Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NY Decision Suggestions, PLEASE.  (Read 1612 times)

GodspeedMUFC

• View Profile
Re: NY Decision Suggestions, PLEASE.
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 12:03:19 PM »
My advice, as I originally suggested, would be to re-think what he can/wants to do after law school graduation.  The original poster was adamant about practicing IP.  If he isn't one of the few that will land BigLaw (or a boutique),practicing IP is a problem.  If the original OP is fine with being a litigator at a small or mid size firm, then fine.  The problem is two-fold: the IP market for attorneys is very different than it was 4 years ago and small firms do not have IP practices.

BTW, you seem to assume my comments were made because I go to a T14 school.  They weren't.  I happen to have substantial pre-law school experience with IP, and I doubt anyone on this board understands the IP market more than I do.

I wish you had made this point to begin with.  If you had it wouldn't have appeared that you were slagging off on someone who likely already has enough anxiety in regards to his career choices.  Having noted your actual  IP experience (and you must admit many posters on this board lack experience in the fields in which they are advising)  your suggestions appear more constructive and helpful then they originally appeared.

My apologies for going off on you.  I feel, to a degree,  this board is filled with people who intend on preying on others anxieties in order to make them feel better about themselves. Clearly this was not your intention.

In- St. John's ($$$), Seton Hall ($$$$), Temple, Northeastern , Suffolk ($$) and American. Brooklyn

Out- Boston College, Fordham and George Washington.

Still waiting- BU.

LSAT 163 UGPA 3.3 Masters degrees with 3.95 GPA.

mikeynpz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 08:28:22 PM »
I work as an Engineer for a large international technology company that is keeping me on as a consultant for insurance reasons etc while in school and I pretty much have a job when I finish, although nothing is guaranteed in life.
I don't have any other options as far as the schools, only what I listed, I am just looking for some overall external advice on the different schools.  I am located on Long Island now, very close to Hofstra, so that would be extremely easy and would not have expense of rent.  I am waitlisted there now however, how does Hofstra compare to Pace and Seton Hall.  I've pretty much ruled out Touro because of peoples perception even though they just built a new nice law center, and Syracuse for being entirely to far away, and NYLaw for being expensive and no real advantage over my other options. 
So basically down to Seton Hall, which is a high ranked school as far as I see and they have a strong IP program, with a big concentration of classes in IP, but going in school in Newark isn't really appealing.  And being only 5-10miles from the tunnel, I can't believe only can get jobs in NJ.  Pace is in a nice area in White Plains, but is it a huge step down from Seton Hall?  And if Hofstra was to work out, how does that compare with both of the previous universities?

I know none of the above schools are as good as schools like Duke, doesn't help me pick between whats avalaible.  Please keep replies on topic, trying to relocate myself and choose school that will position me best for near and distant future in IP,

-Mike

porkandbeans

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 05:27:57 PM »

BTW, you seem to assume my comments were made because I go to a T14 school.  They weren't.  I happen to have substantial pre-law school experience with IP, and I doubt anyone on this board understands the IP market more than I do.

Jesus Christ, people give the worst f-ing advice on this board.  You realize there is only 1 firm in NJ with a substantial IP practice?  Go to Seton Hall.  Report back in three years about how your debt is crushing you because you couldn't find an IP job.

So what is your advice? Again he didn't ask you whether he should go. He didn't ask you if, compared to your T-14 school, any of his options stacked up.  He asked which of HIS options were best. Taking into account your debt comment, does this mean you think that he should go to Touro with a scholarship?  Personally I think his job prospects, in IP or anything else for that matter, would be far greater if he went to Seton Hall.  That was what his question asked and that is the answer.

thats a pretty bold statement.  mind telling us what qualifies you exactly?  note to OP, always consider the source.  this poster could be doing your a favor....or maybe not. who knows!?!

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 07:41:10 PM »
Seton Hall if you can't extort some money out of Syracuse. If nothing else, Seton Hall will probably open more doors for you than any of the others. But it is in New Jersey. You win some...
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

ecrespol

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 08:36:49 PM »
I think Seton Hall is your best choice. I would think the commute would be the same from LI as NYLS since SH is accross the street from Newark Penn Station which is a 20 min NJT ride from New York Penn. Depending on where on LI your commute could be less than an hour.

That said, I don't understand how you could get in at SH and waitlisted as Hofstra. It might be worth it to give Hofstra a call and leverage the SH thing to see if it gets you anywhere.