Law School Discussion

« on: May 20, 2008, 07:45:48 AM »

juliemccoy

• Treat??
    • View Profile
Re: What are you doing about health insurance?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 07:55:03 AM »
I comparison-shopped online and got a great PPO with Humana. I know someone with the ABA plan and it is a crappy HMO. I utilize the university's health center here (courtesy of my student services fee via tuition), and any prescriptions I've had to take have been $4 generics thus far, so I haven't really "needed" the plan... but I view it as a healthy precaution for when I'm not on campus or there's a real emergency.

Please, all law students, make sure you get additional health coverage! Your university may have a special student health insurance plan.

skeeball

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 09:55:27 AM »
Bought my own plan on the individual insurance market. I'm on a plan that I used to sell before I went to LS, and sold it to people like it was the best thing since sliced bread. Now that I'm actually a member....it kinda sucks... But it's still better than the University's plan.

SCK2008

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 10:31:10 AM »
Bought my own plan on the individual insurance market. I'm on a plan that I used to sell before I went to LS, and sold it to people like it was the best thing since sliced bread. Now that I'm actually a member....it kinda sucks... But it's still better than the University's plan.

Around how much per month are we talking for these plans, ballpark?  Dental/optical are extra?

juliemccoy

• Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 11:16:38 AM »
I'm paying about $160/month. No deductible. Office vists are around $30, I think, and so are Rx's.

Dental is a different insurance. However, I recommend getting a dental discount card-- it's about $100 and you'll be able to see almost any dentist and receive substantially discounted services.

skeeball

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 12:04:08 PM »

Around how much per month are we talking for these plans, ballpark?  Dental/optical are extra?

For me (25 y.o. female, non smoker, no major health issues, no maternity coverage), it was $140/month when I bought it, it went up $20 a month when I renewed this year. That includes dental. For healthy non-smoking men age 20-30, policies run a little under $100 per month (I sold some for as low as $60 per month).

Dental is usually like a $20 a month add on. Unfortunately, there's no such thing as individual vision coverage. You might get discounts with the insurance card, but it's nothing like what you would get with a group plan.

These figures are all unique to the area where I live, it could be more/less depending on how expensive health care is in your region.

SCK2008

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 12:08:09 PM »
Sounds good.  Gives me an idea at least; thanks.  I like LensCrafters to get my glasses in an hour anyways...

SCK2008

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 12:22:03 PM »
Nice...that could definitely come in handy...

Contacts are the expensive part- (I use daily disposables so I guess I'm not helping myself)- 1 800 Contacts.

SCK2008

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 12:31:16 PM »
Interesting approach.

I'll be trying that as soon as I switch to one ply.

And house wine.

And...other cheap stuff.

Which is probably this August.

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 03:38:33 PM »
Being super young, I'm on the 'rents plan.  Yeehaw?