Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Something else to consider before going to law school  (Read 8303 times)

t...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Something else to consider before going to law school
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2008, 01:22:24 AM »
Unfortunately this is correct, however I was not a biglaw firm but at a specialty boutique firm. I only applied to Starbucks in addition to my bartender job because I thought it would only be temporary (plus I could work part-time while I was studying for the bar). No job materialized since the bar, so I am sticking with Starbucks until something comes up.

This is why you don't have a job.

Not necessarily.

Also, this same sort of thing has happened to three people I know that recently graduated (and passed the bar). There's a lot of luck and timing involved in finding a legal job.

OP should look into unpaid clerkships or internships, perhaps.
Cady on October 16, 2007, 10:41:52 PM

i rhink tyi'm inejying my fudgcicle too much

Huey on February 07, 2007, 11:15:32 PM

I went to a party in an apartment in a silo once.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2008, 04:56:43 AM »

But...Fruity Pebbles>>>>>>>Fruit Loops.

Okay, now I know you're pure flame. 
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
  • Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2008, 05:04:31 AM »

He just hates me because I listen to rap.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2008, 05:19:50 AM »
No, I didn't mean YOU.

I'm talking about the cereal.  As in, REAL Fruit Loops.

Everyone knows Fruit Loops >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> bad ass Fruity Pebbles.

::grabs bowl of cereal::
::chews contentedly::
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
  • Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2008, 05:50:24 AM »
No, I didn't mean YOU.

I'm talking about the cereal.  As in, REAL Fruit Loops.

Everyone knows Fruit Loops >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> bad ass Fruity Pebbles.

::grabs bowl of cereal::
::chews contentedly::

Well, clearly you know where I stand...

just some guy

• Sr. Citizen
  • WARNING: May Contain Troll or Flame-like Substance
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2008, 08:31:50 AM »
I don't recall SMUs system having that information, but I will examine it later.  You are failing yourself by not putting more into this job search.  You shouldn't be hopeful that one firm will get back to you - you should have 100s of resumes circulating Dallas.  Even if you exist, I worry that you are not giving us the whole truth here. 

Reread your OP and I think you would understand our skepticism.  I could not have written a better post if I tried..

Just a note: Bickel & Brewer do have a super high billable hours - but they pay over market (before bonus).  Not overly familiar with your other BB.

Baron & Budd is dust docket - Plaintiff's side (for you noobs they represent alleged victims of toxic torts). In my limited exposure to that field a lot of ID shops have 2k billable requirements, if for no other reason than the hourly rates in that field are much lower than others.

I have courted the fire for a very long time, and many sparks have flown in the past, but [this post] speaks, finally, the language of the flame itself.
with apologies to Keith Jarret

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2008, 11:18:34 AM »
The one thing I think is curious is that the OP instantly understood what we meant by "flame."

But "flame" on this board means something entirely different than what it means anywhere else I've lurked/posted.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

legalese_retard

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2008, 01:16:28 PM »
Unfortunately this is correct, however I was not a biglaw firm but at a specialty boutique firm. I only applied to Starbucks in addition to my bartender job because I thought it would only be temporary (plus I could work part-time while I was studying for the bar). No job materialized since the bar, so I am sticking with Starbucks until something comes up.

This is why you don't have a job.

Not necessarily.

Also, this same sort of thing has happened to three people I know that recently graduated (and passed the bar). There's a lot of luck and timing involved in finding a legal job.

OP should look into unpaid clerkships or internships, perhaps.

I am actually starting to look for unpaid legal jobs so I can build up some legal experience in the meantime. I just know it is going to look bad if I go in an interview and when asked what I have been doing since graduation, and all I can say is that I have been a bartender and Barista, rather than actually using my bar license and being a Barrister. Luckily my parents are going to take out a mortgage on their home and pay off my loans at a better interest rate. The monthly payment will be closer to $1000/month, so it is a lot more manageable. It just sucks knowing that I still have to get money from my parents at age 26.     

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2008, 01:21:42 PM »
This just keeps getting better.... now you're making your parents mortgage their home. hahaha!  What's next?  Are you going to start donating plasma?
It's kind of loud here at work, but I think I can hear a tiny violin in the background playing your sad sad song.

Let's skip all of this garbage and get to the advice.  What are you saying?
Don't go to law school?   Don't go to law school in Texas?  Only go to law school if you have a scholarship? 
Do you think that people on here don't know the risks? 

I'm sorry that you're life hasn't turned out the way you wanted, but you're honestly not helping anyone.  Why don't you tell us what you would have done differently?

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2008, 01:33:43 PM »

He just hates me because I listen to rap.

I don't hate you.  I don't hate anyone.  I think you're great.  I think you're great and a little misguided. 

HTH.
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament