Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Done with 1L; Taking Questions; Doling Sage Advice  (Read 7332 times)

RoughRider

• View Profile
Re: Done with 1L; Taking Questions; Doling Sage Advice
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2008, 04:32:04 PM »
tag

summerlovin

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2008, 09:15:05 PM »
Thanks for all of the great advice!  Is there anything did or you wish you had done during the summer before 1L to help you prepare for law school?

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2008, 05:11:58 AM »
I didn't really do much in the way of summer preparation.  I read Law School Confidential and listened to LEEWS (which I thought was interesting and might have helped me a little on exams, but was nothing earthshattering).  I didn't do any sort of subject matter preparation, not that I could have anyway, since I didn't know what section I was in or what classes I'd be taking until about a week before orientation.  I think there's enough time in the semester to do as well as you're going to do.  But maybe others who did prepare in the summer feel differently.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2008, 08:42:46 AM »
I did not do a single thing to prepare.  I'm mostly happy with my choice, though in retrospect I might have read something like Getting To Maybe.  My school had an exam taking lecture that I found that pretty helpful, but I feel like I might have been lost about the exam process if I hadn't attended.  I definitely wouldn't recommend subject matter preparation, since it's highly likely that you'll end up confusing yourself and most classes are so professor specific so you'll end up having to relearn it anyway. 

However, I would recommend starting supplements early in the semester. Find out the best ones (such as Chemerinsky for Conlaw and Understanding Crim Law) and try to read through the relevant sections as you cover them in class.  That's way more helpful than trying to understand it all before finals.  But remember that supplements are optional, so don't feel the need to buy everything that's out there.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2008, 01:05:48 PM »
I thought I'd put in my own two cents.

Some of you, believe it or not, will be disappointed and discouraged by your first semester's grades. I've had classmates, some of whom were the talkative types in class, who basically shut up, stopped going to class, etc.

But grades DO change. I was bottom half first semester, and my second semester grades are probably around where the top 10% will be. I mention this because I think people lose sight of the fact that they really can change their fortunes.

I'm not sure that anyone will remember this come january, but I figure it doesn't hurt to try and stem some of the crippling discouragement some people find first semester grades to be. Don't underestimate the emotional aspect of law school.

rekopter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2008, 08:10:45 PM »
taggard