Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Importance of Undergrad and getting into top law schools  (Read 16293 times)

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
Re: Importance of Undergrad and getting into top law schools
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2008, 08:36:47 PM »
If you had just spent $50k+ a year on a school that you believed would change the very ground you walked on (as I guess some people do), and then people started to confront you with the reality that you could have ended up in the same place for half or even a fifth the cost, you might try to rationalize your expenditure in anyway.  After all, it's a sunk cost, argo can never get his money back from Penn, so he goes on debating the "eliteness" of his education.

FYI argo, I'm from the Northeast.  I hang out with the "Northeast Elite" every day, I may even be considered one of them.  I have problems with very few of them, mostly the ones who attribute all their ability, their hopes, their ideas, and their dreams to some Ivy League school that they spent a few years at.  It's a bit sad really.

I was talking about MY experience.  I was not drawing universal conclusions.  You and the bruinboy are committing a falacy of generalizing based on an unrepresentative sample.

Will it be something that influenced me and defined who I am (for better or, I may even concede, for worse)?  @#!* yeah.

1. I guess we figured that because you posted your comments on a broadly-read forum, they were intended to having meaning beyond your isolated experience. Thank you for clarifying to us that your comments are more of a personal diary nature and are not intended to be followed by anyone.

2. Your partial college experience at Penn defined you. OK, wonderful. How is that relevant? Nobody here is asking what colleges are the most magical. They are asking whether certain ones will help them gain entry to law school. You do realize this is a website dedicated to law school admissions?

Genius, by the time I had posted it, it had long strayed from the initial topic.  You and dekocards were hammering at JoeyRamone for expressing his/her opinion on colleges in general.  Why don't you go take your prozac or masturbate or something. 

You are a testament to the gentlemen and scholars of Penn.
In: Case Western ($$), IU-B ($$), USD ($$), Pitt ($$), Iowa, Wisconsin , George Mason ($), Loyola-LA ($$), UC-Davis, UIUC ($), American, Tulane ($$),GW
Out: Notre Dame,BC,WUSTL,Cornell,W&L

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2008, 08:36:56 PM »
Ok, yall need to chill.

Everyone has their reasons for choosing their undergrad.  For some, it makes more sense to go to state school and for others and ivy or similar (especially if the cost ends up being less than a state school).

Stop shitting on people's undergrads.

As for law school...we don't know if ug is tie breaker or a help...its all speculation.
Columbia 3L

argo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2008, 08:37:28 PM »
Ok, yall need to chill.

Everyone has their reasons for choosing their undergrad.  For some, it makes more sense to go to state school and for others and ivy or similar (especially if the cost ends up being less than a state school).

As for law school...we don't know if ug is tie breaker or a help...its all speculation.

Amen!
--
"And that is what is so great about the Internet. It enables pompous blowhards to connect with other pompous blowhards in a vast circle-jerk of pomposity."

-Bill Maher

dekocards

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • stats
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2008, 08:39:43 PM »
argo, take caution in mocking law schools before you've taken the LSAT.  You could end up like the last Penn person on this board who was stuck defending the position that his UG helped him sooo much that he got into BC Law.

I too didn't realize the your posts represented more of a memoir on your two glorious years at Penn...  I imagined that you were trying to give advice to the OP and others.  Although this really does fit perfectly into my Overpriced Elite UG Rationalization Theory.  Rather than debate tangible differences, or possibly admit that in terms of Law admissions UG means nothing, you create this fanciful notion of idea formation.  Buddy, I know people who went to Wharton and I know that it ain't this amazing idea factory.

Also the average LSAT statistic is pretty funny, and rhetorically useful in the case since you are clearly assuming that either 1) you will do very well on the LSAT 94% or higher or 2) Wharton will wow the Ad Coms at elite schools and will let you in with your school's average of a 162.  Either way, good luck with that.

tankbrain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2008, 08:49:09 PM »
Ok, yall need to chill.

Amen!

argo, I think you might want to consider just letting the matter rest. Launching personal insults doesn't move the discussion or debate along.
LSAT: 165
GPA:  3.4

argo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2008, 08:55:09 PM »
If you had just spent $50k+ a year on a school that you believed would change the very ground you walked on (as I guess some people do), and then people started to confront you with the reality that you could have ended up in the same place for half or even a fifth the cost, you might try to rationalize your expenditure in anyway.  After all, it's a sunk cost, argo can never get his money back from Penn, so he goes on debating the "eliteness" of his education.

FYI argo, I'm from the Northeast.  I hang out with the "Northeast Elite" every day, I may even be considered one of them.  I have problems with very few of them, mostly the ones who attribute all their ability, their hopes, their ideas, and their dreams to some Ivy League school that they spent a few years at.  It's a bit sad really.

I was talking about MY experience.  I was not drawing universal conclusions.  You and the bruinboy are committing a falacy of generalizing based on an unrepresentative sample.

Will it be something that influenced me and defined who I am (for better or, I may even concede, for worse)?  @#!* yeah.

1. I guess we figured that because you posted your comments on a broadly-read forum, they were intended to having meaning beyond your isolated experience. Thank you for clarifying to us that your comments are more of a personal diary nature and are not intended to be followed by anyone.

2. Your partial college experience at Penn defined you. OK, wonderful. How is that relevant? Nobody here is asking what colleges are the most magical. They are asking whether certain ones will help them gain entry to law school. You do realize this is a website dedicated to law school admissions?

Genius, by the time I had posted it, it had long strayed from the initial topic.  You and dekocards were hammering at JoeyRamone for expressing his/her opinion on colleges in general.  Why don't you go take your prozac or masturbate or something. 

You are a testament to the gentlemen and scholars of Penn.

You know, I might actually consider hiring you as my lawyer some day - you're annoying and anal :)  Oops, but you only read what you choose to read... not good.  Back to the $35K/year scenario.
--
"And that is what is so great about the Internet. It enables pompous blowhards to connect with other pompous blowhards in a vast circle-jerk of pomposity."

-Bill Maher

argo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2008, 08:59:21 PM »
Ok, yall need to chill.

Amen!

argo, I think you might want to consider just letting the matter rest. Launching personal insults doesn't move the discussion or debate along.

This is just good natured fun.  Nobody really takes it 100% seriously.  At least I don't. 
--

-Bill Maher

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2008, 11:30:02 PM »
Listen, I haven't read through all of this topic or anything, but here's what I know:

1. Your GPA and LSAT are what matter most (like 95% of the admissions process). If you're good on these, you're good to go.

2. Your UG school might matter, but only if a law school doesn't already have someone that went to Harvard, Yale, or any of the other 10 or so best schools in America. Otherwise, your school sucked as much as everyone else's.
'
3. Like I said, hard factors make up 95% of the game, soft factors 5%. If you don't have the grades and the LSAT, you're done. Period. Being involved in whatever activities and going to wherever you want to school might be a tie breaker, but it won't get you into even a tie. If you have a 150 LSAT and a 2.7 GPA, even if you went to Princeton, you're still not going anywhere decent for law school.

4. If you're URM, well, all bets may well be off.

Good luck and I HTH.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2008, 11:57:22 PM »
Listen, I haven't read through all of this topic or anything, but here's what I know:

1. Your GPA and LSAT are what matter most (like 95% of the admissions process). If you're good on these, you're good to go.

2. Your UG school might matter, but only if a law school doesn't already have someone that went to Harvard, Yale, or any of the other 10 or so best schools in America. Otherwise, your school sucked as much as everyone else's.
'
3. Like I said, hard factors make up 95% of the game, soft factors 5%. If you don't have the grades and the LSAT, you're done. Period. Being involved in whatever activities and going to wherever you want to school might be a tie breaker, but it won't get you into even a tie. If you have a 150 LSAT and a 2.7 GPA, even if you went to Princeton, you're still not going anywhere decent for law school.

4. If you're URM, well, all bets may well be off.

Good luck and I HTH.

This is such a damn shame.  Whether out of ease of evaluating applicants, or whoring to US News, it's really a shame.  Not all 3.8's or 3.0's or even 2.7's are equal.  Further, the difference between a rejection and a scholarship is all too often just 2 or 3 questions on a very peculiar test.
I Choo-Choo-Choose you:  Boston College Law School, Class of 2011

readyfor1l

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2008, 05:25:13 AM »
guys i went to a state school and it was super easy i had an A in every class except the 4 semesters of foreign language i had B's in. my parents both went to top undergraduate schools and have real good jobs so money isn't an issue and i can afford to go to a top private school. i hope to attend a private law school as well. i already took my lsat and i scored a 169 i was just wondering though if you think it will make a difference in helping me get into a top law school if i attend one institution over the other? also harvard's acceptance rate is a 10%, however upenn's wharton's acceptance rate is a 4% it is the most selective undergraduate business school in the country.