Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Brooklyn with $140,000 or Cornell with $75,000?  (Read 4358 times)

mnewboldc

• View Profile
    • No Record Press
    • Email
Brooklyn with $140,000 or Cornell with $75,000?
« on: May 20, 2008, 08:20:24 PM »
Was all set to go to Cornell. Then BKLS came back with a 3-year full tuition scholarship, and a housing stipend.

The Cornell scholarship comes with a "moral obligation" to repay - essentially making it an interest-free loan.

I will probably wind up practicing in New York City.

What would you do? Is Cornell worth turning down $140,000?

Also, do you think it's reasonable/unreasonable to ask Cornell for more money under the circumstances?

Any and all thoughts would be fantastic. Thanks.
Cornell 2011

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
Re: Brooklyn with $140,000 or Cornell with $75,000?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 10:05:09 PM »
Was all set to go to Cornell. Then BKLS came back with a 3-year full tuition scholarship, and a housing stipend.

The Cornell scholarship comes with a "moral obligation" to repay - essentially making it an interest-free loan.

Also, do you think it's reasonable/unreasonable to ask Cornell for more money under the circumstances?

Even if Cornell had offered you zero, it would be a no-brainer to choose it over a full ride from Brooklyn. The difference in prestige and employment is enormous.

You should go to Cornell.
In: Case Western ($$), IU-B ($$), USD ($$), Pitt ($$), Iowa, Wisconsin , George Mason ($), Loyola-LA ($$), UC-Davis, UIUC ($), American, Tulane ($$),GW
Out: Notre Dame,BC,WUSTL,Cornell,W&L

SteelersandGators

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 10:07:28 PM »
Cornell...easily.
UVA Law Class of 2011

deedeeleigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 10:09:49 PM »
I think it would bug me if I was given merit-money I had to repay, but I guess I'd just see it as more debt, at a lower interest rate.

OP, if you want to do private practice in NYC then Cornell would make things a lot easier. If you're interested in PI or government work, Brooklyn's offer would really help with that. So it depends on what you want to do.

gibsonsg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 10:11:35 PM »

to be accurate, overall, you are not really turning down 140,000, but 65,000.  I don't think it is reasonable to ask cornell for money because brooklyn is too far out of cornell's ballpark.  but again, asking for more money would not hurt.  don't get your hopes high tho.

now is cornell worth turning down 65,000-
depends on what you want to with you degree.  PI or BIGLAW?
If Biglaw, then Cornell.
If PI, then um...I don't really know.

remiz22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 10:17:50 PM »
Without a doubt, Cornell.

The top 75% of the class at Cornell has as good or better career options than the top 15% at Brooklyn.

nyclivin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 10:28:17 PM »
Without a doubt, Cornell.

The top 75% of the class at Cornell has as good or better career options than the top 15% at Brooklyn.

This is a completely ridiculous statement.  Yes, Cornell offers better career prospects.  But, top 15% (moreso top 10%) at BLS will have the same opportunities as top 1/3 or so at Cornell.  I am quite certain top 15% at BLS places better than bottom 1/2 or 1/4 at Cornell.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go to Cornell.  No telling if you'll finish near the top at either school, so you might as go to the higher ranked one.

remiz22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 10:48:19 PM »

This is a completely ridiculous statement. I am quite certain top 15% at BLS places better than bottom 1/2 or 1/4 at Cornell.

Oh Really?

Cornell places 62% of its class at NLJ 250 firms, whereas Brooklyn places 9% of its class at NLJ250 firms.
Cornell places 43% of its class at V100 firms, whereas Brooklyn places 4% of its class at V100 firms.

Like I said, the top 75% of the class at Cornell has as good or better options than the top 15% at Brooklyn.

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 10:50:44 PM »
Cornell, Cornell, Cornell.   Even with the "moral obligation" to repay, that's a helluva lot better than a legal, financial obligation.  You'll have time to get on your feet, get your life going, and then you'll be able to repay that 75 grand pretty easily once you make partner  ;)
I Choo-Choo-Choose you:  Boston College Law School, Class of 2011

redbull

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 10:58:13 PM »
I'm at Cornell now.  Just thought I'd chime in to say 1) you should go to Cornell but 2) they will probably not give you any more money.  They only cough up dough if you get money from a "peer school" and if they didn't buy my argument that Vandy was arguably a peer school they're not going to accept Brooklyn as one.  Cornell with 75k is pretty damn awesome though.