Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need Help Deciding  (Read 1097 times)

NeedHelp11

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 7
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Need Help Deciding
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »
Do you really have no other options than these two? I'd say Creighton, too, but I'm wondering how the heck you ended up in this situation.

I followed the advice I read in this and other forums and applied to a lot of schools. Villanova was one of my targets. My UGPA/LSAT fell within the Villanova 25-75%, toward the lower end (160/3.25). I went to a decent undergrad, but not incredibly prestigious. My soft factors are probably average and I do not have URM status. After visiting Villanova and Philly, I really felt at home and made my decision.

As a safety, I applied to a number of TTT schools. I received scholarships offers from every TTT I applied to, usually in the 50% range.

After making my final decision, I started withdrawing from law schools, so seats would open for other students. Schools have seat deposit deadlines, but I was receiving information from a lot of schools after the seat deposit deadlines. I started withdrawing to make sure other students would be able to have a seat and to free up scholarship money.

Several days after withdrawing from Creighton, I got a letter in the mail offering me 100%. I called them up and they said my withdrawal had not been processed and they wanted to extend the offer of full tuition, books and fees.

After my offer from Creighton, I contacted Villanova. I heard back from Villanova this morning, and they said they do not match scholarships, but scholarship money for 10k/year had opened up. That will put tuition at 21k/yr for Villanova.

You asked how I ended up in this position, Villanova was my school of choice and a wrench got thrown into the equation at the last minute. It was not something I intended to have happen, but it certainly was not the worst thing in the world.

RonSantoRules

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 74
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help Deciding
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 01:17:54 PM »
NeedHelp, you have a tough choice to make, as it is tough to turn down any full scholarships, regardless of if it is a T3. Again, make sure to know the stipulations before accepting so you don't get shafted on it if you do choose to go that route.

I would direct you to the following two links, which break down the rank vs. debt debate (http://www.law.com/jsp/law/careercenter/lawArticleCareerCenter.jsp?id=1208256428026) and a PDF which gives you a breakdown or job prospects for Villanova in Philly and Creighton in NE (http://www.law.com/img/nlj/charts/composite.pdf). The PDF will give you a breakdown of job prospects by region, with Nova in the Philly market and Creighton overall, so just make sure to scroll down to find those (Philly on p. 8 and NE on p. 10).

Just looking at the chart, it appears that Nova puts about 15% of its class into BigLaw (defined here as NLJ 250) in Philly and another 10% into clerkships (based on 2005 data I think). Creighton meanwhile puts about maybe 3% of its class into NLJ 250 firms, maybe 5% into clerkships, and a whopping 15% into "business," which is defined in this study as  anything business related in including "in-house legal work, investment banking, selling insurance, waiting tables and driving a cab." Keep in mind the implications of these choices when weighing rank vs. debt, as it truly depends on your career goals.

I am not sure what your career goals are, but make sure to keep in mind if you want to work in a NLJ 250 firm, Nova will give you the best chance. If you want to work in NE or IA in a small firm, Creighton isn't a bad choice. It also is important to keep in mind the 68% of Nova grads stay in PA and 59% of Creighton grads end up in NE. Therefore, there is a 2 out of 3 chance you will stay in the state in either place, so make sure you like the school and area.

Good luck and hope this helps. 

NeedHelp11

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 7
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Need Help Deciding
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 01:53:02 PM »
Thank you very much RonSanto. That was a very helpful post. For my situation, taking a shot at Villanova makes sense. I want to leave the door open for BigLaw, and I want to live in a major metro.

RonSantoRules

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 74
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help Deciding
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 02:50:56 PM »
Thank you very much RonSanto. That was a very helpful post. For my situation, taking a shot at Villanova makes sense. I want to leave the door open for BigLaw, and I want to live in a major metro.

No problem. Again, it all depends on what your personal goals are, but that chart made it appear that Nova grads do quite well in Philly, and this might make taking on the type of debt you are looking at feasible. Keep in mind that data is from a couple years ago, but I don't think that would change things too dramatically with regards to placement from either school. I also am not sure if you have visited Creighton (it sounded like you have visited Nova), but I can tell you from experience that the two are night and day in terms of people, COL, etc., so you might want to visit Creighton too if you decide you are serious about accepting their offer.

mnewboldc

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 99
    • View Profile
    • No Record Press
    • Email
Re: Need Help Deciding
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 08:27:12 PM »
Depending on what your personal goals are, Villanova offers a 4-year JD/MBA combo.

This isn't an uncommon option. However, 'Nova's B-School program is allegedly underrated, considering that quite a few former Wharton profs, who can open doors, are on the faculty.

Esp. at a low T2 school, and in a soft economy, that additional degree could eventually be the difference between getting a good gig out of school or not.
Cornell 2011

NeedHelp11

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 7
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Need Help Deciding
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 11:14:46 PM »
I also am not sure if you have visited Creighton (it sounded like you have visited Nova), but I can tell you from experience that the two are night and day in terms of people, COL, etc., so you might want to visit Creighton too if you decide you are serious about accepting their offer.

Yeah, I have visited Omaha which another reason I am not sure I am willing to take up the Creighton offer. The Creighton campus is not bad, but Omaha is definitely no metropolis. There is definitely a level of difference in sophistication, things to do and long-term opportunities between Philly and Omaha.

If I go to Creighton I am regionally committed to the Nebraska/Iowa area, at least immediately following law school. Villanova may not be a national T14 or T25, but at least I could see myself living in Philly.

likewise

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 1055
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help Deciding
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 12:22:40 PM »
I'm so happy for you (OP) that you were able to secure some scholarship money from Villnova, making it an excellent choice.  I wish you the best of luck.