Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Really depressing. Need advice from you guys.  (Read 3274 times)

RokoMotion

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Really depressing. Need advice from you guys.
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 02:12:31 AM »
Not to make LSD my sounding board for grammar pet peeves, but why is everyone on the internet collectively ditching subjects in their sentences? Don't like it. Sounds stupid. Guess it's not that big of a deal.

Don't know, but sucks.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 03:51:37 AM »
First, I would think that, unless you have some really good soft factors or URM status, your GPA dooms your shot at a T14.

But, screw your GPA and the top 14, your LSAT will set you up with a sweet ride at a Lower T1/Upper T2 school that gives a lot of weight to your LSAT (most do). Apply to any school in Florida, Texas (besides UT), or most anywhere else and you're ballin' out of control. Additionally, almost any T3 will probably give you a full ride and virtually all T4 schools will probably do the same plus a stipend.

Really, you're probably in pretty good shape at 90% of the law schools just based on your LSAT. Your GPA leaves something to be desired, but your LSAT is nearly perfect and that doesn't escape the attention of most places.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

BurtsBees

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 12:42:40 PM »
First, I would think that, unless you have some really good soft factors or URM status, your GPA dooms your shot at a T14.

But, screw your GPA and the top 14, your LSAT will set you up with a sweet ride at a Lower T1/Upper T2 school that gives a lot of weight to your LSAT (most do). Apply to any school in Florida, Texas (besides UT), or most anywhere else and you're ballin' out of control. Additionally, almost any T3 will probably give you a full ride and virtually all T4 schools will probably do the same plus a stipend.

Really, you're probably in pretty good shape at 90% of the law schools just based on your LSAT. Your GPA leaves something to be desired, but your LSAT is nearly perfect and that doesn't escape the attention of most places.

??? ??? ???

No shot at t14 with 177 and a GPA above 3?

deedeeleigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 01:26:23 PM »
There are plenty of splitters like this who made it to MVP range, and definitely to Cornell/GULC.

Chicago would be a stretch though.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 05:08:06 PM »
Fair enough, I guess if he really wants a T14, he can take Cornell/GULC... :) I still think he'll have a problem getting into most of the T14, but I guess all it takes is one.

I'm still sticking to my position that the best thing for him to do is to take a good deal from some still respectable school that is willing to buy his LSAT.

TheCause

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 12:43:28 PM »
Additionally, almost any T3 will probably give you a full ride and virtually all T4 schools will probably do the same plus a stipend.

Stay away from T3 schools. 

I understand that finance is a very tough major, especially if you were in a strong program.  It is true that Ad-Coms might take your junior year situation under consideration, and I wish you luck.

You have the benefit of a great LSAT, and you should probably make two decisions before you proceed:
1: Where do you want to work?   This is important because you may be able to get a fantastic scholarship at a very strong regional school.
2: How much debt is the T14 worth.   This number will be different for everyone.  Due to the weak job market, it may be in your best long-term interest to go to the school with the best job prospects reguardless of debt.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 03:35:48 PM »
Additionally, almost any T3 will probably give you a full ride and virtually all T4 schools will probably do the same plus a stipend.

Stay away from T3 schools. 

You have the benefit of a great LSAT, and you should probably make two decisions before you proceed:
1: Where do you want to work?   This is important because you may be able to get a fantastic scholarship at a very strong regional school.
2: How much debt is the T14 worth.   This number will be different for everyone.  Due to the weak job market, it may be in your best long-term interest to go to the school with the best job prospects reguardless of debt.

If OP wants little or no debt, he can certainly find a good T3 that will make that possible. Some T3s are only T3s because they're in poor parts of the U.S., like Mississippi, Western Texas, Montana, and so on. It's just a matter of if you'd like to live in those places. He can probably find some T1/T2 schools to cut him a good deal, but I can think of a few T3s that would make perfectly fine scholarship safeties for him.

One good thing about a lack of debt, it allows you to do what you want to do.

As for jobs, it's still a gamble no matter where you go. Your school might stack the deck in your favor some, but it's certainly far from a guarantee of a good job. If the job market really sucks and is going to suck at the same or worse levels in 4 years, OP should probably take on as little debt as possible to get his JD. It's a lot easier to live on little or no money when you don't owe it to someone.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 09:22:40 PM »
dude you can get a T14 easy...just go and don't look back. don't listen to any of this tier 2/tier 3 crap.

boilerguy84

• "I've got something to say..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2008, 12:19:34 PM »
isn't your major gpa supposed to be higher than your overall? it IS your area of focus and all.
"read a book."
Depaul '11

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2008, 02:17:48 PM »
Are we for real resigning to T3 with a 177 LSAT?  Whether this is a flame or not, OP will get substantial scholarship money from a ton of T2's and some T1's. He will very likely also be admitted to some t14's.  The term T3 should not be used in this thread.

for reals, there's people with 170ish/sub 3.0 numbers that get into T14's this guy is fine. i think he could get into at least one of MVPB easily.