Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need Help Deciding  (Read 1128 times)

NeedHelp11

• View Profile
    • Email
Need Help Deciding
« on: May 19, 2008, 06:26:45 PM »
OK, I have a dilemma. I thought I had decided on a law school, but I had some things change recently. I had been planning on attending a mid-high T2, but I recently got a full tuition scholarship offer from a high TTT.

Is 100k in tuition debt at a mid/high T2 worth 100k tuition debt, versus $0 tuition debt at a high TTT? The scholarship offer comes without a minimum GPA stipulation and completely removes the risk from law school. I can see benefits on both sides of this issue. Does anyone have any input?

AmyWaxFanClubPresident

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help Deciding
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 06:28:18 PM »
Really depends on the actual schools, where you want to work, and what kind of work you want to do.
"This semester I will plunge you into the slough of despair, and when you are at your most desolate and are ready to give up, I will give you some light" - Professor Amy Wax

NeedHelp11

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 06:36:31 PM »
Really depends on the actual schools, where you want to work, and what kind of work you want to do.

Removing the actual schools from the equation, is there a time when a full tuition ride to a TTT is better than mid/high T2 with a lot of debt? I know that is an awfully vague question, but a full tuition scholarship takes a lot of pressure off. It isn't like comparing a T14 to a T4 either, there is not a lot of ranking room separating T2 vs. high T3, although I do know the job prospects change.

T2 is a major gamble, because unless you are in the top 10-15% of your class, BigLaw won't be waiting upon graduation. T3 almost completely knocks the BigLaw option out. With the economy going soft, a full tuition scholarship is very attractive.

AmyWaxFanClubPresident

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 06:38:20 PM »
This is all way too vague to give you an answer.  Sorry.  But there is less difference between T2 and TTT than you think.

Removing the actual schools from the equation, is there a time when a full tuition ride to a TTT is better than mid/high T2 with a lot of debt? I know that is an awfully vague question, but a full tuition scholarship takes a lot of pressure off. It isn't like comparing a T14 to a T4 either, there is not a lot of ranking room separating T2 vs. high T3, although I do know the job prospects change.

T2 is a major gamble, because unless you are in the top 10-15% of your class, BigLaw won't be waiting upon graduation. T3 almost completely knocks the BigLaw option out. With the economy going soft, a full tuition scholarship is very attractive.
"This semester I will plunge you into the slough of despair, and when you are at your most desolate and are ready to give up, I will give you some light" - Professor Amy Wax

AmyWaxFanClubPresident

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 07:28:05 PM »
Lol, of course there are times when it makes sense.  I assumed the OP was asking about his situation.

This is all way too vague to give you an answer.  Sorry.  But there is less difference between T2 and TTT than you think.

why are you so non-committal?  the bolded has a very clear answer: yes there are such times.

Bulldog86

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 11:12:57 PM »
When you say "high TTT", your realize that T3 and T4 are in alphabetical order, right? Just thought that was worth noting.

But yeah, there are definitely times when that's worth it. Honestly, T2 and T3 are all pretty local/regional schools... in other words, US News rank has very little relevance; networking and possibly alumni connections are going to be huge. You're not getting BIGLAW, you will likely be living in the city or state where the school is, and debt should be a major consideration when you're making ~$50K tops.

Don't assume T3s are any more toilet-like than T2s. This kind of decision is very much based on the particulars of the applicant's situation.
UVA Law Class of 2011

NeedHelp11

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 12:06:53 AM »
Creighton full-ride, Villanova nothing.

I was intentionally vague because I was hoping there was a way to get an answer to the question without involving any personal biases.

The idea of finishing law school, especially if the economy stays soft, with no debt (I am fortunate enough to have financial assistance from family to cover living costs), makes Quinnipiac very appealing.

I know that my job chances out of Villanova are going to be better, including the chance of ending up at a BigLaw firm. I like the Philly area, I prefer living in a large city and I would like to leave as many doors open as possible, but is it worth passing up no debt for a 10-15% chance at BigLaw?

Another consideration is that I can live like a king in Omaha for far less than slum living in Philly. My car insurance, everything shoots through the roof in Philly. I am easily looking at 100k+ debt in Philly, especially if I need a few extra dollars for living expenses vs. no debt in Omaha. 

NeedHelp11

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 12:14:53 AM »
When you say "high TTT", your realize that T3 and T4 are in alphabetical order, right? Just thought that was worth noting.

I was basing my "high TTT" statements off of the US News TTT rankings that were on their website immediately after the new rankings came out. There is a complete list of them here:

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php?topic=104552.msg5081757

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 10:16:22 AM »
Go to Creighton. However, check what you have to do to keep your scholarship. If you have to stay in the top third of your class it could be difficult to keep it.

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 10:29:35 AM »
Do you really have no other options than these two? I'd say Creighton, too, but I'm wondering how the heck you ended up in this situation.

Creighton is a good school, but you'll be hard-pressed to get a gig out of NE or IA. I'm planning on practicing in IA after graduating from Temple, so I know that challenge.