Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Importance of Undergrad and getting into top law schools  (Read 16280 times)

dekocards

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • stats
Re: Importance of Undergrad and getting into top law schools
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2008, 07:13:56 PM »
If you had just spent $50k+ a year on a school that you believed would change the very ground you walked on (as I guess some people do), and then people started to confront you with the reality that you could have ended up in the same place for half or even a fifth the cost, you might try to rationalize your expenditure in anyway.  After all, it's a sunk cost, argo can never get his money back from Penn, so he goes on debating the "eliteness" of his education.

FYI argo, I'm from the Northeast.  I hang out with the "Northeast Elite" every day, I may even be considered one of them.  I have problems with very few of them, mostly the ones who attribute all their ability, their hopes, their ideas, and their dreams to some Ivy League school that they spent a few years at.  It's a bit sad really.

tankbrain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2008, 07:33:45 PM »
I don't think LSD has an anti-Penn bias per se. If anything, this board exhibits the opposite bias. In this case, you invited sharp comments when you unfairly minimized state schools and made an absurd allusion equating Penn to Harvard.

Nobody is saying your degree is worthless. Itís obviously not. People are merely pointing out that it has little value in law school admissions.

I wasn't denegrading state schools, I was simply stating that given an opportunity to go to a state school or an elite institution, one should choose the latter regardless of debt implications or whatever.  I simply gave myself as an example of someone who was a two-year FOB before I got to Penn and how it changed my life completely.  I then made a generalization using a hypothetical student at Harvard.  I did not compare Penn to Harvard.  Although, it is just as hard, if not harder, to get into Wharton UG than it is to get into H.

Not suprusingly dekocards and bruinbro attacked me in the same manner as they attacked another poster in this same exact thread.  After all, we are these Northeast elitist liberals who dare to express an opinion different from theirs.

I am not trying to attack you. I just pointed out that you will naturally invite sharp comments when you inexplicably continue to equate Penn with Harvard and assert that some nebulous concept of "elite schools" dwarfs the education offered at state universities.

Back to the main issue: I don't think anybody is saying that your degree isnít good. It is good. It just has little value in the context of law school admissions.
LSAT: 165
GPA:  3.4

argo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2008, 07:50:51 PM »
I don't want to get into this argument, but I will say bruinbor's #4 is correct.
Thanks, guys, you convinced me.  My degree ain't worth sh!t and wharton ug is just a second-rate vocational school.  There is a general Penn hatred pervading these boards and I know where it's coming from.  It's thinly veiled and quite obvious. You and bruinbro should all be proud of yourselves - real winners  ;)  Good luck in the real world.

I don't think LSD has an anti-Penn bias per se. If anything, this board exhibits the opposite bias. In this case, you invited sharp comments when you unfairly minimized state schools and made an absurd allusion equating Penn to Harvard.
Nobody is saying your degree is worthless. Itís obviously not. People are merely pointing out that it has little value in law school admissions.

I did not compare Penn to Harvard.  Although, it is just as hard, if not harder, to get into Wharton UG than it is to get into H.
Sure, where you went to law school matters, but the ideas that were planted in you during your undergrad years, call them even dreams, is what's going to stay with you your whole life. 

1. Your statements keep getting more outrageous. A school within Penn undergrad is more difficult to get into than Harvard College? I would gladly welcome any link you could provide that supports this contention

2. Ideas and dreams are mainly planted in college? Overly dramatic statements like this come off as highly laughable and immature. First, legal education completely changes the way you analyze problems and affects your "thinking" and "dreaming" in a much more significant fashion than some undergrad Organaizational Behavior 101 class taught by the TA. Second, you attended a SUNY into your sophomore year. Is this to mean that you were without ideas and dreams during your first two years at SUNY and suddenly developed them upon setting foot on a different campus?

You seem set on defending the prestige of your undergrad and dismissing the importance of the law school. If you don't care about going to law school, why are you even posting on this message board? You're starting to sound like the guy who takes an abnormal amount of pride in his UG because he couldn't get into a decent law school.

First, your're misinformed.  Second, you keep ignoring what I had written.  Third, I haven't applied to law school, yet.  But when i do, I can assure you I'll do much better than GW.  Finally, now would be the time to call you an assh0le and finish the conversation.  Have a good one.
--
"And that is what is so great about the Internet. It enables pompous blowhards to connect with other pompous blowhards in a vast circle-jerk of pomposity."

-Bill Maher

argo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2008, 08:08:09 PM »
If you had just spent $50k+ a year on a school that you believed would change the very ground you walked on (as I guess some people do), and then people started to confront you with the reality that you could have ended up in the same place for half or even a fifth the cost, you might try to rationalize your expenditure in anyway.  After all, it's a sunk cost, argo can never get his money back from Penn, so he goes on debating the "eliteness" of his education.

FYI argo, I'm from the Northeast.  I hang out with the "Northeast Elite" every day, I may even be considered one of them.  I have problems with very few of them, mostly the ones who attribute all their ability, their hopes, their ideas, and their dreams to some Ivy League school that they spent a few years at.  It's a bit sad really.

You seem to be a bit more reasonable than the jock from UCLA so I will dignify this with an answer.  To summarize what I said, Penn changed my life the way a state school would not have.  This is it.  I was talking about MY experience.  I was not drawing universal conclusions.  You and the bruinboy are committing a falacy of generalizing based on an unrepresentative sample.

Is having a Penn degree sufficient to give me an edge over a state school graduate with the same exact numbers?  Maybe, maybe not.  Will it be the only thing that matters later in life? No.  Will it be something that influenced me and defined who I am (for better or, I may even concede, for worse)?  @#!* yeah.  I was talking about the long term goals, not only the immediate future.  And, in no way did I imply or suggest that where you go to law school doesn't matter.

--
"And that is what is so great about the Internet. It enables pompous blowhards to connect with other pompous blowhards in a vast circle-jerk of pomposity."

-Bill Maher

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2008, 08:15:20 PM »
1. Your statements keep getting more outrageous. A school within Penn undergrad is more difficult to get into than Harvard College? I would gladly welcome any link you could provide that supports this contention

2. Ideas and dreams are mainly planted in college? Overly dramatic statements like this come off as highly laughable and immature. First, legal education completely changes the way you analyze problems and affects your "thinking" and "dreaming" in a much more significant fashion than some undergrad Organaizational Behavior 101 class taught by the TA. Second, you attended a SUNY into your sophomore year. Is this to mean that you were without ideas and dreams during your first two years at SUNY and suddenly developed them upon setting foot on a different campus?

You seem set on defending the prestige of your undergrad and dismissing the importance of the law school. If you don't care about going to law school, why are you even posting on this message board? You're starting to sound like the guy who takes an abnormal amount of pride in his UG because he couldn't get into a decent law school.

First, your're misinformed.  Second, you keep ignoring what I had written.  Third, I haven't applied to law school, yet.  But when i do, I can assure you I'll do much better than GW.  Finally, now would be the time to call you an assh0le and finish the conversation.

Hard to argue with your elegance and persuasion. You are a credit to a Penn education.

PS: I wish you the best of luck should you ever apply for admission to law school. But before you go bashing all of us who attend law schools you deem not to be elite, please realize that the average LSAT score of undergradute students from Penn is 5 points below the median LSAT at GW Law.  ;D
In: Case Western ($$), IU-B ($$), USD ($$), Pitt ($$), Iowa, Wisconsin , George Mason ($), Loyola-LA ($$), UC-Davis, UIUC ($), American, Tulane ($$),GW
Out: Notre Dame,BC,WUSTL,Cornell,W&L

argo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2008, 08:23:17 PM »

First, your're misinformed.  Second, you keep ignoring what I had written.  Third, I haven't applied to law school, yet.  But when i do, I can assure you I'll do much better than GW.  Finally, now would be the time to call you an assh0le and finish the conversation.

Hard to argue with your elegance and persuasion. You are a credit to a Penn education.

PS: I wish you the best of luck should you ever apply for admission to law school. But before you go bashing all of us who attend law schools you deem not to be elite, please realize that the average LSAT score of undergradute students from Penn is 5 points below the median LSAT at GW Law.  ;D

You seriously need help.  When did I ever "bash all of us who attend law schools"?  And the statistic you just quoted is a real dagger. Good job.
--

-Bill Maher

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2008, 08:25:06 PM »

I was talking about MY experience.  I was not drawing universal conclusions.  You and the bruinboy are committing a falacy of generalizing based on an unrepresentative sample.

Will it be something that influenced me and defined who I am (for better or, I may even concede, for worse)?  @#!* yeah.

1. I guess we figured that because you posted your comments on a broadly-read forum, they were intended to having meaning beyond your isolated experience. Thank you for clarifying to us that your comments are more of a personal diary nature and are not intended to be followed by anyone.

2. Your partial college experience at Penn defined you. OK, wonderful. How is that relevant? Nobody here is asking which colleges are the most magical. They are asking whether certain ones will help them gain entry to law school. You do realize this is a website dedicated to law school admissions?

In: Case Western ($$), IU-B ($$), USD ($$), Pitt ($$), Iowa, Wisconsin , George Mason ($), Loyola-LA ($$), UC-Davis, UIUC ($), American, Tulane ($$),GW

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2008, 08:28:22 PM »
I haven't applied to law school, yet. But when i do, I can assure you I'll do much better than GW.

When did I ever "bash all of us who attend law schools"?

Your logic is strong. If GW is beneath you, it follows that all schools below GW are also beneath you.

argo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2008, 08:33:56 PM »

I was talking about MY experience.  I was not drawing universal conclusions.  You and the bruinboy are committing a falacy of generalizing based on an unrepresentative sample.

Will it be something that influenced me and defined who I am (for better or, I may even concede, for worse)?  @#!* yeah.

1. I guess we figured that because you posted your comments on a broadly-read forum, they were intended to having meaning beyond your isolated experience. Thank you for clarifying to us that your comments are more of a personal diary nature and are not intended to be followed by anyone.

2. Your partial college experience at Penn defined you. OK, wonderful. How is that relevant? Nobody here is asking what colleges are the most magical. They are asking whether certain ones will help them gain entry to law school. You do realize this is a website dedicated to law school admissions?

Genius, by the time I had posted it, it had long strayed from the initial topic.  You and dekocards were hammering at JoeyRamone for expressing his/her opinion on colleges in general.  Why don't you go take your prozac or masturbate or something. 
--

-Bill Maher

argo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2008, 08:36:22 PM »
I haven't applied to law school, yet. But when i do, I can assure you I'll do much better than GW.

When did I ever "bash all of us who attend law schools"?

Your logic is strong. If GW is beneath you, it follows that all schools below GW are also beneath you.

Did you cheat on your LSAT?  Because you keep piling up one fallacy after another.  Good luck with that $35K/year job after you graduate in the bottom 10% at GW.
--

-Bill Maher