Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Something else to consider before going to law school  (Read 8105 times)

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Re: Something else to consider before going to law school
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2008, 11:05:57 PM »
So I apologize to you and the rest of the board, including Fruit Loops.

nm.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2008, 11:11:23 PM »
I graduated top third and with honors from Tulane Law School in December and I am still unemployed. I moved to Dallas in January, but the firm I worked for during the summer laid me off (with other attorneys). I already passed the Texas bar in February but I still can't find a legal job. Currently I am working at Starbucks and at a bar to pay rent and my $2000/month student loans.

Layman speaking, but couldn't you just get a really conservative haircut and put on your best suit and go hang out at the courthouse looking for private practice clients?  Surely if you can score only a few hours a week, that'll pay more than Starbucks.

legalese_retard

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2008, 11:42:35 PM »
OK, thanks. I was confused with the insults, this is the first time I came across this website so I didn't know if that stuff was expected. I just needed somewhere to rant because I am sick of people complimenting me for my "achievements" when I have no job to show for it.

As far as waiting outside a courthouse, I wouldn't even know how to approach random people for jobs. I think that might even breach some ABA PR rules regarding solicitation but I am not familiar with the Texas rules (I guess I can look that stuff up while I have the time). Also, I am not interested in litigation at all. While I know that beggars can't be choosers, I'm hoping my degree from Tulane provides more opportunities beyond litigation and insurance defense. But as the weeks turn into months, I am becoming more dramatic, stressed out, and short with people. The good news is that I am so stressed that I can skip meals because I am not getting hungry. If anything, law school has been a great diet for me ;)   

kasa530

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2008, 10:18:42 AM »
I don't want this to sound obnoxious, because I really don't mean it that way... but there must be something in the water with Tulane grads recently.
My huge Texas firm let 2 Tulane grads go recently and it wasn't because of financial difficulties. (Rumor is: they were let go because of incompetence.)  We have zero summer associates from Tulane this year, but several from South Texas which is a TTTT.

just some guy

• Sr. Citizen
  • WARNING: May Contain Troll or Flame-like Substance
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2008, 10:21:42 AM »
OK, thanks. I was confused with the insults, this is the first time I came across this website so I didn't know if that stuff was expected. I just needed somewhere to rant because I am sick of people complimenting me for my "achievements" when I have no job to show for it.

As far as waiting outside a courthouse, I wouldn't even know how to approach random people for jobs. I think that might even breach some ABA PR rules regarding solicitation but I am not familiar with the Texas rules (I guess I can look that stuff up while I have the time). Also, I am not interested in litigation at all. While I know that beggars can't be choosers, I'm hoping my degree from Tulane provides more opportunities beyond litigation and insurance defense. But as the weeks turn into months, I am becoming more dramatic, stressed out, and short with people. The good news is that I am so stressed that I can skip meals because I am not getting hungry. If anything, law school has been a great diet for me ;)   

Go to the free CLE courses at the Belo. Hell, Join the DBA and hang out at the Belo every day. Other than that, get a job as a landman.
I have courted the fire for a very long time, and many sparks have flown in the past, but [this post] speaks, finally, the language of the flame itself.
with apologies to Keith Jarret

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Something else to consider before going to a TTT school
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2008, 11:02:07 AM »
Makes sense.  But not considering your connections do you have a sense about career options out of your/op's school assuming one doesn't suck at life and has social/interviewing skills that rate higher than an amoebas?

I had multiple summer job offers from firms that I had no connection to other than sending them my resume.  My credentials are pretty average and Tulane was my only selling point...

I can't even explain how easy my life would be if my grades were top third...

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Something else to consider before going to a TTT school
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2008, 11:36:26 AM »
Makes sense.  But not considering your connections do you have a sense about career options out of your/op's school assuming one doesn't suck at life and has social/interviewing skills that rate higher than an amoebas?

I had multiple summer job offers from firms that I had no connection to other than sending them my resume.  My credentials are pretty average and Tulane was my only selling point...

I can't even explain how easy my life would be if my grades were top third...

So OP is lying/trolling, a bad interviewer, or should have gone to school in Texas if he wanted a job there?  Weird...
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2008, 11:58:09 AM »
Things wrong with the OP...

• Winter graduation means OP had to either withdraw a semester or fail multiple classes... (Tulane only offers full time and does not charge by the credit hour)
  • OP already knows the billable hours and pay of a firm he hasn't interviewed for
  • OP found a firm that takes "applications"
  • OP doesn't understand Dallas mass transit
  • Even Dallas PI/ID firms don't require 2000+ billables
  • OP had BIGTEX and now works at Starbucks
  • OP makes no mention of severance or post termination assistance (BIGTEX firms offer fantastic assistance to the people they lay off to preserve their name)

Did OP go to law school?  Does OP live in Dallas?

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2008, 12:46:57 PM »
Things wrong with the OP...

• Winter graduation means OP had to either withdraw a semester or fail multiple classes... (Tulane only offers full time and does not charge by the credit hour)
  • OP already knows the billable hours and pay of a firm he hasn't interviewed for
  • OP found a firm that takes "applications"
  • OP doesn't understand Dallas mass transit
  • Even Dallas PI/ID firms don't require 2000+ billables
  • OP had BIGTEX and now works at Starbucks
  • OP makes no mention of severance or post termination assistance (BIGTEX firms offer fantastic assistance to the people they lay off to preserve their name)

Did OP go to law school?  Does OP live in Dallas?

So troll is the answer.  And I apologized for all of those terrible things I said to him.  I guess I'm still sorry for being crass but I hope this was a fun little game for OP.
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2008, 12:53:11 PM »
SCK2008:  are you doing okay?  How are you feeling about your decision to go to law school.  It seems like you're pretty tired of hearing criticism of T3 schools.