Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Flunked out in 2004 and wanting to ask an old Law professor for a LOR  (Read 812 times)

nekasworld

• View Profile
In 2004 I flunk out of law school.  I had a family emergency and thought I could do both, but I could not.  Nevertheless after continuing to work in the legal field, moving to a new state, my desire to obtain my law degree and beoome an attorney is just as strong. 

However here is my dilemna:

I think that it would look great if I could obtain a LOR from one of my old Law Professors.  How do I approach him?  Its been almost four years and he may not remember me.  Also he is located in another state and the first contact will have to be by phone and/or email. 

I am taking the LSAT in June and want to have had some kind of contact with him before asking for a LOR after recieving my score in July. 

I was thinking of asking for his opinion of me returning to law school and letting a dialouge come from that.  What do you all think?  Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed and appreciated.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I think contacting your previous professor to solicit his or her opinion about returning to law school is a great idea. I guess I don't see how you could get a great LOR from that professor, assuming you did not do well in the class.

I suppose it is possible to get an LOR that comments on your personality and work ethic, as opposed to your academic performance, but that seems rather weak to me.

I think an admissions consultant would be worth their weight in gold to you. You have an unusual situation that has to be pitched just so to very carefully selected schools. There may even be opportunities like reapplying to your old school, but I think most people here won't really have great insight into that.

Good luck, and good for you for not giving up!

Bulldog86

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I would definitely do what you suggest. Can't hurt to ask what he thinks. Worst case scenario, he says he doesn't think you should go back and hopefully gives you some insight as to why (so that you can decide for yourself if you're ready). But best case is he gives you a good rec talking about all of your unrealized potential as a law student.
UVA Law Class of 2011