Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Importance of Undergrad and getting into top law schools  (Read 16132 times)

samuri99

• View Profile
Re: Importance of Undergrad and getting into top law schools
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2008, 10:22:48 AM »
Im my experience, my Cornell degree has meant next to nothing in apps (it's meant a lot in job interviews, but hardly anything in law school admission) I didn't do so great on the lsat and my gpa was a 3.2.  I looked at the charts on lawschoolnumbers, and my school decisions have always been exactly what they should have been.  if i was below the 25% range, i wasn't admitted to the school. if i was between 25-50 I either got in or got a waitlist, and if i was above 75% i got in.   

I think that the prestige of the school means something if your directly competitive with another candidate numbers wise, but dont think for a second that your going to get like a 10 point lsat boost just because you went to harvard.

argo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2008, 03:55:05 PM »
I don't want to get into this argument, but I will say bruinbor's #4 is correct.

Yes, in fact, bruinbro may have been underestimating a bit.  Once you have a law degree it doesn't make any difference.  The only people who will still try to talk about their UG is those who went the IVY BA then less prestigious JD route.  Argo's comments may make me question the intelligence of the Wharton grads we (the hiring committee at my office) interview...  Eh, probably he just hasn't pulled his head out of his Wharton ass for long enough to realize, I'll give the other Penn kids a pass.

Thanks, guys, you convinced me.  My degree ain't worth sh!t and wharton ug is just a second-rate vocational school.  There is a general Penn hatred pervading these boards and I know where it's coming from.  It's thinly veiled and quite obvious. You and bruinbro should all be proud of yourselves - real winners  ;)  Good luck in the real world.
--
"And that is what is so great about the Internet. It enables pompous blowhards to connect with other pompous blowhards in a vast circle-jerk of pomposity."

-Bill Maher

tankbrain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2008, 04:51:36 PM »
I don't want to get into this argument, but I will say bruinbor's #4 is correct.
Yes, in fact, bruinbro may have been underestimating a bit.  Once you have a law degree it doesn't make any difference.  The only people who will still try to talk about their UG is those who went the IVY BA then less prestigious JD route.  Argo's comments may make me question the intelligence of the Wharton grads we (the hiring committee at my office) interview...  Eh, probably he just hasn't pulled his head out of his Wharton ass for long enough to realize, I'll give the other Penn kids a pass.

Thanks, guys, you convinced me.  My degree ain't worth sh!t and wharton ug is just a second-rate vocational school.  There is a general Penn hatred pervading these boards and I know where it's coming from.  It's thinly veiled and quite obvious. You and bruinbro should all be proud of yourselves - real winners  ;)  Good luck in the real world.

I don't think LSD has an anti-Penn bias per se. If anything, this board exhibits the opposite bias. In this case, you invited sharp comments when you unfairly minimized state schools and made an absurd allusion equating Penn to Harvard.

Nobody is saying your degree is worthless. It’s obviously not. People are merely pointing out that it has little value in law school admissions.
LSAT: 165
GPA:  3.4

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2008, 05:13:23 PM »

OH PLEASE.  ::)

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2008, 05:29:36 PM »
tagging for the exciting conclusion...
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

argo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2008, 05:33:04 PM »

OH PLEASE.  ::)

Greenie, I was addressing dekocards and the other one.  Your quote was within his quote.  I understand that you disagree and I respect your opinion. 
--
"And that is what is so great about the Internet. It enables pompous blowhards to connect with other pompous blowhards in a vast circle-jerk of pomposity."

-Bill Maher

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2008, 05:36:53 PM »
I'm not taking either side and I think this is an interesting discussion but argo it seems like you didn't respond to some of bruinbro's comments other than to call him an idiot.

Maybe I'm an idiot and/or I joined the thread late but is there anyway you can spell out what exactly makes him an idiot?

Again, I'm just an impartial observer in this interesting discussion.
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

dekocards

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • stats
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2008, 05:53:17 PM »

I could really care less about Penn.  I respect it as a quality institution.  The fact that you make broad assertions without any justification, then attack any person who may question them, makes you seem somewhat less intelligent that I would expect from such a great school.  I mentioned several situations in which your degree was more valuable than a state school degree; however, I believe there are quite a few situations wherein your degree may be of equal or less value than a state school degree.  You can disagree but you shouldn’t call people idiots or assume that they think that your degree "ain't worht sh!t."  It seems your whole schtick is, as bruinbro mentioned, hyperbole.  Either your degree moves mountains or it is completely worthless?

Thanks for the luck, I’ve been in “the real world” for quite some time and I haven't needed it so far but things can change.  Maybe I’ll hire a summer intern from Wharton so that I can learn the true value of such an amazing degree…

argo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2008, 05:55:42 PM »

I don't think LSD has an anti-Penn bias per se. If anything, this board exhibits the opposite bias. In this case, you invited sharp comments when you unfairly minimized state schools and made an absurd allusion equating Penn to Harvard.

Nobody is saying your degree is worthless. It’s obviously not. People are merely pointing out that it has little value in law school admissions.

I wasn't denegrading state schools, I was simply stating that given an opportunity to go to a state school or an elite institution, one should choose the latter regardless of debt implications or whatever.  I simply gave myself as an example of someone who was a two-year FOB before I got to Penn and how it changed my life completely.  I then made a generalization using a hypothetical student at Harvard.  I did not compare Penn to Harvard.  Although, it is just as hard, if not harder, to get into Wharton UG than it is to get into H.

Not suprusingly dekocards and bruinbro attacked me in the same manner as they attacked another poster in this same exact thread.  After all, we are these Northeast elitist liberals who dare to express an opinion different from theirs.

To get back on subject, I'm sure that I won't bring any new enlightment upon anybody by saying that life doesn't end after you get accepted to law school, or graduate from it, for that matter.  During my 10+ year career in finance and running my own Internet tech business, I met MANY lawyers who left law for various business fields, i-banking, etc.  Sure, where you went to law school matters, but the ideas that were planted in you during your undergrad years, call them even dreams, is what's going to stay with you your whole life. 
--

-Bill Maher

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2008, 06:51:47 PM »

I did not compare Penn to Harvard.  Although, it is just as hard, if not harder, to get into Wharton UG than it is to get into H.
Sure, where you went to law school matters, but the ideas that were planted in you during your undergrad years, call them even dreams, is what's going to stay with you your whole life. 

1. Your statements keep getting more outrageous. A school within Penn undergrad is more difficult to get into than Harvard College? I would gladly welcome any link you could provide that supports this contention

2. Ideas and dreams are mainly planted in college? Overly dramatic statements like this come off as highly laughable and immature. First, legal education completely changes the way you analyze problems and affects your "thinking" and "dreaming" in a much more significant fashion than some undergrad Organaizational Behavior 101 class taught by the TA. Second, you attended a SUNY into your sophomore year. Is this to mean that you were without ideas and dreams during your first two years at SUNY and suddenly developed them upon setting foot on a different campus?

You seem set on defending the prestige of your undergrad and dismissing the importance of the law school. If you don't care about going to law school, why are you even posting on this message board? You're starting to sound like the guy who takes an abnormal amount of pride in his UG because he couldn't get into a decent law school.
In: Case Western ($$), IU-B ($$), USD ($$), Pitt ($$), Iowa, Wisconsin , George Mason ($), Loyola-LA ($$), UC-Davis, UIUC ($), American, Tulane ($$),GW
Out: Notre Dame,BC,WUSTL,Cornell,W&L