Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NY Decision Suggestions, PLEASE.  (Read 1627 times)

mikeynpz

• View Profile
NY Decision Suggestions, PLEASE.
« on: May 18, 2008, 11:59:20 AM »
I've been accepted at:
  Seton Hall
  Pace
  Touro ($12,000/scholarship)
  Syracuse
Waitlisted at Hofstra and NYLS

I am going for IP/Patent Law.  I have my Masters (M.S.) in Electrical Engineering.

Seton Hall seems to be the best school ranking wise (#66) and also has a strong IP program, location in Newark though is its pitfall.  I myself am located on Long Island.  Any suggestions or advice from anyone?

AmyWaxFanClubPresident

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: NY Decision Suggestions, PLEASE.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 02:43:15 PM »
95% chance you will not get an IP job from any of those schools.  You might want to re-think what your can/want to do after graduation and then re-consider the schools.
"This semester I will plunge you into the slough of despair, and when you are at your most desolate and are ready to give up, I will give you some light" - Professor Amy Wax

dekocards

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • stats
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 02:57:15 PM »
I've been accepted at:
  Seton Hall
  Pace
  Touro ($12,000/scholarship)
  Syracuse
Waitlisted at Hofstra and NYLS

I am going for IP/Patent Law.  I have my Masters (M.S.) in Electrical Engineering.

Seton Hall seems to be the best school ranking wise (#66) and also has a strong IP program, location in Newark though is its pitfall.  I myself am located on Long Island.  Any suggestions or advice from anyone?

Why do you think this?  I disagree a bit, having worked in Newark for a couple years, it isn't the greatest area, but it's improving.

mikeynpz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 04:17:31 PM »
95% chance you will not get an IP job from any of those schools.  You might want to re-think what your can/want to do after graduation and then re-consider the schools.

Lol, I got my B.S. in Computer Engineering, and my M.S. in Electrical Engineering, and spent a year and a half on my thesis, but now because of your post i'll reconsider my long term career path.  Anyone have any other advise about choosing a school from this bunch for IP law?

-Mike

AmyWaxFanClubPresident

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 04:21:31 PM »
I tried, but of course you know more than me concerning the IP market.  Carry on.

Lol, I got my B.S. in Computer Engineering, and my M.S. in Electrical Engineering, and spent a year and a half on my thesis, but now because of your post i'll reconsider my long term career path.  Anyone have any other advise about choosing a school from this bunch for IP law?

-Mike
"This semester I will plunge you into the slough of despair, and when you are at your most desolate and are ready to give up, I will give you some light" - Professor Amy Wax

argo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 10:48:30 PM »

... but now because of your post i'll reconsider my long term career path. ...
-Mike
[/quote]

Perhaps you should.
--
"And that is what is so great about the Internet. It enables pompous blowhards to connect with other pompous blowhards in a vast circle-jerk of pomposity."

-Bill Maher

GodspeedMUFC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 05:31:49 PM »
Bickering about objectively what your chances are is irrelevant.  You have provided the schools you are interested in as well as what your goals are and you have only asked what gives the best chance. 

The answer is obviously Seton Hall. After graduation you will almost certainly practise in New Jersey, but there are far worse places to be.  Yes Newark isn't that great but you are right across the street from train station and the commute shouldn't be that difficult. Pace and Touro are not in the same class as SHU and I know nothing about Syracuse but I have to laugh if you think you will like living in Syracuse better than commuting to Newark.

PS How did you manage to get into Seton Hall and get wait listed at NYLS?  Just so you know NYLS has a really awful reputation, I had a friend who graduated from NYLS summa cum laude and law review and it took her over 18 months to get a "real" legal position.

PPS Never take advice from law professor fanboy/girls they are really quite pathetic.
In- St. John's ($$$), Seton Hall ($$$$), Temple, Northeastern , Suffolk ($$) and American. Brooklyn

Out- Boston College, Fordham and George Washington.

Still waiting- BU.

LSAT 163 UGPA 3.3 Masters degrees with 3.95 GPA.

AmyWaxFanClubPresident

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 06:00:46 PM »
Jesus Christ, people give the worst f-ing advice on this board.  You realize there is only 1 firm in NJ with a substantial IP practice?  Go to Seton Hall.  Report back in three years about how your debt is crushing you because you couldn't find an IP job.

Bickering about objectively what your chances are is irrelevant.  You have provided the schools you are interested in as well as what your goals are and you have only asked what gives the best chance. 

The answer is obviously Seton Hall. After graduation you will almost certainly practise in New Jersey, but there are far worse places to be.  Yes Newark isn't that great but you are right across the street from train station and the commute shouldn't be that difficult. Pace and Touro are not in the same class as SHU and I know nothing about Syracuse but I have to laugh if you think you will like living in Syracuse better than commuting to Newark.

PS How did you manage to get into Seton Hall and get wait listed at NYLS?  Just so you know NYLS has a really awful reputation, I had a friend who graduated from NYLS summa cum laude and law review and it took her over 18 months to get a "real" legal position.

PPS Never take advice from law professor fanboy/girls they are really quite pathetic.

GodspeedMUFC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 09:31:53 PM »
Jesus Christ, people give the worst f-ing advice on this board.  You realize there is only 1 firm in NJ with a substantial IP practice?  Go to Seton Hall.  Report back in three years about how your debt is crushing you because you couldn't find an IP job.

So what is your advice? Again he didn't ask you whether he should go. He didn't ask you if, compared to your T-14 school, any of his options stacked up.  He asked which of HIS options were best. Taking into account your debt comment, does this mean you think that he should go to Touro with a scholarship?  Personally I think his job prospects, in IP or anything else for that matter, would be far greater if he went to Seton Hall.  That was what his question asked and that is the answer.
In- St. John's ($$$), Seton Hall ($$$$), Temple, Northeastern , Suffolk ($$) and American. Brooklyn

Out- Boston College, Fordham and George Washington.

Still waiting- BU.

LSAT 163 UGPA 3.3 Masters degrees with 3.95 GPA.

AmyWaxFanClubPresident

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 10:32:24 PM »
My advice, as I originally suggested, would be to re-think what he can/wants to do after law school graduation.  The original poster was adamant about practicing IP.  If he isn't one of the few that will land BigLaw (or a boutique),practicing IP is a problem.  If the original OP is fine with being a litigator at a small or mid size firm, then fine.  The problem is two-fold: the IP market for attorneys is very different than it was 4 years ago and small firms do not have IP practices.

BTW, you seem to assume my comments were made because I go to a T14 school.  They weren't.  I happen to have substantial pre-law school experience with IP, and I doubt anyone on this board understands the IP market more than I do.

So what is your advice? Again he didn't ask you whether he should go. He didn't ask you if, compared to your T-14 school, any of his options stacked up.  He asked which of HIS options were best. Taking into account your debt comment, does this mean you think that he should go to Touro with a scholarship?  Personally I think his job prospects, in IP or anything else for that matter, would be far greater if he went to Seton Hall.  That was what his question asked and that is the answer.