Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: i need help TOURO vs JOHN MARSHALL (CHICAGO)????  (Read 1477 times)

boombasticlady

• View Profile
i need help TOURO vs JOHN MARSHALL (CHICAGO)????
« on: May 18, 2008, 03:19:19 PM »
i was all set to go to John Marshall because out of all my acceptances that seemed the best choice for me. Then i received an acceptance letter to Touro and i dont know what to do? can anyone help me on this?

AmyWaxFanClubPresident

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: i need help TOURO vs JOHN MARSHALL (CHICAGO)????
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 03:22:51 PM »
Standard litany of questions:  Where do you want work?  What type of job are you looking for?  How much debt will you go in for each school?
"This semester I will plunge you into the slough of despair, and when you are at your most desolate and are ready to give up, I will give you some light" - Professor Amy Wax

boombasticlady

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 03:29:01 PM »
i want to work in either in NY or Chicago. I am interested in litigation and trial advocacy. The debt for both schools will be about the same. I just received my acceptance letter to Touro on Friday. I do have family in NY and NY is closer to MA which is where i am from but i want my decision to be based on which school would be better career wise...

AmyWaxFanClubPresident

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 03:31:00 PM »
The truth is both have pretty dismal placement.  I would pick the school based on the which city you'd rather be in.  I would also consider how much debt you will have v. your expected earnings.
"This semester I will plunge you into the slough of despair, and when you are at your most desolate and are ready to give up, I will give you some light" - Professor Amy Wax

boombasticlady

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 11:03:18 PM »
i have looked at that Touro has the new building and is close to a court house which is good for practical purposes.It has to compete with about 9 top ranked law schools in NY. John Marshall is nationally recognized and is also close to a court house. I checked the firms in Chicago and they were John Marshall alums. So the placement is really not dismal. The debt will be about the same considering both have tuition around 34K. I kno they are both Tier 4 and on this board that is looked down upon. I just want advice on which will offer me the best education.

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 11:35:57 PM »
The placement at JMLS is pretty dismal, particularly if you are looking for mid to large firm work. Their reputation in the city isn't very good. The only plus is they have a pretty strong alumni base in the area, but you certainly can't count on graduating with a BigLaw job. Career Services at JMLS is also essentially worthless. I also wouldn't call JMLS nationally recognized.

boombasticlady

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 11:46:54 PM »

Insert Quote
The placement at JMLS is pretty dismal, particularly if you are looking for mid to large firm work. Their reputation in the city isn't very good. The only plus is they have a pretty strong alumni base in the area, but you certainly can't count on graduating with a BigLaw job. Career Services at JMLS is also essentially worthless. I also wouldn't call JMLS nationally recognized.

Thank you Chicagolaw83....i was referring to it in regards to Touro i still have two more schools i am waiting on but i want to make a decision since i have to move and all that other stuff. Essentially i do want to be an attorney. do you currently attend John Marshall? i just want to figure out which will be the better choice

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 12:00:37 AM »

Insert Quote

Thank you Chicagolaw83....i was referring to it in regards to Touro i still have two more schools i am waiting on but i want to make a decision since i have to move and all that other stuff. Essentially i do want to be an attorney. do you currently attend John Marshall? i just want to figure out which will be the better choice

I was a student at JMLS. I'm transferring out for fall. Chicago is a great place to live and study. I would simply say that you need to do a serious evaluation of your expectations. So long as you don't expect to make a ton of $$ after graduation, and are willing to work hard to find your own employment, JMLS is an OK place. I want to work in BigLaw, and I got lucky and did well enough to get out. Good luck with your decision!

boombasticlady

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 12:10:23 AM »
Chicagolaw83, i just sent you a personal message

rkp52

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 01:23:00 PM »
I actually chose JMLS over Michigan State because of the scholarship money they awarded me and because of it's location. Some people questioned my choice, but sometimes you have to do what is in your best interest.