Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Barbri wants us to study for 12 hours? Seriously?  (Read 4469 times)

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Barbri wants us to study for 12 hours? Seriously?
« on: May 22, 2008, 09:56:18 AM »
I am paying them 3000 dollars for watching some stupid videos, getting mediocre outlines (Gilberts were way better) and being told to study for 12 hours a day for two months for an exam I only have to pass? wtf???

bossofyou

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Barbri wants us to study for 12 hours? Seriously?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 09:59:50 AM »
whoa...really? 12 hrs a day for 2 months?

My barbri starts on Tues.  I was hoping they would say 3hrs on top of the class time (6 total).

I suspect I would burnout by July if did 12hr/day for all of June.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 10:00:39 AM »
yeah they say 12 hrs total.

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 10:54:05 AM »
I think they tell you that to cover their asses because hardly anyone could ever study for 12 hours a day.  That way, if you fail the bar and complain, Barbri can say that if you did what they told you to do, you wouldn't have failed.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 10:26:15 PM »
Dr. Balsenschaft is correct - the actual recommendation is class (3.5 hrs a day) + another 5-8 hours after class which is where the 12 hr recommendation comes from.  They're covering their ass, so you can't complain if you fail.  It's an inhuman schedule, and more people I've talked to either a) burned out or b) had major breakdowns/freakouts by trying to follow that schedule and failing.

So far, I'm actually finding Barbri very helpful.  I've only finished contracts and one day of professional responsibility.  The review isn't bad.  The outlines are kind of sucky, but the handout book is good with the notes you take from lecture.  I may change my mind later in the course, but the 2 lecturers we've had so far were really, really great and very helpful.