Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Forget MAC or PC, what laptop is the best?  (Read 5646 times)

abn319

• Smile, it enhances your face value.
    • View Profile
Forget MAC or PC, what laptop is the best?
« on: May 20, 2008, 02:43:27 PM »
Alright, I have read all of the arguments regarding MACs vs. PCs, but my question is what brand of laptop is the best and why?

I need to start shopping around more and looking for one to buy in the very near future. I am starting school this Fall. There is not a laptop requirement at my school, and they said that either a MAC or a PC would be fine. I would just have to be able to run Windows on the MAC for the exam software (so basically once a semester). I have been a PC user my whole life and grew up with a computer programmer in my house, so of course I know how to use a PC more so than a MAC. I do however like Apple products.

I just want to get some opinions from people on what brand of laptops works the best for them and why. I realize that everyone likes certain computer brands for different reasons. I grew up using Dells, but I have never had a Dell laptop. I have friends who have HPs and they love them. There are positives and negatives with every brand, from what I have heard, I just want to know what your thoughts are...

What computer brand is the most reliable?

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Forget MAC or PC, what laptop is the best?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 03:06:33 PM »
Alright, I have read all of the arguments regarding MACs vs. PCs, but my question is what brand of laptop is the best and why?

I need to start shopping around more and looking for one to buy in the very near future. I am starting school this Fall. There is not a laptop requirement at my school, and they said that either a MAC or a PC would be fine. I would just have to be able to run Windows on the MAC for the exam software (so basically once a semester). I have been a PC user my whole life and grew up with a computer programmer in my house, so of course I know how to use a PC more so than a MAC. I do however like Apple products.

I just want to get some opinions from people on what brand of laptops works the best for them and why. I realize that everyone likes certain computer brands for different reasons. I grew up using Dells, but I have never had a Dell laptop. I have friends who have HPs and they love them. There are positives and negatives with every brand, from what I have heard, I just want to know what your thoughts are...

What computer brand is the most reliable?

I've been driving myself bonkers trying to decide on which laptop to buy.  So here's some advice.

1: www.notebookreview.com  the discussion board sucks but there are a lot of people who know their stuff that can answer your questions.

2: www.cheapstingybargains.com  great coupon codes to use on Lenovo, HP, or Dell machines.  You can get anywhere from 10% off to 30% off depending on which notebook you buy.

3:  You are going to get different advice from everyone, but the cnet.com reviews seem to be really good.   

4: Dell has excellent customer service and warranty programs for the business class and xps notebooks.  The inspiron class notebooks are under a different program and it kind of sucks. 

5: Check this link out  http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,2806,1626131,00.asp
you can read reliability surveys and get some other review information.   
This link is pretty good  http://www.pcmag.com/download_thank_you/0,1220,d=3666,00.asp

abn319

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 03:18:07 PM »
Wow thank you very much :)

I will be going to look at all of those sites you recommended, because I myself have been driving myself nuts trying to decide on one!

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 06:46:32 PM »
If you own a desktop, I'd recommend the MacBook Air. I have one, and it's fantastic. Super light-weight, nice bright screen, and fairly fast. The battery life is great and with all the heavy books, the light weight is worth it. You can install Windows for test-taking, too. That said, if you don't have a desktop it's harder to recommend the air. I use mine almost exclusively, but I do have a desktop to fall back on if I need a CD/DVD Rom, or a little more processing power.

Law Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 08:20:43 PM »
i just got a black macbook and WOW.  best computer i've ever owned, desktops and laptops included.

BlueGreen

• Sr. Citizen
  • [insert vague quote here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 08:45:10 PM »
If you own a desktop, I'd recommend the MacBook Air. I have one, and it's fantastic. Super light-weight, nice bright screen, and fairly fast. The battery life is great and with all the heavy books, the light weight is worth it. You can install Windows for test-taking, too. That said, if you don't have a desktop it's harder to recommend the air. I use mine almost exclusively, but I do have a desktop to fall back on if I need a CD/DVD Rom, or a little more processing power.

i saw the macbook air for the first time in a store a couple of weeks ago. now i get why people keep saying the air is so sexy!! i'd get one if i could afford it.  :-\
HLS class of 2011
LSN

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 09:06:24 PM »

i saw the macbook air for the first time in a store a couple of weeks ago. now i get why people keep saying the air is so sexy!! i'd get one if i could afford it.  :-\

I just happened to get a little lucky and ended up with a scholarship that came in AFTER my tuition was paid, so they cut me a check. I used part of it to get the Air. I don't know if it's "Worth" $1700, but I don't regret buying it at all.

BlueGreen

• Sr. Citizen
  • [insert vague quote here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 09:14:17 PM »

I just happened to get a little lucky and ended up with a scholarship that came in AFTER my tuition was paid, so they cut me a check. I used part of it to get the Air. I don't know if it's "Worth" $1700, but I don't regret buying it at all.

*burns with envy*
HLS class of 2011
LSN

abn319

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 09:18:30 PM »
well this has all been very helpful. I have been leaning towards a MAC, particularly the black Macbook, but I am not sure yet.

does anyone have any advice on what brand of PCs are most reliable?

I mean, for law school purposes, is one better than another?

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 09:21:02 PM »
well this has all been very helpful. I have been leaning towards a MAC, particularly the black Macbook, but I am not sure yet.

does anyone have any advice on what brand of PCs are most reliable?

I mean, for law school purposes, is one better than another?

http://www.pcmag.com/download_thank_you/0,1220,d=3666,00.asp

has a great survey attached to it.   It shows that Macs score the best in most reliability and customer satisfaction categories.  I called the network guy at the law school I'll be attending and he gave me some good input about which notebooks the law students like.