Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Canceling interviews after acceptance and Federal Clerkship?  (Read 3197 times)

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Hey, everyone - it's been awhile since I posted here!

This week I have 3 "interviews" lined up -

1. Clerk position for federal judge

2. Clerk position for large company w/ legal department (part-time)

3. Clerk position for a firm

Numbers 2 and 3 are a drive from my apartment (ouch gas prices!) whereas federal clerkship will be a short bus ride.  Plus, everyone has told me that THAT is the position I want the most.

SO - basically, I have the federal clerkship interview first (but they have told me that I pretty much have the position), so is the polite/correct thing to do to call the other two places after accepting a position and cancel the interviews? (That's what I was planning to do - say that I've accepted another offer).

And - am I making the best decision?  I've heard lots of good things about clerking for a federal district judge from lots of people!  It is unpaid, but I can get a stipend from my school.

I also have been talking to a couple of firms about part-time work during the upcoming school year ... so perhaps I can get my firm fix then?

Thanks for any and all opinions!

***EDIT: Now the one interview (big company) is TOMORROW, so I guess I'll just go - I doubt they'll offer anything on the spot, but if they do - should I just say that I have 2 more interviews this week and have yet to decide, but I will contact them as soon as I do?

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Canceling interviews after acceptance and Federal Clerkship?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 01:28:52 PM »
you don't have a federal clerkship position, you have a federal judicial internship. A clerkship for a judge is a fulltime position. You definitely want a fulltime job so I would say number 3 is least preferable. What kind of firm is it?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 11:24:26 PM »
You have no offer yet (assuring you it's as good as yours =/= getting an official offer).  If I was in your position, I wouldn't count on anything or cancel anything until I actually had something concrete.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 12:53:58 PM »
Cancel nothing until you have one offer. As soon as you are sure you would prefer the job you have been offered to another for which you have yet to interview, cancel the latter interview.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 07:39:51 PM »
I would go to every interview, and practice interviewing, even if you know for certain which job you will take.
Then, write a very nice decline letter to the two you do not pick.

If you don't interview, they'll never know you.  If you interview, then even if you decline an offer, if you do well, and decline graciously, then they will have a good opinion of you as a person, and that might be helpful to you later.

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 06:57:45 PM »
Hey all - thanks for opinions!  It's obviously a moot point, but just wanted to update:

I took the federal externship - working there rocks!

I declined the part-time big business offer after interviewing - all was well.

I cancelled the other interview, b/c I had actually applied to the firm after getting a notice about it from the PRE-LAW list-serv I'm on, and I heard from a friend who knows someone who works there that they generally hire undergrads, so it probably wouldn't be relevant legal work, but more menial stuff.

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 10:32:01 PM »
Hey all - thanks for opinions!  It's obviously a moot point, but just wanted to update:

I took the federal externship - working there rocks!

I declined the part-time big business offer after interviewing - all was well.

I cancelled the other interview, b/c I had actually applied to the firm after getting a notice about it from the PRE-LAW list-serv I'm on, and I heard from a friend who knows someone who works there that they generally hire undergrads, so it probably wouldn't be relevant legal work, but more menial stuff.

That is great!  You will enjoy it.  But, just so you know because I am not sure if  you knew at the time, you will pretty much be barred from applying for a federal clerkship with your judge.  Most judges will not hire their former interns as clerks.  Something to keep in mind.

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 09:58:04 AM »
Where in the world did you hear that?  I have never heard about a national trend of judges not hiring form interns as full-time clerks.  The judges in the courthouse I worked in frequently did so.

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 11:43:31 AM »
Where in the world did you hear that?  I have never heard about a national trend of judges not hiring form interns as full-time clerks.  The judges in the courthouse I worked in frequently did so.

From the very federal judge I work for...It is very common on the district court level, at least in the PA districts, to not hire former interns.

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 12:05:48 PM »
The federal district judge who I hope to land a judicial internship with during my 3L year does not hire former interns as post-grad clerks either.  I'm not sure if this is true with most federal district judges who hire interns or not.