Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bottom half?  (Read 2834 times)

ojosdelaw

• View Profile
Bottom half?
« on: May 21, 2008, 10:53:20 PM »
I'm curious ... whatever happens to the students who are in the bottom half of their State law school class? How do you even go about marketing yourself?

P.U.S.H

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Bottom half?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 07:51:28 PM »
From what I hear, it's difficult but doable if you try a few things:

1. Market other skills that compliment your law degree - if you have a MA in something or strong background in science and want to work in that legal area, show that off first.

2. If you have/had a good summer experience before you got your rank, get plenty of recs and show that the experience focused you on what you want to do/don't want to do with your law degree.

3. Bust your ass the remaining semesters.

I'm currently taking this advice (especially #3) and I believe it works out for the best in the end.
Everday I'm HUSL'in

JoblessJerk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 01:13:21 PM »

1. I don't have any other skills. I don't have an MA. I can't spend the rest of my life getting advanced degrees and never working. If employers don't give a crap about my JD, I don't see why they'd give a crap about an MA.

2. I don't have any summer experience at all. Nobody will hire me.

3. Employers throw my resume in the trash as soon as they see my first-year grades. They don't care about progress.

Second-tier law school is a scam. I would tell anyone who can't get into a top 20 school to forget about it. If I'm lucky, I'll be doing document review the rest of my life for $20 an hour. I know people who never went to college and are making much more than most gradues of second-tier law schools.

hammer296

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 08:24:51 PM »
going through a similar thing.

after first semester was at bottom of the class.  had an internship with a state appeals court judge but had to forfit it after leaving first semester.

took leave of absence and looked for work as a college grad in criminology.  no luck there after 7 months.  now back in law school in summer school...cant even find volunteer work.

its a shame be cause i have always loved and been interested in law.  did pre law stuff-read plantet law school did E&E's-had a high lsat.

i worked too hard my last week-and fell asleep during one of my finals and got a C (when nobody gets lower than a B- in my school)..other exams slightly below average. 
my rhetoric class was bad too with a c+ (again nobody with below a b-) mostly citation and spelling mistakes kept killing my grade even though the legal writing and research itself was average/above average

too bad such things determine large portions of the rest of your life

hammer296

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 08:59:58 PM »
oh right for jobless jerk-

you might try moving back home and living with your parnets-then when people aks you what oyur doing you tell them your plight-then you can get names of lawyers in the community with a contact name-call them up and beg.

ok yeah-its embarrassing and ridiculous

but i don't think you have a better option

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 09:12:08 PM »
lol, GO AWAY WII
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

*devo*

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 11:40:17 PM »
Start your own PI firm.  I work with a guy who started on his own straight out of law school.  He said it was really hard and he didn't hardly know what he was doing, but it worked out and he makes good money now.  If I were you I would be pissed (which you are), but I would use that to work extra hard.