Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: General help with Logical Reasoning  (Read 625 times)

simaba

• View Profile
General help with Logical Reasoning
« on: May 21, 2008, 09:40:14 PM »
I've been working on the LR sections and seem to be getting worse.  I started to do section by section untimed but my scores rarely change, timed or untimed.  Does anyone have any advice, I've seem to hit a wall.   :-\

tcwhat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: General help with Logical Reasoning
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 09:43:43 PM »
I've been working on the LR sections and seem to be getting worse.  I started to do section by section untimed but my scores rarely change, timed or untimed.  Does anyone have any advice, I've seem to hit a wall.   :-\

Some questions you need to answer before any useful advice can be given -

1.  What have you used to prep(PowerScore LR bible, Kaplan books, etc)
2.  What is the process you go through when you do a section untimed? Do you just do it and check the answers? Do you mark the questions that give you problems? Stuff like that.

simaba

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 09:51:48 PM »

I've worked with PR and PowerScore, a while ago.  The process if staight forward, I think.  I just make sure I get through every question and it usually takes me a total of 2 or 2 1/2 hrs.  Afterwards, I mark what is correct or not, then review each question.  After all of that I fight the urge to get a glass of wine.... ???

Any ideas?  Comfort?  Scolding? 

simaba

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 09:59:19 PM »
Anyone?  Are you out there???  : ) Please, please tell me there's hope.   :'(

tcwhat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 10:38:00 PM »

I've worked with PR and PowerScore, a while ago.  The process if staight forward, I think.  I just make sure I get through every question and it usually takes me a total of 2 or 2 1/2 hrs.  Afterwards, I mark what is correct or not, then review each question.  After all of that I fight the urge to get a glass of wine.... ???

Any ideas?  Comfort?  Scolding? 

When you go over questions do you figure out why each answer choice is either incorrect or correct?  It also helps for the questions you particularly struggle over to write down explanations to solidify your thinking.

In all honesty though, if you are taking two and a half hours per section and you are still missing a lot of questions with no improvement, it doesn't bode well for future LSAT aspirations.

simaba

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 11:23:08 PM »
I appreciate your reply, tcwhat.  However, I disagree with you about my LSAT aspriations.  : )  Thanks anyway. :)

I just started this method, so maybe it's all new to me, but I do go over each question wrong and try to understand what happened.  It seems I have difficulty with flaw questions and assumptions. 

What is the real benefit to working each section untimed?  If this is not working for me, should I try another approach? 

Anyone else have advice on this? 

simaba

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 08:00:49 AM »
Thanks tortNretort, 

The 2 - 2 1/2 hrs was an estimate but it makes me realize I might be over thinking some of the answers.  I don't have a problem identifying the questions, it just takes me a long time to pick an answer. 

Your categories are very helpful, esp. last one.  : ) 

I have all 50 plus insane tests, so I will intensify my efforts.  Man, this test is all work and no play.  ;)  Yeah, I will have to work on all the tests.  Honestly, the more I study, the more it races in my mind and can't sleep. 

The one thing that still nags me are the flaw questions.  It's difficult to see where to go and how to approach them. 

Again, thanks for your honest reply!