Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Life as a Summer Associate  (Read 12557 times)

JDat45

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Life as a Summer Associate
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2008, 10:32:35 AM »
$3100 if you go to a good school.

$500-$750/wk for the less exalted.

Um, no....unless it was only a few hours a day. :P

We're talking about summer between 2L & 3L, right?  If we are, the high numbers are realistic for only the upper echelon, the well-connected, and maybe a few people who are very highly motivated despite their average grades/school. Run-of-the-mill 2L summer positions - the ones most law students have and don't talk much about - pay $15-20/hr maybe with some regional variance.  After taxes/ss, they clear $500-$750/wk or so for fulltime work.   Students outside of the very best schools and without excellent connections should not count on making much more; very few of them will.  Of course, that doesn't mean that it's impossible and that you shouldn't try.

Wow at the disparity, but ok, thanks for the info. ;)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2008, 01:48:28 PM »
$3100 if you go to a good school.

$500-$750/wk for the less exalted.

Um, no....unless it was only a few hours a day. :P

We're talking about summer between 2L & 3L, right?  If we are, the high numbers are realistic for only the upper echelon, the well-connected, and maybe a few people who are very highly motivated despite their average grades/school. Run-of-the-mill 2L summer positions - the ones most law students have and don't talk much about - pay $15-20/hr maybe with some regional variance.  After taxes/ss, they clear $500-$750/wk or so for fulltime work.   Students outside of the very best schools and without excellent connections should not count on making much more; very few of them will.  Of course, that doesn't mean that it's impossible and that you shouldn't try.

Wow at the disparity, but ok, thanks for the info. ;)

I'll add that the standard is $3100/wk depending upon the CITY.  School and grades obviously play a part as well.

If, for example, you go to top notch Wash U in St. Louis and go to work for the best firms in Missouri the standard market rate is $2100/wk.

In the larger cities (NY, Chi, LA, SF) the same firm pays $3100/wk.

But understand that when we had a good economy, only 25% of all law students across the country were actually selected to work for big market rate firms.  The other 75% were not. With today's economy, who knows that figure looks like now. 

I don't know a single law firm, even here in NYC, that didn't decrease their summer intern pool significantly for next year....so I'd guess that the 25% figure is more like 15% for the class of '09 and beyond...at least until the economy is turned around anyway.

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2009, 11:59:07 PM »
started work today...exciting but still nerve wracking.
Columbia 3L

AgreeToDisagree

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2009, 12:12:49 AM »
Congrats.
"We have all met that type-- know-it-alls in our society who appoint themselves as infallible experts, but who actually know very little." - Ben Carson M.D.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2009, 06:32:59 AM »
Any real work going around?  What's the lunch limit?

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2009, 10:01:40 PM »
Any real work going around?  What's the lunch limit?

i dunno about "real" work...my first assignment is a survey.

lunch limit is (i think) $60 per person, once a week.  i don't know how much movement there is with that though.
Columbia 3L

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2009, 10:15:48 PM »
Well, ITE, I'd say that's pretty good :)

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2009, 09:13:15 AM »
I stumbled across this thread, and I think it is a really good one.  For those of you who have been through the summer associate process, could you describe it?  I understand that there is a lot of doc review and research, but what kind of hours did you keep?  How were you treated?  If offered a job, how was it offered?  How did you find out you had the summer job in the first place?  Any insight would be very helpful.
University of Kentucky 1L

LSN

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2009, 06:11:11 PM »
Doc review as a summer?  I should hope not...run away from that job.

2Ls get the jobs typically through on-campus interviews.  1Ls typically blanket firms with resumes and participate in a limited OCI.

Offers come (you hope) at the end of the summer...method varies by firm.

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2009, 08:59:08 PM »

Offers come (you hope) at the end of the summer...method varies by firm.

titcr
Warning: Educated Black Man

University of Law '09