Law School Discussion

Importance of Undergrad and getting into top law schools

Re: Importance of Undergrad and getting into top law schools
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2008, 08:12:58 PM »
What can Brown do for you?

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2008, 08:13:31 PM »

Allow you to smoke pounds of weed like a champ... ;)

UnoriginalAndrew

• I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2008, 08:20:16 PM »
Today I've learned that a BC Law degree is by somehow mediocre? 

But as someone who went to a very rigorous (but nowhere near as rigorous as Joey Ramone's...) ugrad, I wish to put in my two cents.

Personally I picked my elitist undergrad because I come from a not-so-wealthy family, and the financial aid package made it almost as affordable as my local state school.  After that, it became a no-brainer.  However, just noting from my friends' experiences at other schools -- I'm very, very glad I went where I did.  I've already seen how powerful the alumni network is, and I've seen how good the job prospects were in comparison to other schools.  As an uncertain high school senior, that was very important to me.  There are a lot of companies that simply won't recruit or hire people who didn't go to a certain school.

As it turns out, I'm going straight to law school, so the straight-from-ugrad job prospects aren't as important anymore.   However, I do feel that the education I received will help me out in law school tremendously.  I know how much work I had to do.  And I know how much work my friends at other schools had to do, some of whom got excellent grades.  And maybe I'll be proven sorely wrong, but I really think my education will help me out a lot more than someone who didn't work as hard at their undergrad. 

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2008, 08:26:25 PM »

Brown, and my fab pre law dean got me into CLS  ;)..seriously.  (long story, don't feel like explaining).

But as someone who went to a very rigorous (but nowhere near as rigorous as Joey Ramone's...) ugrad, I wish to put in my two cents.

Personally I picked my elitist undergrad because I come from a not-so-wealthy family, and the financial aid package made it almost as affordable as my local state school.  After that, it became a no-brainer.  However, just noting from my friends' experiences at other schools -- I'm very, very glad I went where I did.  I've already seen how powerful the alumni network is, and I've seen how good the job prospects were in comparison to other schools.  As an uncertain high school senior, that was very important to me.  There are a lot of companies that simply won't recruit or hire people who didn't go to a certain school.

As it turns out, I'm going straight to law school, so the straight-from-ugrad job prospects aren't as important anymore.   However, I do feel that the education I received will help me out in law school tremendously.  I know how much work I had to do.  And I know how much work my friends at other schools had to do, some of whom got excellent grades.  And maybe I'll be proven sorely wrong, but I really think my education will help me out a lot more than someone who didn't work as hard at their undergrad. 

I feel the same.  Don't worry about explaining your reasons for picking your ug. :)

« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2008, 08:28:43 PM »
Funny I chose a less prestigious UG because of money, and I don't regret it for a second, especially with all the law school debt I'll have.

I also got great internships through my school which led me to law and in the legal world making connections... hmmm

« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2008, 08:36:54 PM »
Funny I chose a less prestigious UG because of money, and I don't regret it for a second, especially with all the law school debt I'll have.

I also got great internships through my school which led me to law and in the legal world making connections... hmmm

the state school i applied to would have cost more than Brown and would have required me to take out some hefty loans.

« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2008, 08:39:16 PM »

the state school i applied to would have cost more than Brown and would have required me to take out some hefty loans.

More power to you, er, us.  Truly I think a cheaper undergrad is more important.

« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2008, 08:39:46 PM »

I didn't say there aren't reasons to go to Penn or Brown.  There are a lot of good reasons to go, if I got similar money from an Ivy for UG, I probably would have gone.  I get annoyed when people assume that they received this incredibly better education just because where they went to school.  I was mostly just saying it was mediocre to piss off the guy who seemed like a blind prestige-whore.  BC is good, but I'm sure it hurts him a little inside that he didn't get into Penn Law, and I take just a little pleasure in that...  Call me a sadist.

« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2008, 08:42:12 PM »
The undergrads that impress NYC employers are MIT, Harvard, Yale, UPenn, Columbia, Cornell, Princeton, and Stanford. 

« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2008, 08:55:07 PM »

More power to you, er, us.  Truly I think a cheaper undergrad is more important.

Depending on what you want to do, yes. :)