Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Something else to consider before going to law school  (Read 8189 times)

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Something else to consider before going to law school
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2008, 01:09:46 PM »
I'm going to a T2T and I'm doing fine; I appreciate your concern.  I'm really excited about school but I am  a little tired of the trolls.  I suppose I'm taking them a little too seriously though.  How are you?

(this space intentionally left blank).
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2008, 01:20:40 PM »
dude, the OP reeks like wii

what i get tired of is where regional t3's are lumped in with large market t3's as far as possibilities go.  the regional/local area job market is entirely different.

non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2008, 03:01:06 PM »
Things wrong with the OP...

• Winter graduation means OP had to either withdraw a semester or fail multiple classes... (Tulane only offers full time and does not charge by the credit hour)
  • OP already knows the billable hours and pay of a firm he hasn't interviewed for
  • OP found a firm that takes "applications"
  • OP doesn't understand Dallas mass transit
  • Even Dallas PI/ID firms don't require 2000+ billables
  • OP had BIGTEX and now works at Starbucks
  • OP makes no mention of severance or post termination assistance (BIGTEX firms offer fantastic assistance to the people they lay off to preserve their name)

Did OP go to law school?  Does OP live in Dallas?

So troll is the answer.  And I apologized for all of those terrible things I said to him.  I guess I'm still sorry for being crass but I hope this was a fun little game for OP.

It looks like it, although it could be a real person who exaggerated and fudged some information.  I gave the OP my email address and if (s)he emails me their resume, I will gladly get it in front of a few hiring partners.  If I don't hear back from the OP, I will assume they are just a troll.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2008, 03:05:08 PM »

what i get tired of is where regional t3's are lumped in with large market t3's as far as possibilities go.  the regional/local area job market is entirely different.

I'm assuming you were speaking generally as Tulane is #44 on that little list we hold so dear to our hearts.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2008, 03:59:15 PM »

I'm assuming you were speaking generally as Tulane is #44 on that little list we hold so dear to our hearts.

i was speaking generally, especially of my own little t3, one of two in the state, yet provides 90% of the associates to the regional "biglaw" equivalents.....mostly, they dont hire out-of-state here
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

legalese_retard

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2008, 05:46:29 PM »
I don't feel I need to defend my genuineness, but there is truth to my original rant and my intention (beyond bitching my frustrations) is for people to truly do their homework before applying to law school. But to address Botbot....

• Winter graduation means OP had to either withdraw a semester or fail multiple classes... (Tulane only offers full time and does not charge by the credit hour)
Correct, I dropped out for a semester due to a family tragedy.

• OP already knows the billable hours and pay of a firm he hasn't interviewed for
As I said before, I used Tulane's reciprocity agreement with SMU Law and applied to the firm from their job posting. Botbot ask OCD about the BYU job posting website, Tulane has reciprocity with most law schools if you don't believe me. The firm listed their minimum billable requirement at 170/month (so really about 2040/year).

• OP found a firm that takes "applications"
Again, it came from SMU.

• OP doesn't understand Dallas mass transit
Yes I do as I am from here. There is the DART, but most of the non-biglaw firms are not near a DART station. I can take the bus, but as I remembered it in high school, the buses were always behind schedule.

• Even Dallas PI/ID firms don't require 2000+ billables
I am not familiar with the PI/ID firms here, but I know of a couple of firms requiring 2000+ billables beyond the firm I applied to including Bicker & Brewer and Barron & Budd

• OP had BIGTEX and now works at Starbucks
Unfortunately this is correct, however I was not a biglaw firm but at a specialty boutique firm. I only applied to Starbucks in addition to my bartender job because I thought it would only be temporary (plus I could work part-time while I was studying for the bar). No job materialized since the bar, so I am sticking with Starbucks until something comes up.

• OP makes no mention of severance or post termination assistance (BIGTEX firms offer fantastic assistance to the people they lay off to preserve their name)
Again, not bigtex but I did have a severance (hence using my savings to pay off my loans). However, since I never started working as an associate at the firm, my severance package was only for one month's salary.

[/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]

legalese_retard

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2008, 05:49:16 PM »

It looks like it, although it could be a real person who exaggerated and fudged some information.  I gave the OP my email address and if (s)he emails me their resume, I will gladly get it in front of a few hiring partners.  If I don't hear back from the OP, I will assume they are just a troll.

I received your email, so thanks for the offer. I will consider emailing my resume to you, but honestly I am afraid you will attach a copy of this thread to your contacts and I don't want to shoot myself in the foot due to a random rant I made on the internet.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2008, 06:22:36 PM »
I don't recall SMUs system having that information, but I will examine it later.  You are failing yourself by not putting more into this job search.  You shouldn't be hopeful that one firm will get back to you - you should have 100s of resumes circulating Dallas.  Even if you exist, I worry that you are not giving us the whole truth here. 

Reread your OP and I think you would understand our skepticism.  I could not have written a better post if I tried..

Just a note: Bickel & Brewer do have a super high billable hours - but they pay over market (before bonus).  Not overly familiar with your other BB.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2008, 08:00:42 PM »

I received your email, so thanks for the offer. I will consider emailing my resume to you, but honestly I am afraid you will attach a copy of this thread to your contacts and I don't want to shoot myself in the foot due to a random rant I made on the internet.

If you want this to be anonymous, you shoudl remove your pic (assuming it's you) as your avatar.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2008, 01:00:14 AM »
Unfortunately this is correct, however I was not a biglaw firm but at a specialty boutique firm. I only applied to Starbucks in addition to my bartender job because I thought it would only be temporary (plus I could work part-time while I was studying for the bar). No job materialized since the bar, so I am sticking with Starbucks until something comes up.

This is why you don't have a job.