Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How can someone who got a 107 on the MPRE actually get a C in the class?  (Read 3149 times)

Phillyman14

• View Profile
What the hell!! Only around 10% of the people in my class actually took and passed the mpre. How the hell did I get a C in my law school's Professional responsibility class??!! With basically the same type of freaking questions!! B/c of the freaking curve?? Are you serious?!! rediculous.... shows how much crap law school grades are....I'm emailing the professor now... hopefully it is a mistake.. but usually isn't... still that just doesn't make sense... I knew the freaking material... crist i passed the mpre in march!! omg!! Seriously... my lowest grade in law school comes from a class where the state bar examinaners said i was within a high percentile??!! Someone explain this to me!! I'm glad that i already passed the mpre.. b/c if I didn't.. i'd be pretty scared of that exam right now... f-ing bull!!

uh huh.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
"How can someone who got a 107 on the MPRE actually get a C in the class?"

To answer your question: the same way that someone who literally got the passing score on the MPRE got an A minus in the class (that would be me) - one has nothing to do with the other.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
I didn't even know what an MPRE was until I googled  it. Why is this in "pre-law"?

Anyway ... seems like part of the same cycle:

Undergrad has little to do with LSAT performance. You take a prep course to do better on the LSAT and you do well or poorly on the LSAT regardless of your undergrad performance.

Then, LSAT has little to do with law school. You learn how to take law school exams (by reading "Getting to Maybe"?) and your performance on them only has tangential relation to your LSAT performance.

Then, law school has little to do with bar passage. You take a BAR-BRI course to make sure you pass the bar, and your performance on it has only tangential relation to your law school performance.

Then, bar performance  has little to do with lawyerly success. You learn on the job and do well, or you don't, and do poorly, even if you were first in your bar class.

Sure, the items are related. But only vaguely, subjectively. By means of soft factors. I think they do a better job in Med school and engineering, of linking testing to skills. Lucky for me, I test well.  :)

This isn't in prelaw; it's in the student and grad general board. 

jeffislouie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Settle down.
The MPRE and your professional responsibility course are two different things.
How did you do in class participation?  Were you active in class or did you pull attitude and brag to everyone how much of an expert you were?
Your Prof might have thrown you some curveballs on your exam and instead of choosing the correct answers, you made the predictable errors.  It happens.
For example, my K class.  I was active in class and knew the material.  People were asking to study with me.  I was getting calls from classmates I barely spoke to asking me questions and getting into discussions about K.  The prof sent me an email after the final thanking me for being active in class and telling me that I was always prepared, always willing to tackle the tough hypos and that he knew he could rely on me to provide thoughtful insight.  I KNEW the material cold.  My Prof THANKED me for working so hard and told me that he was proud of me and that he was sure I would make a fantastic lawyer.  He sent this same email out to six of us, all of whom were what he considered the top of the class.
I got a C+ on the final.
Why?  Because like many law profs out there, he asked questions that were designed to trip us up.  Law Prof's, more so than any other kind of teacher that I know of, are egotistical and geniuses in their own minds.  If they CAN write a question that they think most of the class will miss, you can be sure that it is going to be on the test.
Take your lumps gracefully and try not to come off as a whiny arrogant jerk in your emails.
Since you've already passed the MPRE, try not to let one C ruin your attitude and make you bitter.
I would guess that this may be one of the lowest grades you've gotten in law school.
Everyone gets one bad grade.  You'll be fine.
Keep your head up!
 ;)
Justice is tangy....

bossofyou

• View Profile
    • Email
What the hell!! Only around 10% of the people in my class actually took and passed the mpre. How the hell did I get a C in my law school's Professional responsibility class??!! With basically the same type of freaking questions!! B/c of the freaking curve?? Are you serious?!! rediculous.... shows how much crap law school grades are....I'm emailing the professor now... hopefully it is a mistake.. but usually isn't... still that just doesn't make sense... I knew the freaking material... crist i passed the mpre in march!! omg!! Seriously... my lowest grade in law school comes from a class where the state bar examinaners said i was within a high percentile??!! Someone explain this to me!! I'm glad that i already passed the mpre.. b/c if I didn't.. i'd be pretty scared of that exam right now... f-ing bull!!

dood, 107 aint shhit.  Average score = 100, so, 107 seems reasonably close to a "C", especially if your school has a tough curve.  if your school has a friendly curve, then maybe you just fuked a few problems up on your final...

http://www.ncbex.org/multistate-tests/mpre/scores/interpret/

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
The words I see at the top of my web page right here, are:

LAW SCHOOL DISCUSSION
Pre-Law Discussion

I dunno, maybe you're accessing it differently? My understanding is, there are sub-sections to the www.lawschooldiscussion.org website. One section is entitled "Pre-Law", another is during-law-schbool and post- (entitled "Students and Graduates"). This discussion is in the former. I don't mind, wuddever ... it would be interesting to know that the same discussion appears in two different boards, though. That would be some fancy programming. :D

It may appear in both.  There's been some bizarre, half-finished changes.  Apparently Andrew is integrating the 2 sites, but it's only half done or something.  I don't think its "fancy"; it's more likely incomplete or half-assed.

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
Same here -- 103, and C+ in the class.  My lowest law school grade. It still pisses me off, but I had a pretty bad professor.

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I made a 150 on the MPRE and got a B+ in the class.  There is no way to correlate between the two.  Some PR classes don't even focus all that heavily on the rules and certainly most of them don't test a lot of the obscure rules that are fair game for the MPRE.  For example, my class covered nothing about the judicial code of conduct but that accounted for 5-10 questions on the MPRE. 

Phillyman14

• View Profile
yea thanks for the input guys!! I feel a little better and have a better understanding... I'm still really pissed off b/c that was my first C in law school... lowest grade ever... I still have 4 other class grades to wait for.. hopefully they will balance things out... but who the hell knows now adays... I'm still pretty pissed off at the professor for his bull *&^% class... he was horrible..  a nice guy.. but not that great of a professor... He used the same powerpoints as  like 10 years ago.
   grrrrrrrrrrrr still mad!!

florida357

• View Profile
    • Email
I got a 120-something on the MPRE and got a low B in my PR class.