Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Berkeley/Boalt...Rankings and Class of '11  (Read 1029 times)

Upset T14 Student

• View Profile
    • Email
Berkeley/Boalt...Rankings and Class of '11
« on: May 19, 2008, 10:08:22 AM »
Hey all, Any idea how a jump in the rankings like Berkeley had this year will effect this fall's class? Will the class grow larger than expected? Will they have to use the waitlist? Does it really matter for only one year? Did the rankings bust make anyone elses choice more difficult or sway anyone to choose Boalt over anywhere else?

Jerry Maguire

• View Profile
Re: Berkeley/Boalt...Rankings and Class of '11
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 01:26:22 PM »
Hey all, Any idea how a jump in the rankings like Berkeley had this year will effect this fall's class? Will the class grow larger than expected? Will they have to use the waitlist? Does it really matter for only one year? Did the rankings bust make anyone elses choice more difficult or sway anyone to choose Boalt over anywhere else?

I think they have more room to expand the tips of the class now that they have jumped so high. I think, and some others have said this, that since the number of applications per applicant have gone up, that there are more waitlisted students.

I was admitted at Boalt with 80k. It was incredibly hard for me to turn it down. The ranking, with the grading system, with Dean Edley, all together made it super tough. But I've decided UCLA is for me, and barring I get into a top 4 (WLd at all) I hope I made the right decision.

Upset T14 Student

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 08:07:57 AM »
Congrats on making the tough decision and good luck getting in off of the waitlists!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 10:48:22 AM »

I think they have more room to expand the tips of the class now that they have jumped so high. I think, and some others have said this, that since the number of applications per applicant have gone up, that there are more waitlisted students.

I was admitted at Boalt with 80k. It was incredibly hard for me to turn it down. The ranking, with the grading system, with Dean Edley, all together made it super tough. But I've decided UCLA is for me, and barring I get into a top 4 (WLd at all) I hope I made the right decision.

I'm assuming you get at least 80K or more at UCLA, right?

Jerry Maguire

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 03:27:30 PM »
yeah, I got 90k, so the fin aid was about the same. I just felt that the experience would push me over the top. I'm also conflicted about staying on those WL's. Do people have feelings one way or another about those who don't really have intention of going to a school they get accepted off WL to?

docpepper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 04:28:20 PM »
yeah, I got 90k, so the fin aid was about the same. I just felt that the experience would push me over the top. I'm also conflicted about staying on those WL's. Do people have feelings one way or another about those who don't really have intention of going to a school they get accepted off WL to?

wow that was a dumb decision. maybe it makes sense for you though.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 04:38:44 PM »

When Penn jumped in the rankings, they over-enrolled by a good amount...i'd imagine the same would happen with Berkeley.
Columbia 3L

Jerry Maguire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 06:08:21 PM »

wow that was a dumb decision. maybe it makes sense for you though.

why is that? that was a dumb post...

Upset T14 Student

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 08:16:18 AM »
When did Penn overenroll and how did that change their class numbers? Also, does Berkeley's policy to not use seat deposits cause more people to accept until the end....just in case they change their mind since their is no real penalty?