Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Importance of Undergrad and getting into top law schools  (Read 16120 times)

bloveslattes

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Importance of Undergrad and getting into top law schools
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2008, 09:09:31 PM »
I went to Michigan. I would simply say LSAT is most important, although GPA is important too. You will find lopsided stats like, such as avg lsat score being 160-163 and average gpa 3.2-3.6....Thus, if you can't crank that lsat score up there, even having an impressive 3.6, 3.7 won't do it.
Undergrad prestige is overrated. Go to a good school, but make sure it's the one where you can perform the best. My opinion is that a 3.9 from Arizona State is better than a 3.3 from Michigan.

dekocards

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • stats
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2008, 09:54:44 PM »
Dekocards -- and everyone else on this board, since this seems to be the majority opinion -- I don't really feel like arguing with you about this ad nauseum.

Saying this garbage and then proceeding to make a paragraph-long argument is essentially dialectical fraud.  It's a completely dishonest and obnoxious tactic to make yourself appear too important or too uninterested to continue an argument, while still making your final points.

You just made a lot of inane assumptions (showing clearly your elitist attitude). You think that because I worried about my finances that I somehow disregarded the academic programs of my school?  My UG has one of the top programs in the field I studied.  You kind of make me want to puke when you say thinks like, "But the reason for wanting a rigorous education was really so that I could be, well, a more educated person, for lack of better terminology."  By rigorous are you referring to the inflated grades or the rich kids with popped collars?  Your comments exude arrogant elitism; I'd guess you went to a lower ranked Ivy, Brown was it?  I studied with some of the top scholars in my field, I hung out with incredibly intelligent people, most of them decided to take up the state's offer to finance our less... "rigorous" education.  Simply because I focused my argument on the tangibles, don't assume that I disregard the value of education.

On the other hand, we common plebes must worry about such mundane things as making enough money to live.  My group of friends are all going on to amazing graduate and professional schools... Or they went straight to places like Goldman, DB, JPM, white shoe consulting firms...  The OP was asking about his future school, possibly career, options, so I focused on those aspects of public schools rather than the “academic experience” you seem eager to assume is superior to that which any public education could provide.

You will do much better in life, IMHO, if you drop the obnoxious arrogance.  You probably didn't get a better education, and you certainly can't assume that just because of the UG school you attended, please cut the crap.  Anyway, good luck with your elite UG and your mediocre JD.  Just kidding, we're both going to Jesuit schools, we should be friends...

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2008, 10:09:53 PM »
Hi all. I am set on going to law school and will be a junior in college this coming call. I would like to know your peronal opinions on what you think would help me utilize my options in hope of getting into the best law school post graduation. I know UGPA and LSAT are generally considered the most important, but what about prestige of the undergraduate institution? I currently have a 3.75 GPA and have been admitted to Vanderbilt, UPenn, Emory, Washington University in St.Louis, Notre Dame,and Johns Hopkins. I was just wondering what one you think would be the best choice in receiving recognition from law schools. Please no "the only thing that matters is gpa and lsat". What have been your experiences or observations with people who had lower lsat scores or gpa's but went to a certain elite university where they may have gotten into a better law school because of where they went to undergrad at?

Undergrad attended has almost no impact on most admissions decisions, except in some cases where (a) you went the undergrad of the law school applied to; OR (b) you went to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, or Stanford.
In: Case Western ($$), IU-B ($$), USD ($$), Pitt ($$), Iowa, Wisconsin , George Mason ($), Loyola-LA ($$), UC-Davis, UIUC ($), American, Tulane ($$),GW
Out: Notre Dame,BC,WUSTL,Cornell,W&L

dischord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2008, 10:41:45 PM »
That "garbage" that I followed up with an "inane" set of assumptions was meant to imply that that was going to be my last response.  But since you're obviously too dense to have caught the meaning, I had to come back and spell it out for you.

Oh, and PS, I didn't go to Brown, which you would have known had you read the rest of the thread more carefully.  ::)
At least I can f-ing think.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2008, 10:44:12 PM »
Dekocards -- and everyone else on this board, since this seems to be the majority opinion -- I don't really feel like arguing with you about this ad nauseum.

Saying this garbage and then proceeding to make a paragraph-long argument is essentially dialectical fraud.  It's a completely dishonest and obnoxious tactic to make yourself appear too important or too uninterested to continue an argument, while still making your final points.

You just made a lot of inane assumptions (showing clearly your elitist attitude). You think that because I worried about my finances that I somehow disregarded the academic programs of my school?  My UG has one of the top programs in the field I studied.  You kind of make me want to puke when you say thinks like, "But the reason for wanting a rigorous education was really so that I could be, well, a more educated person, for lack of better terminology."  By rigorous are you referring to the inflated grades or the rich kids with popped collars?  Your comments exude arrogant elitism; I'd guess you went to a lower ranked Ivy, Brown was it?  I studied with some of the top scholars in my field, I hung out with incredibly intelligent people, most of them decided to take up the state's offer to finance our less... "rigorous" education.  Simply because I focused my argument on the tangibles, don't assume that I disregard the value of education.

On the other hand, we common plebes must worry about such mundane things as making enough money to live.  My group of friends are all going on to amazing graduate and professional schools... Or they went straight to places like Goldman, DB, JPM, white shoe consulting firms...  The OP was asking about his future school, possibly career, options, so I focused on those aspects of public schools rather than the “academic experience” you seem eager to assume is superior to that which any public education could provide.

You will do much better in life, IMHO, if you drop the obnoxious arrogance.  You probably didn't get a better education, and you certainly can't assume that just because of the UG school you attended, please cut the crap.  Anyway, good luck with your elite UG and your mediocre JD.  Just kidding, we're both going to Jesuit schools, we should be friends...

hey hey hey, no need to talk smack about my fabulous alma mater.
Columbia 3L

dekocards

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • stats
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2008, 10:52:07 PM »
That "garbage" that I followed up with an "inane" set of assumptions was meant to imply that that was going to be my last response.  But since you're obviously too dense to have caught the meaning, I had to come back and spell it out for you.

Oh, and PS, I didn't go to Brown, which you would have known had you read the rest of the thread more carefully.  ::)

No I caught your meaning pretty well, I think I discussed that in the first line of my post, and it is indeed both "inane" and "garbage."  If you want to give up on an argument just don't post.  Just like a Penn kid to need the last word.  Indeed, it's garbage.

dekocards

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • stats
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2008, 10:55:05 PM »

My apologies, the Jesuit Ivy is a great school.  Too bad it's JD program is only mediocre...  It's not smack talk, more a statement of the downward trajectory of Joey Ramone's educational/career path.

dischord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2008, 10:56:38 PM »
Fine.  I won't.  But it doesn't make you any less of a pompous prick than I am an elitist, which I'm not ashamed to say I am.
At least I can f-ing think.

dekocards

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • stats
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2008, 11:01:14 PM »
Fine.  I won't.  But it doesn't make you any less of a pompous prick than I am an elitist, which I'm not ashamed to say I am.

Eh, I've been called a "pompous prick" by people who went to way more "elite" undergrads than you...

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2008, 11:10:04 PM »

My apologies, the Jesuit Ivy is a great school.  Too bad it's JD program is only mediocre...  It's not smack talk, more a statement of the downward trajectory of Joey Ramone's educational/career path.

No, I was talking about Brown.
Columbia 3L