Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: National Appeal?  (Read 2792 times)

latech

• View Profile
National Appeal?
« on: May 19, 2008, 12:29:10 PM »
I have been reading on here that Tulane has a national appeal.  At least a lot more national than schools ranked around it and that it is overall underrated....  Is this true?  And if so, what schools are national "players" besides the t14 of course. 

On a side note, I am trying to choose between Boston and Tulane($)... I am starting ot think that if I want to live and practice in Texas or anywhere in the South, Tulane is right for me?

Marc03

• View Profile
    • numbers
Re: National Appeal?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 02:29:54 PM »
yes, Tulane is the clear choice if you're looking to do well in the south and it really should not be a tough decision.

As far as national schools outside of the t14, there are only a couple of truly "national" schools based on employment statistics:
Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, and then you might be able to make a case for WUSTL.

That is NOT to say that degrees from UT, UCLA, USC, etc do not travel well, just that most of those graduates stay in the area (probably mostly due to self-selection).

AmyWaxFanClubPresident

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 03:41:50 PM »
Blatant Notre Dame trolling.

yes, Tulane is the clear choice if you're looking to do well in the south and it really should not be a tough decision.

As far as national schools outside of the t14, there are only a couple of truly "national" schools based on employment statistics:
Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, and then you might be able to make a case for WUSTL.

That is NOT to say that degrees from UT, UCLA, USC, etc do not travel well, just that most of those graduates stay in the area (probably mostly due to self-selection).
"This semester I will plunge you into the slough of despair, and when you are at your most desolate and are ready to give up, I will give you some light" - Professor Amy Wax

latech

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 05:00:37 PM »
So if one was to attend Boston University, would they still have good appeal in the South?  For instance, if a Boston graduate applied for positions in Dallas at some good law firms and was up against SMU graduates, do you think the employer would look favorable on a Boston degree which would be unique compared to the rest of their firm and also would the degree be a good one to have for someone who might already have the appeal of being from the South and gaining a new experience up East.

kasa530

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 12:03:41 PM »
Texas firms seem to look far more favorably on Texas grads, and after Texas grads, then they look at T14. My very large TEXASLAW firm's summer associates are all Texas schools, then Columbia, NYU, Duke, UVA and Georgetown.
Based on what I have seen here and at previous firms, if you want to work in Texas, go to UT. If you dont want to go to UT, go to a big New York school. 

I've seen two Tulane grads come through here in the past two years and both were let go. Of course, thats not any kind of representative sample, just anecdotal observation.

Aristone07

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 02:46:40 PM »
Tulane is not a national law school.  As someone who considered Tulane when applying to law schools and has had experience with biglaw in the Northeast, I would not consider it national in the least.  The Top 14 schools are the truly national schools and that is that.  Super-regional schools (schools that do very well in their region and well nationally if you are, say, top third...probably top 10%) would include schools such as Vandy, USC, UCLA, Texas, ND, WUSTL, BU, BC and GW.  I may be missing one or two there.

While Tulane does usually do better for job prospects than those schools located around it, do not attend the school simply because you beleve the degree is portable anywhere.  This rabid Tulane trolling needs to stop.  In this economy, a T2 is not necessarily the best place to be unless you have a decent scholarship (which you do).  That's just my two sense...good luck with your decision. 

Gitmo Jones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 03:22:45 PM »
Tulane is not a national law school.  As someone who considered Tulane when applying to law schools and has had experience with biglaw in the Northeast, I would not consider it national in the least.  The Top 14 schools are the truly national schools and that is that.  Super-regional schools (schools that do very well in their region and well nationally if you are, say, top third...probably top 10%) would include schools such as Vandy, USC, UCLA, Texas, ND, WUSTL, BU, BC and GW.  I may be missing one or two there.

While Tulane does usually do better for job prospects than those schools located around it, do not attend the school simply because you beleve the degree is portable anywhere.  This rabid Tulane trolling needs to stop.  In this economy, a T2 is not necessarily the best place to be unless you have a decent scholarship (which you do).  That's just my two sense...good luck with your decision. 

First it is two cents, tard.  Second Tulane is a tier one.  Third you do not know what you are talking about, the majority of those schools you named are national schools.

Aristone07

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 03:31:40 PM »
First, I wrote that rather quickly and should have proof-read, but did not.  Also, I was merely giving my opinion after applying to all types of schools, my experiences in biglaw and as someone who has aided in the interviewing process for canididates of biglaw.  Why are you resorting to name calling?  It only further diminishes your credibility. 

As for Tulane being Tier 1, I didn't know that.  When I applied, it was not Tier 1.  That being said, my original argument stands that Tulane is not national.  Please do not go to Tulane believing it to be a truly national school...it is not. 

As for the other schools (and having attended one of those schools), I can tell you they are not national.  Especially in this market.  Like I said, the only truly national schools are the Top 14.  The degree portability of the Top 14 is unmatched by any other school.  Simple as that.  Please go back and read threads on the schools I listed and you will find that your view on these schools is plain wrong.  If you do well, then you can go anywhere.  But try being bottom 50% or something at those schools and getting a job across the country. 

You obviously attend Tulane due to the "tard" response given.  I'm not trying to offend you (which clearly, you are trying to offend me), but the Top 14 are the only schools that are national in appeal.  Tulane is a good school for the south, but (by no means) is national.

Gitmo Jones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 03:52:30 PM »
Alright big guy, the only thing about Tulane in my response was that it was tier one, and I do not think Tulane has been Tier 2, but I will look that up later, I also never said being in the bottom 50 percent at GW could get you a job in Los Angeles, I was saying that it was national because people from the 15 to 25 schools could get jobs across the nation, it is possible, where as going to a school below that rank it would be near impossible to get a big law job anywhere in the nation, regardless of how well you do.

I also called you a tard because your post deserved a ride on the short bus.

Gitmo Jones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 03:56:42 PM »
Sorry Tulane was Tier 2 one year, that being the year after the HURRICANE