawyers while in law school.  The location in a huge metropolis also has advantages.  I externed for a federal judge in law school.  Many of my friends worked in various government positions which had offices in Chicago - EEOC, anti-trust division of the DOJ, U.S. Attorney's Office, etc.  Finally, I wanted to live in Chicago as opposed to Ann Arbor or any other college town (sure you can argue there are things to do in AA, but let's keep things in perspective).  Maybe you'll find the opportunities at Michigan more appealing, which is why it's important to visit both schools.  I can only speak to Northwestern's experience. 

Good luck with your decision.  You have some good options, but it really does matter where you go to school depending on the experience you want out of law school. 

LifesaBitch

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 04:40:57 PM »

If you want the best chance of getting the best jobs anywhere in the country/world then go to Michigan hands down!!! If you want to live in Chicago while you go to law school then go to Northwestern. For the same cost, this is actually a real easy decision.

I will have to disagree with this.  Northwestern offers equal, if not better, career prospects compare to Michigan.

Princeton Review ranked Northwestern Law #1 in "career prospects", and Dean Van Zandt places huge emphasis on getting jobs for graduates.  He is the only law dean I know that actually visit employers himself.
Northwestern - Class of 2011!

randomfella

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 05:00:47 PM »
"Princeton Review ranked Northwestern Law #1 in "career prospects""

Oh please. Are you seriously suggesting that Northwestern law graduates have better career opportunities than Yale, Stanford and Harvard grads?!  Princeton Review is a bit of a joke.

Nonetheless, as for Michigan vs. Northwestern, I think the prospects are virtually identical. Perhaps a marginal benefit to the former for clerkships/academia based on old school-prestige. But even here, I doubt there's much difference. I think I'd personally go to Northwestern because its location is so ridiculously good

mrsdunleavy

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 08:25:59 PM »
Thanks everyone for all the advice. I put down my deposit for Northwestern so I'm headed there this fall :)

2elandbored

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 05:11:41 PM »
Congratulations and best of luck.  Enjoy Northwestern.  Let me know if you have any questions.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2008, 05:24:20 PM »
While we have our fair share of straight from college types, about 2/3 of the class have taken at least a year off.  We have everyone from the younger crowd to the married-with-kids, no work experience to significant careers.

2/3 w/ WE isn't much compared to roughly 98% w/ WE at NU.  I'm biased, obviously, but I'm really excited about the clinical programs at NU, and it's not like they don't reach CA for job opportunities.

WeeSqueak

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2008, 12:08:12 PM »
I can't tell you whether to pick NU over Michigan, its a personal decision and both schools are fantastic.  Of course I'm biased and would pick NU.  I love NU and I have had a great first year. 

NU has a pretty good placement record on the West Coast.  14% of the class ends up on the West Coast and 24% of OCI employers are West Coast employers.  http://www.law.northwestern.edu/career/statistics/

If you're still concerned, I would recommend calling the admissions office and asking to speak to someone in the career center.  I'm sure they would be more than happy to speak to you about job prospects in California.

Good luck choosing!

Upset T14 Student

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2008, 08:10:35 AM »
Well now we know who had to settle for the bottom of the T14 and how badly they want to make a claim that they had a choice