Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Summer Employment Prospects at Temple  (Read 3037 times)

TimBeConfused

• Enforcing the Guarantee!!!
    • View Profile
Summer Employment Prospects at Temple
« on: May 18, 2008, 07:29:41 PM »
Hey everyone

As an incoming 1L I was hoping to find out how good the summer opportunities are at Temple.   Does anyone have any knowledge assuming the average Temple 1L around the median with a decent resume? 

I just wanted to hopefully hear some experiences from people who know firsthand. Thanks a lot.
If the present Congress errs in too much talking, how can it be otherwise in a body to which the people send one hundred and fifty lawyers, whose trade it is to question everything, yield nothing, and talk by the hour? ~ Thomas Jefferson

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Employment Prospects at Temple
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 08:56:10 PM »
Can't help you on Temple, but at my T-14 about half of the 1Ls place at biglaw or firms paying market rates.  The other half are doing research assistant, public interest, gov't, clerkship or study abroad gigs.  I don't know anyone completely unemployed for 1L. 

I do at my top 20. its hard getting a job. 

mutual_biscuit

• View Profile
Re: Summer Employment Prospects at Temple
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 11:04:22 AM »
I just finished my 1L at Temple and I don't know of anybody that hasn't found a job. Most of them are unpaid internships (as is common for 1L) with the majority working for a judge or some type of public interest job. The only people I know that landed big & fancy summer associate positions at large firms are are minorities, so if you're a minority you've got that going for you. A lot of people also got jobs (some paying, others not) with small and medium sized firms around the city.

I started the job search early (over Holiday break) and cast a very wide net and ended up with a good job at a medium sized firm doing the type of law I'm interested in and it pays cash $$$$. I am no superstar. I finished right around the top 1/3 of the calss, but I have a fairly deep resume.

Point being, there are a lot of opportunities for 1L summer jobs and you will certainly find something. There are especially a plethora of 1L opportunities in public interest and they host a public interest employment day which provides a great opportunity to find a summer job. The career services people do a good job of keeping you updated with opportunities and Temple has a strong network throughout the city. Start looking early and cast a wide net and you'll find something you enjoy. Wait until the last minute and put forth minimal effort, you'll still find something, probably with a judge, possibly in Camden.