Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Michigan vs. Northwestern  (Read 4381 times)

mrsdunleavy

• View Profile
Michigan vs. Northwestern
« on: May 22, 2008, 02:37:55 PM »
I put my deposit down for Michigan but just recently got into Northwestern off of the waitlist. I know that they're tied this year in rankings but Northwestern has historically been lower ranked. I'm not sure what kind of law I want to practice, but I'm thinking probably corporate in a big firm and I know that I want to come back to California after I graduate to work. Does anyone have any insights on which school to pick? I'm mostly concerned with opportunities for coming back to California -- I heard the Michigan has a lot more but I'm drawn to Northwestern because I love Chicago and I feel like there would be a lot of great opportunities there.

ohthehugemanatee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Michigan vs. Northwestern
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 02:44:12 PM »
probably UM.

When did you get off the NU WL?

mrsdunleavy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 02:59:57 PM »
I got in May 13th.

ohthehugemanatee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 03:04:26 PM »
I got in May 13th.

Awesome.  Congrats.

Full disclosure, I'm still hoping to get of WLs at both schools.

I'd say UM because you potentially want to go back to Cali.  Seems like UM might have more reach out there.

That said, I loved NU when I visited, and liked the students more there than at UM (they seemed more mature at NU, and I'm a couple of years out of school).  This is obviously anecdotal evidence, though.

I don't know what the living situation is a NU, but 1Ls at UM seem to love living in the quad - seems like figuring out the living situation at UM would be less stressful.

That said, I don't think you can go wrong.

LifesaBitch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 03:30:53 PM »
I got in May 13th.

Congrats! 

These two schools have a lot in common.  Both schools are similar as far as academics and job placement.  The differences will probably give you a better idea:

1) location - do you prefer a college town or big city.  Big city will obviously offer more opportunities, but Ann Arbor has the small-town charm.

2) students - NU places unique emphasis in WE and leadership potential.  Do you like your classmates to be more "mature" or would you prefer the "straight from college" type?

3) prestige - how important is old-school prestige to you?  While NU is a great school, it has never historically ranked at the top like Michigan once did.

Good luck!
Northwestern - Class of 2011!

mrsdunleavy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 07:07:28 PM »
Do you think that the rankings for Northwestern will stay high? I've been researching a lot and it seems like this is one of the few years they've broken top 10. I know people say that the US News rankings shouldn't matter as much but I can't help but let it factor into my decision. If they stay equal ranks, I would like to go to Northwestern. Thanks for all your advice so far :)

LifesaBitch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 08:27:02 PM »
Do you think that the rankings for Northwestern will stay high? I've been researching a lot and it seems like this is one of the few years they've broken top 10. I know people say that the US News rankings shouldn't matter as much but I can't help but let it factor into my decision. If they stay equal ranks, I would like to go to Northwestern. Thanks for all your advice so far :)

If this is your gut feeling right now, I would recommend you to go to Northwestern regardless of its possible future rankings.  Both NU and Michigan have solid national reputations; short-term rise and fall should not play significant roles to your law school decision.

As far as future US News rankings, I do not see great changes with Michigan.  However NU is the question mark.  The recent rise can be a one-year aberration or can signify a Penn-like ascension in the rankings.  Who knows...
Northwestern - Class of 2011!

du-can

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 09:01:54 PM »
I put my deposit down for Michigan but just recently got into Northwestern off of the waitlist. I know that they're tied this year in rankings but Northwestern has historically been lower ranked. I'm not sure what kind of law I want to practice, but I'm thinking probably corporate in a big firm and I know that I want to come back to California after I graduate to work. Does anyone have any insights on which school to pick? I'm mostly concerned with opportunities for coming back to California -- I heard the Michigan has a lot more but I'm drawn to Northwestern because I love Chicago and I feel like there would be a lot of great opportunities there.

Duke.  How could you turn down a chance to play with Battier and JWill and win a NC?  Hit ballsy three-pointers to burn Arizona and land on an SI cover?  Easy choice.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 10:03:06 PM »
I got in May 13th.

Congrats! 

These two schools have a lot in common.  Both schools are similar as far as academics and job placement.  The differences will probably give you a better idea:

1) location - do you prefer a college town or big city.  Big city will obviously offer more opportunities, but Ann Arbor has the small-town charm.

2) students - NU places unique emphasis in WE and leadership potential.  Do you like your classmates to be more "mature" or would you prefer the "straight from college" type?

3) prestige - how important is old-school prestige to you?  While NU is a great school, it has never historically ranked at the top like Michigan once did.

Good luck!

While I agree with most of this, I have to disagree with #2.  While we have our fair share of straight from college types, about 2/3 of the class have taken at least a year off.  We have everyone from the younger crowd to the married-with-kids, no work experience to significant careers.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Upset T14 Student

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 08:22:21 AM »
If you want the best chance of getting the best jobs anywhere in the country/world then go to Michigan hands down!!! If you want to live in Chicago while you go to law school then go to Northwestern. For the same cost, this is actually a real easy decision.