Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: $ questions late in the game  (Read 664 times)

tylersd

• View Profile
    • Email
$ questions late in the game
« on: May 22, 2008, 01:40:21 AM »
so here's a scenario:
School A is barely a T14 and School B is barely not, comparable placement stats.
Both schools accepted me after waitlisting me initially
I have deposits at both
Today School B calls and asks what I'm up to since they haven't seen deposit number 2 and I tell him I am still making up my mind
He asks who else I am considering/what the hold up is and I tell him school A and that I'm still trying to figure out financing
He asks what I've been offered from school A and says "it will always be financially advantageous to go with us" I say I'm not sure yet.

the truth is I have no offer from school A at all, I haven't even talked to them about money because I felt lucky to be in at all off the waitlist and thought I was in no position at all to ask for cash. What I was trying to figure out about financing is whether I could manage the debt school A would mean, assuming full tuition (oh yeah school B is public and I can get in-state so its way cheaper).

So now I am for the first time trying to understand how money is distributed. do you have to call in and ask for it? another school I was considering seemed to have a "don't call us we'll call you" policy, so they just gave money to unprovoked to whoever they liked.

Should I call school A and ask if they can help with anything, like get closer to school B's in-state? Who would I even call? fin aid?  today I was talking with the dean of admissions so I'm not sure.

My undergrad was financed by my parents so I have no experience with financial aid and wasn't desirable enough for scholarships so this is all new to me.
WL: columbia, upenn, mich, georgetown, ucla
in: gw, fordham, bu

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Re: $ questions late in the game
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 02:03:21 AM »

Georgetown vs UCLA?

devilishlyblue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 02:12:30 AM »
I mean, at this point it's a question of filling out FAFSA, NeedAccess, etc. and just waiting to see what they tell you... isn't it?

tylersd

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 03:12:02 AM »
Earlcat: yes
Devilishlyblue: I don't know, is it? it seemed like what school B was talking about had nothing to do with my need and everything to due with under-bidding the other guy. So this is what I'm trying to figure out.

btw, I'm not much of a haggler but it seems like there could be some money on the table if I play this right

also, do the schools look down on multiple depositers? I have been hesitant to mention my situation to schools but the conversation I had today was friendly so... who knows

remiz22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 10:07:34 AM »

Georgetown vs UCLA?

EarlCat's avitar is hysterical

devilishlyblue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 11:10:37 AM »
Earlcat: yes
Devilishlyblue: I don't know, is it? it seemed like what school B was talking about had nothing to do with my need and everything to due with under-bidding the other guy. So this is what I'm trying to figure out.

btw, I'm not much of a haggler but it seems like there could be some money on the table if I play this right

also, do the schools look down on multiple depositers? I have been hesitant to mention my situation to schools but the conversation I had today was friendly so... who knows

My approach would have been to wait for finaid to come back and then start haggling.  One of UCLA's major virtues will be that it's cheaper; if GULC's finaid comes back to neutralize that advantage, then UCLA might start scrambling.  On the other hand, you can't exactly negotiate with GULC until they've made their opening offer.

tylersd

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 12:01:58 PM »
ok thanks that makes sense