Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

In your opinion , what subject is the most difficult for 1st year law students ?

Civ Pro
 22 (42.3%)
Property
 7 (13.5%)
Contracts
 15 (28.8%)
Torts
 1 (1.9%)
Con Law
 4 (7.7%)
Crim Law
 3 (5.8%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: What is the most difficult 1L subject ??  (Read 6440 times)

Pauly680

• View Profile
What is the most difficult 1L subject ??
« on: May 20, 2008, 09:53:26 AM »
As someone who is going to be a 1L in the fall , I would like to know from people who have already been or are currently 1Ls , which subject they found to be the most challenging and why ? Was there any particular aspect of the course that made it difficult ?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: What is the most difficult 1L subject ??
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 10:05:38 AM »
I would add Legal Research and Writing, this is the class that many 1L's female dog about more than any other. It can be frustrating and a time consuming chore.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 10:11:27 AM »
CivPro, for me. It was, though, my best grade during my first year. I think that whether a subject is difficult depends on the individual and the professor.

CivPro was challenging because the cases and concepts were simply more difficult for me to grasp than the other courses.

plex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 10:16:04 AM »
Yup, you don't even have the one that was leaps and bounds worse than all the other classes...combined.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 10:16:37 AM »
Personally, I found Civ Pro the least likeable. It was dry, boring, and had little reference to life as I know it to put it into context. It was seriously a chore to read as I had no interest in it whatsoever. Thatís not to say it was the most difficult for me, I guess based on grades that would have been con law, as I did not do as well in that class as my other 1L classes, again probably mostly due to the fact I found it so boring and littlerly did not pay attention at all in class. The classes I enjoyed the most were LRW, property (duh) and criminal law.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 10:31:05 AM »
Civ Pro is the most foreign.  You have a good understanding of what a Crime IS, or what a tort IS (even if you've never heard it called a tort), you know what a contract Is, and you certainly understand Property.   Con Law, well you know that there IS a constitution and you probably remember at least a few clauses and amendments from high school.

Civ Pro?  Who in the what in the where now?  Minimum Contacts?  Some guys named Pennoyer and Neff riding around in a Volkswagen worldwide looking internationally for a shoe while drinking an Asahi?!?!

I think Civ Pro's novelty, and most students lack of any foundation for it make Civ Pro the most difficult.

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 10:48:01 AM »
I voted Property.  I actually did really well that class, but it seemed like the majority of my classmates struggled.  I don't think the subject as a whole is that difficult for many students, but I believe the area most people have a hard time with is Future Interests.  Future Interests seems to be one of those areas that you can either grasp fairly quickly or not at all. 

As far as Civ Pro goes, it is a dry subject, but I didn't find it boring.  Civ Pro is so dry that it makes seemingly boring issues actually quite interesting.  For instance, "a party's domicile" is a boring issue 99% of the time.  It's usually in one place and that's that.  But when you're not sure exactly where a party's domicile is, the arguments can be  very interesting.  They get even more interesting when you compare the domicile argument to where a person's primary residence is for Federal Income Tax purposes (everyone should take Federal Income Tax their 2nd year, by the way.)

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 11:07:39 AM »
As someone who is going to be a 1L in the fall , I would like to know from people who have already been or are currently 1Ls , which subject they found to be the most challenging and why ? Was there any particular aspect of the course that made it difficult ?

I'm a 0L, but a friend of mine is a 2L at BU.  He said that throughout the semester he thought Torts was the easiest and then it ended up being his worst grade.  He says Property was his hardest.

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 12:05:00 PM »
Torts was my worst grade as well.  I don't think it's all that difficult but it seems really easy which lulled me into being lazy.  If I had spent more time writing exam answers that focused on proximate causation issues (basically, the heart of Torts), I would have done better.

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 12:49:51 PM »
I think the answer to this question has everything to do with the professor teaching it. I'd say LRW was the hardest and most time consuming. I LOOOOVED Civ Pro because my teacher was awesome. I thought Property was really hard, especially estates & future interests.