Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: CCN to Harvard  (Read 1374 times)

FlyFish

• View Profile
CCN to Harvard
« on: May 20, 2008, 07:53:54 PM »
My wife's job seems to run my life.  I'm generally of the opinion that a top 10 law school pretty much opens whatever doors one needs, and the rest is up to the individual (no doubt many of you disagree, but that is not the purpose of my post).  So I picked a CCN school (don't want to say which one because I'd like to stay anonymous) because my wife's job was in that city.  Now she has been presented with a great opportunity in Boston, and a transfer to Harvard would be the best of all worlds. 

How well does one at a CCN have to be doing to have a shot at transfer (assuming that I would have had a pretty decent shot the first time around).  What is the general consensus as to the cutoff?  Is top %25 enough or would I need to be higher?  Thanks

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: CCN to Harvard
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 09:09:30 PM »
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=diabede

His wife was going to start at Harvard Business School and they accepted his transfer with a 3.6 from CLS.
CLS 2011

FlyFish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 11:16:43 PM »
Any idea where a 3.6 at CLS would put you (clearly I don't go there)?  What is the median GPA roughly?  In the end I suppose it really doesn't matter, I'll end up where I end up, but it would be nice to have some info until I find out at the end of the summer.....that's a long time to sit and ponder.

Nimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 06:43:40 PM »
Any idea where a 3.6 at CLS would put you (clearly I don't go there)?  What is the median GPA roughly?  In the end I suppose it really doesn't matter, I'll end up where I end up, but it would be nice to have some info until I find out at the end of the summer.....that's a long time to sit and ponder.

Apply and find out.  You obviously have a compelling reason to be in Boston aside from the prestige of HLS.

laurenlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 07:04:55 PM »
I don't attend CLS, and the info you asked for about the curve is surprisingly hard to find online.  However, I attend a similar school, where a 3.6 would generally be around the top 20%, with roughly half the class getting a B or below, and half the class getting a B+ and above.  I'm hoping this will give you a general idea, even if it isn't perfectly in keeping with CLS.

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »
I don't attend CLS, and the info you asked for about the curve is surprisingly hard to find online.  However, I attend a similar school, where a 3.6 would generally be around the top 20%, with roughly half the class getting a B or below, and half the class getting a B+ and above.  I'm hoping this will give you a general idea, even if it isn't perfectly in keeping with CLS.

This is right on from what I hear. I can't find a link, but I've heard multiple times that a 3.2 is the median at CLS...

Hope things work out for you, FlyFish!
CLS 2011

FlyFish

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 01:14:50 AM »
Thanks all for the posts; I'll be sure to come back with the results.  In the meanwhile I'll have to wait it out. 

One last question if people have any suggestions: Am I better to play up the need to be in Boston in my essay or simply note it but then talk more about me/my law school experience/etc.?  I ask because I'm curious whether it is better to present to the AdCom a picture of a person who needs to be in Boston or a person who really wants Harvard. The latter seems more compelling from an admissions perspective because they must know that I'm obviously going if I get in (why else would I be bothering with another law school app?).  But I don't want to appear as though the reason I am transferring is because I'm a prestige whore unhappy with a CCN (nobody wants to be that guy!).